Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just wanted to ask anyone out there a small question i'm sure yove been asked before. Would really like to here why I should get a xd over a glock. I have read a lot on both but would like to here first hand the pros and cons. Just cant decide on which one to get. I would definitely go with an xd 9mm or Glock 17 or 19. I am small in stature 5'8" and 170, small hands. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have never had either one of them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm about your size, and the glock grip felt to long in my hands. the XD fit.

Both are good pistols. Go and Feel one up, and see which one fits you better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If possible, try to shoot both. I wanted an XD until I fired a Glock. The XD still has pros, like grip safety, loaded chamber indicater, and steel sights (Glocks have plastic).

I just felt more comfortable and shot better with a Glock. I have average to large sized hands and the XD felt slightly small in my hands, if that makes a difference. But the XD has lots of things going for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll let you in on what my factors were in choosing between a.40 XD and Glock. You can decided if they apply to you.

The Glock did not have what I consider a natural grip angle. The XD does! To test this I pointed each weapon at a point without using the sights. With my wrist in its natural shooting position the XD was dead on, the Glock was not.

The grip safety on the XD provides an additional level of safety. In a close fight, a combatant would need a complete grip on my weapon to turn it on me.

The loaded chamber indicator lets me know by feel that the chamber is occupied.

The striker indicator lets you know that you are ready to fire, also in low/no light.

The Glock has a better finish, it doesn't have the surface rust problems that have been reported on the XD. That said, no rust on my XD yet. If it does, Black-T finish for me.

Lifetime Guarantee!

All of this said, my factors in deciding may not apply to you. I spent half of my adult life as an Infantryman and Special Forces Weapons SGT. I look at weapons from that point of view. Both are an excellent choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
StogieC said:
The loaded chamber indicator lets me know by feel that the chamber is occupied.

The striker indicator lets you know that you are ready to fire, also in low/no light.
The glock has both of these as well. The Gen3's have the LCI on the extractor.

If the trigger is back on the glock the gun is decocked. If it is forward it is ready to fire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad Glock added the LCI. The last one I fired didn't have one.

The trigger is the LAST thing I would want to feel for when checking my weapon's condition. Keep fingers away until ready to engage.
The striker is also very easy to see on the XD when cocked. More so than the sights in reduced lighting.

I'm considering TFO Tru-Glo sights.

Almost forgot to mention the trigger. Glock's just feels mushy to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I'm accustomed to.

·
Registered
359 Posts
how bout this?

If you always treat a gun as cocked and loaded, you don't need all of those indicators! I'm a firm believer that one should check for him/herself if a gun is "ready", and not rely on mechanical devices for that purpose. Heck, if your gun is always ready to go, then you know it is always loaded (can't load an XD without cocking it and making it ready).

I'm not bashing those firearms with indicators, but to me, the feel of the weapon in my hand, ergonomics, pointability are much more important than the "indicators"

Shot my friends new GLOCK 26, it will be his BUG as soon as he's out of the academy. I think it might have liked the trigger on the GLOCK just a tiny bit more (less takeup, but not an issue during rapid fire, the resets feel similar to me), but I shot the XD better, and acquired the sights faster.

It's all about how the thing feels in your hand, as others have already posted.

-stunks

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Handle and shoot both...Then decide. Subjective opinions from us Bozos will only confuse you more............(pssssst...get a Sig) :roll:

·
Registered
885 Posts
How about the ambi mag release?
XD has it, Glock does not.

With smaller hands, you can drop the mag with your trigger finger (or middle finger of your strong hand) without altering your strong-hand grip. You may fing it difficult to drop the mag on a Glock without altering your grip.

It's not that vital if you're planning on buying a range pistol only, but it will save time during reloads if you are considering a self-defence weapon.

It's just something else to consider.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have small hands compared to other people I know. I can grip the XD9 just fine. Springfield boasts about the ergonomics of the gun. Let me tell you they are correct. I owned quite a few Glocks over the years. Having experienced both now, I'd buy a XD hands down. I'm not saying Glocks aren't good.. I'm just saying the XD feels better in my hands. It's not blocky like the Glocks.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
XD_Dan said:
How about the ambi mag release?
XD has it, Glock does not.

With smaller hands, you can drop the mag with your trigger finger (or middle finger of your strong hand) without altering your strong-hand grip. You may fing it difficult to drop the mag on a Glock without altering your grip.

It's not that vital if you're planning on buying a range pistol only, but it will save time during reloads if you are considering a self-defence weapon.

It's just something else to consider.
I've found few pistols that have a mag release that is easily reached with the opposable digit without shifting the gun in your hand somewhat. The 1911 is the exception in my case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I prefer my XD over Glock for many of the same reasons already given, and I am especially a lot more confident in handling the gun with its grip safety.

I've read about accidental discharge incidents when re-holstering Glocks, and whether rare or not, I'd rather have the extra level of safeguard. Plus there's no trade-off when it comes to readiness.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have small hands and the XD fits me better than another other handgun I have owned. For me, it points more naturally as well.
When my gun case is opened at the range, my son and I always go first for the XD40. It has worked so well for me that, once I had the XD, I sold a Glock 26 and 36.
The Glock was a perfectly fine gun, but the XD was perfect for me. I've also purchased a 9 mm barrel, so my XD has become a 2-in-one.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
man i really appreciate all the advice. I have been around guns all my life. Have growed up hunting and fishing and being in the outdoors. It's funny, once i have growed up I really appreciate the time factor of getting out. I still like the idea of the t finish on the glock. I am good about cleaning though, so if I like it enough , I'll probably get an xd 9. Just don't know about what looks the best, bi, od, or blued.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
jjw3 said:
man i really appreciate all the advice. I have been around guns all my life. Have growed up hunting and fishing and being in the outdoors. It's funny, once i have growed up I really appreciate the time factor of getting out. I still like the idea of the t finish on the glock. I am good about cleaning though, so if I like it enough , I'll probably get an xd 9. Just don't know about what looks the best, bi, od, or blued.
Certainly a subjective choice. I personally prefer the stealthy black hue!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Once I retired from le, I intended to buy a Glock for ccw use since I was no longer restricted by dept. rules. I had never heard of an XD.

I went to the local range and shot all of the subcompacts in 9mm, 40 and 45 cal. The grip didn't feel that comfortable to me, at times, the slide wouldn't lock back on the last shot and there was no ambi mag release (I'm lefty, if you're not, it is not a big deal).

I was told the problem with the slide was me limp wristing. I had never heard of that before and had never experienced it before. Even when I did what the rangemaster told me to do to correct, it sometimes occurred.

He suggested I shoot a 4" XD in 9mm (He didn't have the SC). I did and liked the way it felt and shot. Yes, I realize it was a bigger gun, but it still felt better. I liked the ambi mag release, the steel mags and sights and everything about it. I ended up buying the SC 9mm for ccw use and really like the gun. I know Glocks are fine guns, but it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They're both good guns. It all depends on what you're going to do with it. If this is going to be your only gun, never to buy another, then I would say go with the Glock. It's a proven weapon, has the better finish, and you're more likely to find parts for it in your local gun shop than the XD.

I've got both and like both. The triggers are similar, but I find the Glock trigger helps my accuracy. It just seems to have a crisper breaking point that's easier for me to find during the trigger pull and I'm a bit more accurate with it. The XD trigger is not bad, it's just softer and harder for me to find the break. In a defensive situation that doesn't really matter at all though. The XD is coming along pretty well. There's a pretty strong growing aftermarket for it now and guys that specialize in customizing it too. I've got the 9mm service model and haven't had any problems at all other than the finish isn't that great. It's been totally reliable as have my Glocks. It's hard to go wrong with either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts