Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an XD-9mm and put 500 rounds of Winchester 115grain range ammo through it without any problems. Today, I used the Remington UMC 9mm ammo from Gander Mountain (yellow box of 250 rounds you see everywhere) and used all 250 rounds. However today I had several problems and I'm wondering if it's this ammo. The slide would not always open when the clip was done, about 50-75 times the emtpy case would get jammed in the slide, and a few times the gun just wouldn't fire a round. Do you think it's this ammo or any other thoughts? This is only the 5 o5 6th time I've ever shot in my life, but the first time I've had problems like this. Appreciate any help to the new guy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I am far from an expert but if you try other brands for a comparison you might be able to tell if it is the gun or the ammo. I have only shot Blazer Brass in my sub compact and there have been no issues such as yours in 300 rds down range. I would have tried the WWB or UMC but the BB is cheaper where I live. Slide not locking back when the mag (someone will surely be along shortly to tell you that clip are for loading mags) is empty does sound like a gun problem to me though.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The slide not locking back could be operator error...Check your hand position and make sure you are not contacting the slide release when you grip the weapon. This has been a problem with other shooters.
Not firing correctly check your grip again and make sure you are not interfeing with the slide itself and stopping it from going fully into battery and keep a firm grip on the grip safety.
Did you clean the gun before your first range trip?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sound like it could be limp wrist syndrome - grip the gun firmly and lock your joints. You shouldn't have those kinds of issues with Remington ammo. If this is not the case then let someone else with more experience shoot it to see if it continues to have problems and go from there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Usualy when the slide does not lock to the rear, it's due too a faulty magazine. A round getting cought in the slide is called a (stove pipe). Usualy is to do with the extractor. I have only shot Blazer, and some Corbon trough my .40 so far. Now when you say a round would not fire? Do you mean that there was a round in the chamber, but it would fire. If that's the case either a bad primer, or not enough charge. You have to be extra careful not to double feed. It could cause severe injury. If you are new too guns I would have someone with experience watching you. That way you are being safe, and using proper technique. Also next time you have ammo issues, call the company and give them the lot number. I had some rounds that had a low poweder charge one day when at the range.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you're getting stove pipes and failure to lock the slide on the last round I would suspect limpwristing.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not always the case. I do not limp rist, and I had problems with my slide not locking sometimes on my old .40. Got new mags problem solved. I can say the olny time I had a stove pipe, was qualifing in the service.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep, but he's getting stove pipes too which usually happen when you limpwrist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I have a feeling my hand was blocking the slide and limp wristing as well. I'm going to the range tomorrow with my Friend who's a Marine...He'll be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts