Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, name here is Tony, and this is my first post with this forum.

I come here as a died in the wool wheel gun man who had the oppertunity to finally shoot a bottom feeder he actually liked....a lot...!
I own 3 S&W revolvers, 1 Ruger single action Vaquero, and 1 Colt single action Frontier Scout. In the past I had a Colt 1911A1 that was loose fitted, and very inaccurate, and I also (more recently) had a Beretta 96FS that was a reliable gun, but also grossly inaccurate. After the Beretta, I figured I'd stick with the wheel guns until my buddy let me shoot his new 4" XD in .40 S&W......
I've shot many 1911's from Kimber, SA, and Colt, I've also shot a fair share of that other plastic bottom feeder from Austria, and was never all that impressed with any of them. This XD from Springfield Armory really set the hook in me. I found it to be extremely accurate, good stock iron sights, the grip feels perfect in my hand with a nice natural point to target.

Today I got to compare this XD with two other Glocks, a 4" in 9mm, and a 5" in .40S&W. There was nothing to compare, the XD in my humble opinion was the much better gun. The 4" 9mm Glock ran a distant second, and the 5" reminded me why I've disliked plastic bottom feeders for so long.
Well now I gotta get me one of these XD's, and I believe I'll be looking to get a 4" model in 9mm. This will be a range gun used mainly for steel plate compitions, bowling pin shoots, combat poppers, and quite possibly for inter-club IDPA type matches.

I'll check back and let you all know what I end up getting, and how I like it once it makes it to the range. In the mean time I'll poke around these forums here, and ask all the dump new guy questions about these guns....(after all, I'm used to guns with cylinders on them, this'll be new territory for this old wheel gunner)

·
Registered
27 Posts
it must have been a really" dramatic event" for you to switch from revolvers to semi- autos :p you will love your xd when you finally get it :D congratulations :!: :!:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
t must have been a really" dramatic event" for you to switch from revolvers to semi- autos
I wouldn't go so far as to say I've "switched" Supremo, as I'm not about to give up my prescious wheel guns. I like to think that I'm just adding a new dimention to my shooting game......

As I read some of the posts here, I've seen some guys mention using a white crayon for something, what exactly is the crayon for.....?

Also "Armadillo"...is this something used on XD's to preserve the finish....?

For a standard duty range holster what seems to be the best choice that holds the gun securly, covers the trigger gaurd...(required by my range)...and won't wear the finish off in a hurry.....?

When I had my Beretta 96FS I had a Fobus holster that worked well, are these holsters also good with the XD......?

I appreciate your advice.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the club!
As far as range holsters go I would recommend the holster you can get in the package deal with an XD, since it doesn't change the price of the XD it's free! If you find it to be to tight fitting just spray a little silicone on it and it's good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Tony!
Glad to see you over here. Must be some serious itch you've got there.
The white crayon is for filling in the engravings on the slide; just for looks. Armadillo or Eezox are protective finishes to keep the rust-monster at bay. I've used a Fobus paddle for 2 years now and have only minor finish wear to show for it.

Let the countdown begin for the "I got one" thread!

(garyk/nm on THR)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is a pic of the white crayon.

Take a white crayon and rub it over the lettering and then wipe it off. Stays on pretty good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help so far, and the white crayon treatment looks good, I'll have to try that when I get mine.....

Seems there is some concerns expressed in relation to these guns having a higher than normal issue with rust, how bad is this problem, living at the South Jersey seashore will I have to take extra precautions to keep this thing in rust free condition....?

Again, I'm sure these are all old questions that you guys have probably answered a million times, I appriciate you taking the time to answer them again for me.....

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Welcome Tony, have fun, shoot safe and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Just one comment polarbear...REDUCE PICTURE SIZE! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts