Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a new holster for my XDs to give me another option for carry. I wasn't for sure what I wanted as I have a Raven Phantom for my XDsc for OWB carry. I knew I wanted a quick on and off holster for my XDs but could not justify an OWB holster since my Raven holds my XDs secure enough to carry. Besides if I can hide my Raven why stick a single stack 9mm in the holster when a double stack .40 will fit and hide just as well? Usually when I carry OWB I am wearing a suit jacket or other jacket for warmth, so the thinness of the XDs is a moot point. I have too small of a waist to hide a gun under a T shirt at 3:00. To hide a gun under light clothing I have to move it to IWB and about the 4:30 position.

I have been searching for a while and finally settled on a single clip IWB taco style kydex holster. It is very similar to the majority of the holsters of this style available. I found this one on ebay for $30 with free shipping. It arrived at my house in less than five days. It is made by Kestrel Holsters and is very well made. The edges are rounded smooth. It has a full sweat guard with a top mounted belt clip. It fits my gun very well and features a retention screw. I loosened it up about a half of a turn after I got it and tried it on. It is actually very comfortable wearing it at 4:30 and even at 3:00. No it is not as comfortable as my Alien Gear hybrid but it is much easier to put on. It is also much more versatile in carry placement. For all day carry I will probably still use my AG holster but this one will be much better for quick trips around town and times when I need to remove the gun from my person, such as driving.

One bonus that I was not expecting is that the ebay posting showed a solid black holster and that is what I thought I was buying. When I got it I immediately noticed that it is the carbon fiber finish. It doesn't matter to me at all since it will always be carried concealed, but it is still a nice touch. Here is the ebay link to the holster and a couple of pictures of what I got with my gun in it.
Springfield XDS IWB Kydex Holster Black Concealment Holster Right or Left | eBay

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like the look of that. Nice review. Might have to pick one up for the same reasons as you. I've got an Alien Gear on the way now.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used my Alien Gear one time since I got this holster. I really like this holster and usually carry it at 3:00. I will use my AG when my circumstances dictate a tucked in shirt, otherwise it stays in the drawer...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used my Alien Gear one time since I got this holster. I really like this holster and usually carry it at 3:00. I will use my AG when my circumstances dictate a tucked in shirt, otherwise it stays in the drawer...
Hey Spxdsc40,

I really like the looks of this holser, I dont have an xds but plan to get one and was looking at these. I currently have the first model of Alien Gear with black leather and its comfy for my SW, how do these holsters feel against the skin since they dont have a leather backing? Is the difference in weight distribution a bother or outstandingly noticeable?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Spxdsc40,

I really like the looks of this holser, I dont have an xds but plan to get one and was looking at these. I currently have the first model of Alien Gear with black leather and its comfy for my SW, how do these holsters feel against the skin since they dont have a leather backing? Is the difference in weight distribution a bother or outstandingly noticeable?
I always wear a shirt behind my holster and find it more comfortable that way. I carry my AG holster around 4:30, which is completely behind my hip. As you can see from the picture I wear the kydex holster right behind the ball of my hip. I did try to carry in the same position as my AG and it did move a little bit. The new position pulls it in tight and my belt holds it from moving nearly as much. As for weight distribution, the AG of course does a better job, but with this holster carried at 3:00, I don't find it to be noticeable enough to change holsters. The biggest advantage over my AG is that this holster is a breeze to take off and put on. This holster is also significantly thinner than my AG.

Reactions: Colton Carter

·
Premium Member
127,978 Posts
That's a nice looking holster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts