Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum and new to the xd, really enjoying both so far. I bought a xd40 a few weeks ago and have a xd45c on order now for my ccw (bought a IWB from old faithful holsters). I have been searching threads and sites for ammo prices. The sites I have checked are: sgammo, lucky gunner, ammo man, ammuntiontogo, and palmetto state armory. At my local walmart I can get 100ct wwb for $35.27 (tax incl.) for the .45 and $31 (tax incl.) for the .40. Anyone know of sites that offer it cheaper than that when you include in shipping cost. Another local walmart has the Tula ammo but I am not familiar with the steel, any thoughts of effects on gun vs. brass?

Also, I am leaning towards Federal HST for my SD rounds but cannot find any. I read somewhere that ones that were labeled HST Tactical were just the Hydra Shock with new labeling. Anyone know where I can get these from or have a better suggestion for SD rounds?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
For practice grab what you can that is cheap. Some brands will be a bit dirty burning but they mostly all go bang. Right now with prices up, anything under abt 39 cents a round is a good buy (tax or shipping included). Most 1000 case are going at $360 and up.
Steel and aluminum cases are fine unless you reload and need brass. The steel cases may not seal as well in the chamber, so a bit of blowby with debris left in the chamber is normal. Steel expands when fired but being springy it will shrink back more than brass and can allow residual pressure to push some debris back along the chamber. A little blowby at pistol pressures after the bullet has left the barrel should not be any problem or cause damage. You may want to clean the chamber after steel cases before switching to brass as the brass stays more expanded and may drag on the dirt left from shooting steel and slow the slide.
HST is way beyond the 20 yr old hydro-shok design (Mustang vs Model T - one developed after the other but not much other comparison) and is some of the best ammo for SD you can find. Accurate and opens reliably when shot through cloth. With the wide mouth, ensure it feeds reliably in your pistol before selecting any ammo for SD.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Remember that at Wal-Mart you will pay sales tax, if you mail order from within your own state you will pay shipping AND sales tax. That's why I almost never buy from Midway USA :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts