Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased not only my first XD but my first gun period. I did alot of research and talked to alot of different people about what they liked. I went into it knowing that the price of the gun wasn't too big of an issue as long as it wasn't crazy priced. I was just looking for a good home defense gun that I can carry and conceal in the future. I was really looking for one that had a good amount of safety features because I have kids.

I ended up going with the XDm compact 40. I got a good deal on it at 590, it came with the case and all the added extras, and I just found out that I get 3 extra magazines for free. So let's just say that I couldn't be happier.

Any suggestions on things that I should buy to go along with it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
So I just purchased not only my first XD but my first gun period. I did alot of research and talked to alot of different people about what they liked. I went into it knowing that the price of the gun wasn't too big of an issue as long as it wasn't crazy priced. I was just looking for a good home defense gun that I can carry and conceal in the future. I was really looking for one that had a good amount of safety features because I have kids.

I ended up going with the XDm compact 40. I got a good deal on it at 590, it came with the case and all the added extras, and I just found out that I get 3 extra magazines for free. So let's just say that I couldn't be happier.

Any suggestions on things that I should buy to go along with it?
If you're planning on carrying, a better holster and a gun belt.

For the holster, you'll get a lot of recommendations, including the Crossbreed Supertuck (frequently abbreviated CBST) and the CompTac Minotaur. I went with a holster by Tommy Theis at Theisholsters.com. It's similar in design to both of the others I mentioned. You can look around and see what you like.

Crossbreed also makes a gun belt. The one I got was from the Belt Man at thebeltman.net.

Also, if you don't already have a safe of some kind, that's an absolute necessity. Not only will it keep the gun away from the kids when you're not around, but a good safe will help keep your gun out of the hands of thieves. Burglary is one of the main ways that guns get into the illegal market, and you don't want to be contributing to that. It doesn't necessarily have to be a full on, 800lb, 30 long-gun capacity safe. Just something that you can bolt to the wall or the floor to make getting your gun more effort than a smash and grabber would be willing to make.

·
Registered
403 Posts
CCW permit, CB SuperTuck, and a gun belt! :D

The Pearce grip extensions make a world of difference on the compacts. I'd highly recommend one of those.

Pearce Grips
Big +1 to this. I don't know why SA doesn't just ship with the Pearce grip or something like it to begin with. It adds length to the front of the grip but not the back and the back is really what you have to worry about in terms of printing and the like. The extra length means you can get all your fingers on the gun.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Congrats on the Springer - it's an excellent gun!

I carry theXD9SC daily. The add-ons I've installed are:
PRP Ultimate trigger kit
TruGlo TFO sights
Pearce mag extension
Pachmayr slip-on grip

As others have mentioned, get a good holster/belt combo. Don't scrimp on this. You don't have to spend out the ying-yang, either. I use a Dickies work belt from Wal-Mart. It's a stitched laminate of leather/stiff canvas and holds the holster securely. Frankly, for me, the less holster - the better. I really like the supplied XD Gear paddle kydex OWB. It's secure and tight against my body.

Bottom line on all this is carry/use what's best for YOU.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the recommendations. I have looked into the Crossbreed Supertuck and it seems to be very popular. I think I will probably go with that one. Is a gun belt a must or will a regular belt work?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to the world of those who refuse to be a victim. The country is safer because we have one more responsible, safe gun owner.

As has already been stated, get a good belt and a RIGID holster-----either leather or Kydex that completely covers the trigger and slide. Don't get a soft, nylon holster. They do not protect the trigger area as well.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Is a gun belt a must or will a regular belt work?
You don't need a dedicated "gun" belt. What you DO need is stiff. Not necessarily thick or wide, but STIFF. I've used a work belt from HD, and am currently using the one I mentioned from Wal-Mart. I like my waistband/belt tight, so that helps, too.

Remember it has to function and it has to be comfortable, too. If it isn't, you won't want to wear it all the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok thanks for the recommendations. I have looked into the Crossbreed Supertuck and it seems to be very popular. I think I will probably go with that one. Is a gun belt a must or will a regular belt work?
I think most would say it's a necessity. I've tried just using think belts, but they really don't compare to the stability of a properly constructed gun belt. A gun belt has much more vertical stability and whatever holster you use will feel rock solid in a gun belt. This means you won't be tempted to go adjusting it and the gun won't flop around as you move.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum... as no one else has said it yet and you mentioned this is your first firearm... the best investment you can make is training, meaning safety, handling, and use if you have not done so previously... and maybe a refresher if you have.

The single best piece of advice I can give you is ALWAYS check the chamber every time you pick up or put down ANY weapon... every time... for the rest of your life.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
+2 and welcome from Centrlal Florida!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody. I thankfully have alot of family and friends that own and have owned for along time. I will most certainly be getting with them and learning from their experiences. A buddy of mine has a home range that I will be going to alot as well. So I think my next purchases will be a gun belt and crossbreed supertuck. Another dumb question but do you think that I could trade a couple of my magazines in at local gun shop for some ammo or accessories? I really don't need five.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just one . . . ??? (haha). Seriously, congratulations and a great choice. It's an addiction and you may be looking at another before too long. For some reason, can't have too many.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Thanks everybody. I thankfully have alot of family and friends that own and have owned for along time. I will most certainly be getting with them and learning from their experiences. A buddy of mine has a home range that I will be going to alot as well. So I think my next purchases will be a gun belt and crossbreed supertuck. Another dumb question but do you think that I could trade a couple of my magazines in at local gun shop for some ammo or accessories? I really don't need five.
Mags wear out... save the extras, its always more fun at the range to not be loading 1 or 2 mags over and over again anyway;)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and the World of gun ownership.

And being as no one has said it yet ... You guys are slacking !!!

AMMO ... Buy ammo !

And then do as has been suggested, get a bit of training both in operation of firearms, and also law.
I always suggest finding a good concealed carry class ... It will help keep you out of legal trouble.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. You need more mags and Ammo.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome from Texas. You can't ever seem to have enough ammo.

And those Pearce grips are just greatness!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts