Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
New to the forum, and looking for a new carry gun as well.
I'm looking at the XDm 3.8 compact in 9mm.
I already own a 9mm so it would be nice not to have to buy 2 different calibers of hand gun ammo. Thou I am not dead set on the 9mm just yet.

I currently own a Beretta 90-Two 9mm (Not a 92, not the same gun) that I have don some work to and have put about 1,000 rounds threw so far. I love the gun but its a bit big for carry in the summer time. And rather heavy as well. So I think it will end up as more of a target gun then any thing.

I don't have a CPL yet ether. I wanted to buy a gun just for carry before I went and took the class.

I have looked at several guns and the XDm compact seams to be the gun that will best fit my needs. I really like the fact that I can have a compact gun but a full sized grip when I want. And the fact it will take full sized mags with a grip sleeve. Yet still be a compact when I need a smaller gun.
It will allow me to have 1 gun that I can tailor to my needs.

Is there any thing I should know about the gun before I buy one?
Any known problems?
Or any thing I should add to it or change when I get it?
Can it stand up to 1,000s of rounds of use without problems? (My cousin has a Beretta 92fs that he has put almost 30,000 rounds threw with no problems. Hes the one that recommended the XDm to me.)
I don't know much about the XDm other then what I have read on the net and in mags that I have bout.
This will also be my first time buying a composite gun.

I'm looking at getting the 2 tone version and will probably buy a few extra mags and a holster or 2 as well.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum..

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

All XDs and XDMs will stand up to the rigors of thousands of rounds. The XDM compact is a nice gun, but if you are looking for primarily a carry gun, you might consider an XD subcompact. Its a little smaller, and also has an extended mag to use on the range. The XDsc is what I carry and IMHO one of the best CCW guns there is. Also cheaper than the new XDM.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk Badmunky.

I just got my bi-tone XD9 service model not too long ago. Excellent pistol and it's real easy to field strip for general maintenance and cleaning.

Just coat the stainless steel slide with oil regularly and it should hold up it's streak free shine. I use Eezox for protection and anti corrosion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

All XDs and XDMs will stand up to the rigors of thousands of rounds. The XDM compact is a nice gun, but if you are looking for primarily a carry gun, you might consider an XD subcompact. Its a little smaller, and also has an extended mag to use on the range. The XDsc is what I carry and IMHO one of the best CCW guns there is. Also cheaper than the new XDM.
I looked at the XDsc at a local shop, its nice gun but I have big hands and the grip is a bit small for me. I'm sure I can shoot it just fine but I'm more comfortable with a bit more grip then the SC offers me.

I think the XDm 3.8 better fits my needs as a whole and I dont have the money to buy 2 guns right now. So I think I will get the XDm first, and then I may buy the XDsc later on if I see a need for it.

Glad to here that they stand up to a lot of rounds thou. I will be putting many rounds threw this gun. As it will be my carry gun I want to practice with it often.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Colroado

I have a XD9mm Service which has to have 6000 rounds thru it ... no problems with either factory or reloads

·
Registered
342 Posts
I looked at the XDsc at a local shop, its nice gun but I have big hands and the grip is a bit small for me. I'm sure I can shoot it just fine but I'm more comfortable with a bit more grip then the SC offers me.
A lot of people put a Pearce grip extension on their subcompacts. It gives you enough room for you pinky finger, and it only costs a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Premium Member
21,736 Posts
hello there