Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on the Hornady site. Sounds like a good idea. Thought ya'll might want to check out the new ammo they are coming out with. Looks like just .380, .38 and 9mm for now. But I emailed them and asked about availability of .45acp. She said January 09 .45 will be avail also.

Hornady

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Im going to take a closer look at this ammo, it looks pretty impressive and may replace Gold Dots in my .38 and .45 when they come out.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Interesting. Should be something to watch for. I'll certainly be interested to see some "independent" testing of these rounds, particularly of the 9mm and eventually the .45acp variants.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sidewayz.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Kind of like Powerball. Should be good for the non JHP states like NJ or eventually Kalif. & others.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Kind of like Powerball. Should be good for the non JHP states like NJ or eventually Kalif. & others.:rolleyes:
I doubt they would be legal for carry in NJ.

NJ bans "Hollow nosed and Dum Dum" ammunition. The NJ AG has paperwork (and case law supporting it) out that says "Dum-Dum" is any bullet the nose of which is designed to expand.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts

NJ bans "Hollow nosed and Dum Dum" ammunition. The NJ AG has paperwork (and case law supporting it) out that says "Dum-Dum" is any bullet the nose of which is designed to expand.
What about Federal EFMJ?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
What about Federal EFMJ?

Since the nose of EFMJ is designed to expand upon contact with the target I think it meets the NJ definition of a "Dum-Dum" bullet.

I'm not a lawyer and I can't carry a gun in NJ, but if I could carry in NJ my gun would only be loaded with FMJ.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I'll be giving it a shot, It looks to be really well designed.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

I'm sure a good case could be made against them, but being they do not look like JHP or expanding bullet & I doubt any LEO knows what a "dum-dum" bullet looks like, they may pass the test. Me. I still vote 45caliber LFP in a NJ hd/sd.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm impressed, but scratching my head over the numbers. 1175fps/337ft-lb. for standard pressure .38? Seems hot - suitable for an aluminum-framed gun? What's recoil going to be like? And is that out of the short-barreled revolver they're marketing these rounds for, or a 4" test barrel? I currently carry the Speer Short-Barrel 38 +P rounds in my 642; one of the reasons I trust them is because Speer doesn't monkey around with the numbers - their catalog lists performance from a 2" barrel, since what else is anyone going to be firing them from?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Gonna wait around and wait for the bigger calibers to come out.

But so far, all the other ammo i have gotten from Hornady has been astounding.

And now that you can buy the leverevolution bullets for handloading. that makes me want to get started on handloading even more. really love the 30-30 loads.

Heres to hoping that this new bullet design(kinda a copy of others i know) isnt a flop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts