Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want another handgun to take with me to the range.
Will probably be picking something up this time next week.

Looking for something larger than my XDs.
I'm thinkin' an XD(M) 5.25".
I've held one and I've read/heard good things about it, not to mention it looks good.

Still open to suggestions.

Whatcha got, XD Talk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I prefer 9mm at this point as I'm still in the early stages, and typically have ammunition readily available, if not on hand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 5.25" 9mm. I am very happy with it. But I wouldn't recommend buying it for any form of carry. I don't use it for CC(Glock 30S and Glock 27 Gen4) or OC. What are you planning on doing with it? Have you looked at Glock? Smith and Wesson?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got an XDs for carry. This new pistol will be a nightstand/range gun.

I've seen plenty of Glocks, but will never own one for personal reasons.

I own a p.o.s. S&W SD9 VE, and am not a fan. Which S&W are you thinking?

Springfield has exceeded expectations thus far, so I definitely have no problem with continuing to give them my business if it turns out that another handgun from the XD lineup is right for me.

I just wish I could shoot one before purchase.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Go to a range with rentals and rent one. Or do you have any friends with one?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm so cheap.
The idea of renting a handgun from my local range makes me wanna puke.
It's only $10 to rent, but then you MUST use their ammo.
Last I was there, it cost me $25 for a 50 count box of Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ's, and when I go shoot, it's not to put only 50 rounds down range.

And no, none of my friends own one.

I'll probably bite the bullet and end up renting one, but I won't be happy about it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I bought mine without renting and haven't looked back. I shoot it very well. But lets be honest. Most modern firearms have the ability to be very very accurate. It's up to the shooter to make it that way, so when people say I sold it because it wasn't accurate or something of that nature. It isn't the pistols fault, it isn't a bad shooting gun. It's that the gun and shooter didn't jive or more than likely the shooter is placing blame on the gun for his shortcomings. So get something that feels good in your hand and that is a price you can live with and have fun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love our newest local range. $10 to rent and ammo is actually cheaper than Walmart. I think someone finally realized keeping 15 lanes packed full of customers 10 hrs a day is a better way than gouging on ammo. They don't even require use of their ammo. That being said I still end up spending $75 every time I go just because it's a blast.

If you have an XDS I think you'll like the xdm 9 better than say a 45. My best friend has an XDS that I have fired a number of times and the grip on the 9mm M feels at least similar to it, at least to me it does anyhow. Owning an xdm 45 and 9 myself there's a distinctive difference in how fat the 45 feels despite only being 1/8" wider. It could be my hands but the 9 imo is nearly perfect but even my wife and my friend think it's better so I must be onto something.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Renting guns and shooting them is way less exprnsive than buying a gun that dont fit you because joe blow on the internet says its a great gun. Im sure thats how you got into the SWDVE you hate so much. Go rent and shoot. If youre serious about this gun as a HD gun, getting a gun that you shoot well is paramount. Guns are not one size fits all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my defense, I purchased the S&W because the price tag. It was my first gun and at the time I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I only risked making a $300 mistake vs a $600 mistake. Granted it's still $300 out of my own pocket, but not for long. I've got a buyer lined up.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
XD 4" service. :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Someone learn me somethin' real quick like:

Major differences between XD and XD(M)?

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Slide shape, grip texturing, sights, (M) more money.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have a competition .45 5.25. Honestly, I don't seem to use it that much. It's a good shooter, I just prefer 1911s for range fun. Don't tell anyone, but for 9mm fun I use a DW pointman.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Different grip, barrel, trigger. It's a completely different weapon for the most part. If you're between them I'd rent and shoot for sure because they are both great and personal preference will make a big difference. I prefer the xdm style grip. The xd is like a glock to me in that regards.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
It's a completely different weapon for the most part.
IMO, your kidding yourself, or justifying your purchase. In which is OK too. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the quick research I just did, I'm thinking I'll enjoy the XD(M) better. Only one way to find out.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Have XDM 9 in the 3.8 barrel. Love it. But if I did it over would go with the compact. There is a thread on the two here somewhere. Something to consider.

Good luck in yur choice. Let us know what u decided and why.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got an XDs for carry. This new pistol will be a nightstand/range gun.

I've seen plenty of Glocks, but will never own one for personal reasons.

I own a p.o.s. S&W SD9 VE, and am not a fan. Which S&W are you thinking?

Springfield has exceeded expectations thus far, so I definitely have no problem with continuing to give them my business if it turns out that another handgun from the XD lineup is right for me.

I just wish I could shoot one before purchase.

No offense but I will ignore the "will never own one for personal reasons."
The SD9VE is a budget pistol so you shouldn't judge S&W on that. They have nice M&P 9mm. They also have Pro series that can go "head to head" to the 5.25.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts