Springfield XD Forum banner

New holster and ammo for G27

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  XD-Generate 
#1 ·
I picked up a Blackhawk Serpa for my G27 at the gun show this weekend. I love it so far. The draw is so smooth. If you finger the release the way you are supposed to, when you draw your trigger finger lands in the perfect down the side of the slide position. It came with the belt and paddle attachments, I have it on the belt loop adapter as we speak and will try out the paddle today. Do any of you that use a Serpa have a favorite? I got a deal at 39$ so I was pretty happy.

I also picked up a box of 50 Ranger T 165g bonded JHPs to run. I've always been a fan of Rangers in 9mm and 45ACP so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

#2 ·
I too, use the SERPA with my G27. The paddle option is my choice for CC. You will be amazed how secure the paddle is. Once it is correctly inserted on your belt, it's almost impossible to remove it without unbuckling the belt. Great choice-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I put the paddle on and added the belt hardware. It's her comfy and pulls the holster in closer to the body. VERY nice. It also holds the weight of my 19 better (more balanced) with the paddle.

#4 ·
My only complaint about .40 caliber and short barrels is the extreme muzzle flash they give off. It was blinding and made night training and follow up shots impossible. It was the main reason for dumping my XD40SC and yes I was using older but still ranger bonded ammo.

#6 ·
I shoot in a rather dark indoor range and it's not been too bad. I got 165g Rangers, you think there will be less lightning with those?
If you can identify your target and make follow up shots you are good to go. Every couple of weeks I go out to my buddies ranch and shoot in very low light situations to get some practice in. If you can't do this you might get in good with your range and if your there all alone they might be able to turn of the lights for a few shots.:D

#7 ·
If you can identify your target and make follow up shots you are good to go. Every couple of weeks I go out to my buddies ranch and shoot in very low light situations to get some practice in. If you can't do this you might get in good with your range and if your there all alone they might be able to turn of the lights for a few shots.:D
I'm going to try to get some very low light shots in. If not at the range when I'm out at the farm this summer. We do what we like out there at my uncles so I can call for a night shoot and have no issues getting a handful of guys with a bunch of different guns to test out. Thanks for the heads up Carl.

#11 ·
Speaks for yuns selves.. I am just getting used to the 40 all around but I didn't even like +p in 9 or 45 so I'm really going to find it challenging in 40.

#14 ·
I run 155gr Gold Dots in mine and CC in a CBST.

#17 ·
I too, use the SERPA with my G27. The paddle option is my choice for CC.
Really??:confused: Care to share pics of that? Iv'e got one for a G26, and I can't see concealing this thing with anything other than a coat or sports jacket.

#19 ·
Really??:confused: Care to share pics of that? Iv'e got one for a G26, and I can't see concealing this thing with anything other than a coat or sports jacket.
I'll take some when I get home. I was wearing shorts and a polo. Not saying it didn't print at all or that it's IWB tight to the body but it was pretty good. OWB is so much more comfy to me. I tried CBST and Firearms Holster but after I went OWB I was carrying more often. I was not liking IWB, I'm somewhat thin and don't want to buy pants 2 sizes to big to fit the gun inside properly. I hated sitting and driving with IWB.. I figure with an untucked button down shirt I'll be GTG. Wore it all day Saturday and Sunday my wife didn't notice until she hugged me. If I want to really hide the 27 I can use the Glock sport holster. It makes the 19 and 27 disappear but lacks the manual release I was looking for.

#20 ·
If I want to really hide the 27 I can use the Glock sport holster. It makes the 19 and 27 disappear but lacks the manual release I was looking for.
I find myself using the basic Glock sport holster at times as well. With the short barrels of the baby Glocks, it makes the guns disappear nearly as well as IWB. OWB is more comfortable to me as well. With an untucked shirt, I'm not as concerned about active retention devices on a holster.

Also, love the Ranger T. I carried the 180gr version in my issued G22 for many years. It's good stuff.

#21 ·
I find myself using the basic Glock sport holster at times as well. With the short barrels of the baby Glocks, it makes the guns disappear nearly as well as IWB. OWB is more comfortable to me as well. With an untucked shirt, I'm not as concerned about active retention devices on a holster.

Also, love the Ranger T. I carried the 180gr version in my issued G22 for many years. It's good stuff.
Yeah, I know I shouldn't be so paranoid about the active retention but I can't shake the feeling. I just want the thing to be locked in and secure. I'm really happy with how smooth the draw is on the Serpa though. It really increases my peace of mind when it's in there and it just slips right out when I place my finger correctly.

I can't wait to get over to the range and shoot some of these Ranger's. I'm going to have to work on getting the guys to dim the lights some more in there so I can test out the muzzle flash on these 165s.

#24 ·
Thanks for the pics. May have to revisit that solution.

I tired it with a t-shirt, then a golf shirt, then it went somewhere into the darkness of "the drawer"

#25 ·
Thanks for the pics. May have to revisit that solution.

I tired it with a t-shirt, then a golf shirt, then it went somewhere into the darkness of "the drawer"
It's all in what works for you. Sometimes you gotta try again, sometimes it never works.

#26 ·
Serpa Blackhawk??? You'll shoot your leg off! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have one for my G19 & love it. I use the belt loops & usually cover with a tshirt.

Great pics above, conceals nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.