Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up. I've been looking at this site for awhile and gathering info. This is a great site with lots of helpful folks. I've learned a lot already.

I've been thinking about a Taurus Mill Pro in 40 or 45 cal. or the XD 40 Sub compact. After looking at many different sources, I'm pretty well settled on the XD. I have yet to see either gun in person. I live in a small town in north central Wyoming so you can't just go to the local gun store and find what you're looking for.

I'm just getting back into shooting after a many-year lay off. My first handgun (bought in 1969 and which I still own) is a Ruger 44 mag flat top with the 6 1/2" barrel. I shot my first deer with this handgun. I used to have a blast casting bullets and reloading for this gun. My other handgun is a Browning Medalist .22 pistol bought in the early 70's.

I have very little experience with centerfire pistols. In the past couple of months, I've shot a 40 cal. Glock and a 45 cal S&W99. The Glock shot better for me than the Smith but the trigger guard on the Glock was hard on the knuckle on my middle finger. The trigger on the Smith was pretty poor.

For the questions: I can have my local dealer order the XD compact for $445. I've seen other prices on the net cheaper. Can anyone recommend a good source that would have a cheaper price? There's a local guy with a FFL that will take delivery for me. I've read a little about rust on the slide. Is this just on the blued slides? If I buy the "Bi tone" is that a stainless steel slide and would this solve the rust problem?

Thanks,

WyoBob

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You could look on auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com. I got mine from auctionarms.com for $430 (XD40 SC), $20 shipping, $15 Trans. Not a stellar deal, but not too bad either. The thing is, the XD SC in 40 is not nearly as common as a Service 40 or SC in 9, or any other variation of the XD (except maybe the 40 Tactical). In my experience though, getting exactly what you want is worth paying for.

If you thought the Glock trigger was nicer than the S&W trigger, you may want to consider the XD over the Taurus, as the Taurus has a similar long DA pull.

As far as rusting goes...I haven't had any. That's not to say I won't ever. But then again, it's made of metal, and metal reacts with moisture to produce rust; it's just chemistry. If you take care of it, take some preventive measures, I don't think I'd worry about rusting. Oh, and the Bi-Tone...it will rust too; it just takes a little longer.

I personally love my XD. It's the only gun that I own that I've got "the connection" with; maybe it's because it's the first that I bought with my own money, maybe it's because I rely on it to protect me if ever needed. I'm not sure. But I don't think I'd trade it for anything right now.

Anyway, welcome to the board. It's a great place full of great people.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome. Not sure about the pricing for the XD (here in Denver, they seem to be running $420-$470),. I think the rusting problem is exaggerated. I've had my XD (regular finish) for almost two years now. I have shot it in rain/snow, left it in it's holster for weeks, and the only thing that has happened is some holster wear (which I think makes it look better). Some here use Armadillo, I just use TetraGun on my slide once a month or so and it's fine.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got back from Sheridan, WY and they had XD's at Shipton's. They have the 3 inch XD for $440 and the 4 inch for $420. The longer grip on the 4 inch XD was very comfortable and, of course, with the smaller gun, the little finger has no place to go.

I was very impressed with the quality of these guns. The pistols had very good triggers as far as I'm concerned. I bought the 3 inch with a black slide. Now, of course, I'm having second thoughts that I should have bought the larger grip. But, I think I read here that you could use the magazine from the 4 inch and buy an after market magazine "filler" and use this in the 3 inch gun which would solve the grip problem and, of course, gain me 3 shots. Does anyone know if SA would trade one new short mag for the longer one?
The other option would be the Pearce Grip magazine extension.

Is there any advantage to the 4" service over the 3" sub compact besides extra magazine capacity and possibly better accuracy due to the longer sight radius? I guess I'm thinking along the line of after market rods and springs. As far as I can tell, these aren't available for the sub. Is this something I should have considered? Possibly there are aftermarket rods and springs being developed for the sub? I suppose I could exchange for the 4" as long as I don't shoot the 3".

Thanks for the comments on rusting. It seems that I've owned a lot of guns over the past 40 years and I've never had any problems with rust so I don't know why I should worry now. Thanks, again, for all the great info on this group.

Bob

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
With the number of XD's out there, and so few instances of recoil spring failure, I wouldn't worry too much about it. A replacement rod/spring may be available some day...maybe :D ?..., but if it isn't, I won't be too concerned.

As for the Pearce Grip Extensions; get them. I put them on as soon as I got my XD and haven't looked back. They make the gun significantly easier to shoot accurately and make it more comfortable, and don't contribute to it's size enough to be an issue when concealing it.

Oh, and yeah, congrats on the new gun :).

·
Registered
231 Posts
3-screw Super Blackhawk? Nice...very nice.
Welcome and congrats on the new family member. If you haven't already checked them out, here are a couple of links for accessories:

www.pistol-gear.com (old school)

www.xd-hs2000.com (ajamesp51)

Both carry the Pearce grip extensions (pinky rests) which, IMO, are a necessity on the subcompact. I have them on all 4 of my mags.

There is a thread somewhere here about Springfield's new mag offer for the Sub, it's a full-size mag with a filler to take up the gap. Kinda spendy ($44.95 IIRC).
Again, welcome, and be safe!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
garyk said:
3-screw Super Blackhawk? Nice...very nice.
Welcome and congrats on the new family member.
GaryK,

Thanks for the info, Gary.
Actually, my 44 mag is just a "Blackhawk". It has a 6 1/2" barrel, fluted cylinder and an aluminum grip frame. The Superblackhawks have a 7 1/2" barrel, un-fluted cylinder and a steel grip frame. My old Blackhawk has what is referred to as a "plum red" loading gate. As I remember, the gates didn't take the blue properly.

I've had a lot of fun with the 44. I loved casting lead bullets and reloading. I used the cast bullets for plinking and 240 gr Hornady bullets for hunting. As I mentioned, I shot my first deer with the 44. One shot in the lungs from 75 yards out of a tree stand on the Platte River. I had done a lot of practice but also used everything I could use to steady my aim. I used to fill a bunch of gallon jugs and go up to my pasture and place them from 50 to a couple hundred yards. They really blew up nice. I used a sitting postion with my belt around my knees and a laynard from my neck to the butt of the gun to make the long shots. Of course, I didn't connect every time at 200 yards, maybe one out of 10 - 15 rounds but I wouldn't have wanted to be standing out there. Now, 30 years later, I don't suppose I could do near that good. Eyes, ears, limbs have all gone downhill since then.

Here's a pic of the old and the new.

Bob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Son of Norway said:
Welcome sir. I admire your taste in pistols.
Thanks, S.O.N. I've had a lot of fun over the years with the 44. Looking forward to getting up to speed with the 40 Sub. I hope to try it out tomorrow. One thing I found out is that I can see the sights on the XD much better than on the old Ruger. I really like the white dot sights on the XD. I didn't realize my eyes had gone downhill since the last time I shot the Ruger 10 years ago.

I've thought about selling the Ruger as I don't hunt anymore (I prefer fly fishing for trout, now). But, I've owned the gun for so long and had so much fun with it, it's hard to let go. But think of all the ammo I could buy for the XD!

WyoBob

·
Registered
231 Posts
TCD said:
personally I'd hold on to the gun and give it to a family member or friend down the road
I agree. It's a family member. OTOH, if you do decide to sell it, you will find no shortage of willing buyers (myself included!).

Time to start reloading for the .40!

·
Registered
87 Posts
wyobob, i have a super, a lot of fun, we call it the house gun cause you shoot all the way through the house and still hit what you shoot at. i have the sub-40 also. love it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bd said:
Interesting looking grips on that Ruger, are they original?
bd
No, they're after market. Herrett's from Idaho. The gun didn't come with the orignal grips. It had fake stag handles as I remember and made the gun uncomfortable to shoot so I ordered the Herrett's right after I bought the gun in 1969 or 1970.

WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tbrd said:
wyobob, i have a super, a lot of fun, we call it the house gun cause you shoot all the way through the house and still hit what you shoot at. i have the sub-40 also. love it!
I thought about trading up to a Super years ago. The square back trigger guard didn't work for me and I liked the shorter barrel. Of course, after market grips would have solved the trigger guard problem.

WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tbrd said:
That's a good one. I've used my 44 as my home defense gun for years. Probably not a good idea if you have close neighbors. I lived for 35 years in south central Nebraska in a small town and now live in even a smaller town. I really never worried too much about break-ins. After the IBP packing plant was built in the Nebraska town a few years ago and there was a giant influx of packing plant workers, I did start to worry about home defense. I think our town (pop. 7,500) increased population by 4,000 folks. Crime went up quite a bit and gangs moved in. That and the smell of the packing plant is one reason I moved to Wyoming.

WyoBob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts