Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought my first ever gun(s), a pair of Springfield XD9 5" Tacticals. One for me and one for my daughter. I figured it is something we can do together, as she is an adult and has her own life most of the time. She loves shooting, as do I. We have put about 300 rounds each thru our guns. We plan to take the 4 day handgun course at Front Sight in November. I bought Blade Tech Serpa holsters for both of us, but Frontsight says they are unsafe. Any thoughts? Any guidance for a complete novice gun owner? Drop me a line..

John

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A lot of handgun instructors and schools dislike Serpa holsters. The design of the holster forces the user to apply pressure with the trigger finger to disengage retention. If you look around on the internet you can find a few instances of people shooting themselves while unholstering from a Serpa holster.

That said, people have been shot unholstering/ holstering from every style of holster probably. I have played with these holsters and find that my finger indexes on the frame upon drawing just like it does from any holster. Find another style of holster if Frontsite does not allow Serpa. I would learn drawing skills from another type of holster and decide if the Serpa is for you when you have more experience.

Congested on the new guns and have fun at frontsite.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida!

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Premium Member
23,670 Posts
hello there

·
Premium Member
127,718 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum, John!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bladetech and Blackhawk Serpa are two different holsters both made of polymer/kydex. I have heard Blackhawk Serpa holsters are breaking due to weakness in design. They might be working on strengthening some of the parts but Bladetech holsters are pretty sturdy. Cant go wrong with a Bladetech holster.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Wish my dad would by me guns!! Kudos for for getting your daughter into shooting!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Northern California!

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas, and to the Springfield family! It shall serve you well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
never had any issues with serpa hulsters theres plenty of people that shoot themselves and most times its because there being careless or havent had proper training

·
Registered
8 Posts
just purchased my first xd bought a xd tactical in 9 was looking at some other guns in the same price range noticed the xd was the only one with a metal guide rod that did it for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts