Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have put 250 rounds through my XD 40, and am super pleased with it. Just holds in the hand very well, and a joy to shoot.

But.....the first round that you load into the chamber always sticks. Almost a FTF situation, but you can sort of re-chamber it. Not cool though. No FTF from mechanical action while firing, just the very first one of every magazine.

I thought that a few rounds to break it in may be what's needed, so I put 250 rounds into it. No joy. Then I took it down to clean it and to try some polish to the feed ramp. But I found this:

Ack! Not cool. What would you guys recommend for this. It seems that the flat headed .40's are doing this, but clearly this is not the way it needs to be. But what do I do about it? And is this barrel safe even?

Gundahar

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Are you riding the slide home when you chamber the round or letting it fall forcefully?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
If you are allowing the slide fall forcefully, are you loading from a decocked striker position? What I mean is, are you firing the weapon while empty, then loading the mag and chambering a round? Pay attention to the back of the pistol when you attempt to load the first round. See if the striker indicator is sticking, evidence that the striker itself may be sticking. I'd also check to see if the striker channel is gummed up with carbon or anything else and see if the striker retaining pin is broken. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but do you still have the striker dampening spring? Losing that in a dissassembly and cleaning could cause your issue. It is the spring that goes in front of the striker.

I would imagine the reason you have so much fouling on the barrel is that it is firing from a not entirely closed position. If the striker channel isn't gummed up, the striker retaining pin isn't broken and you haven't lost your striker dampening spring, send it to Springfield for repair/replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys,

No insult taken, or maybe even possible. This was the first time this gun was disassembled, so no chance of anything being lost before that, unless by the factory.

I have tried both letting it fall forcefully and also riding the slide back, thinking it was user error. But both ways the first round will stick on the feedramp, although it can be jostled in by a second slide.

Great tip on the fouling--I was so focused on the scratches that I didn't even pay attention to anything else.

Thanks again all,

Gundahar

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Northern California!

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Friendly forum! Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll update what's happening with my XD40 as it happens.

Gun

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. I think you need to contact Springfield Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
is the feed ramp dented?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I hope you sort this out...:)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome! I'd have to agree with others that contacting SA would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
23,655 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Welcome from Northern Michigan. Where in Maryland? My daughter lives in Bethesda, and we are going to be there 8/19 -8/21.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Any update?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts