Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New member here, and gun owner as well. I've been reading this forum for the past week, and just love it! I've been learning a whole lot thanks to all of you.

Anyway, I just made a purchase of my very first firearm last Friday, but won't be able to pick it up for another 2 days. I went with the XDm 9mm 3.8 compact after reading all the great reviews on it.

So being completely new at all this, and now a new owner of my first firearm... what next? As a first timer is there any must haves that I need to look into as far as gear, and accessories go? I will be getting my CWP, so keep that in mind.

I know that some states have different laws, on what you can, and can not use. I Live in Miami, Fl. if this helps any.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would look into holsters since you will be carrying soon.

I went with High Noon holsters for my compact. I haven't gotten it yet so I can't say anything about it but the Florida Conceal forum recommend their holsters.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Welcome! If you're new to it all, take it slow. When you handle your weapon, follow the rules of gun safety and keep your actions planned and slow. I've been shooting for almost 40 years and sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down.

Read the I Shot Myself Yesterday Thread. I love guns and there's no reason not to explore the workings of a new gun. Do it in a controlled environment and remain focused on the weapon. It's often said that the trigger between your ears is the most dangerous. When carrying, the gun does not leave its holster unless there is a threat or I'm putting the gun back in the safe.

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster that is made for the XD. They're not cheap and take 6 weeks to get, but I think they keep the pistol secure like no other inside the waistband holster. I think we who carry run the risk of a negligent discharge more than the risk of getting attacked. IMHO you have to also practice risk assessment/risk management so you don't go off half cocked!;)

Shoot the hell out of that XD! When I go to the range I usually go through 150 to 200 rounds. I've read posts where people go to the range and shoot 25-50 rounds. Use a correction target to help you shoot better.

You may want to take some instruction in basic pisto marksmanship. I was raised with a gun in my hand and spent time in the Army so I sometimes assume everyone is like me! If your new to guns, take some instruction.

If you can join a gun club or the local chapter of the NRA, you can associate with experienced shooters. Old timers can give you tips and help you resist the urge to become a Mall Ninja.

I forgot to touch upon practicing drawing your carry weapon and defensive shooting, but you can look up videos on that and the firearms instructors on the board will hit you up. You may want to take a class and look into competitive shooting (i.e., IDPA).

Sorry to ramble! Good luck and welcome to the world shooting.

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Will.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Hello and welcome to the fourm from Louisiana!

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
HI and welcome to the firum from Colorado

agree with what willworfforammo said ..

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
Welcome to the best gun forum on the web.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello..
For you I suggest shooting classes. Thats what I call the Human Mod. Invest in upping your skills and any modifications done to your gun will pay off big time.

For the gun:
Pearce grip extension for the base of the magazine
PRP trigger (after you take some classes for sure)
Good holster of your choice (tons of info on this site for sure!)
Sight mod if you feel like it. I went with TFOs

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
One of the things I see overlooked by many gun owners is full knowledge of disassembly and reassembly of the firearm. You should know your firearm workings front to back, be able to take it apart and reassemble it without problems. It will not only enable you to keep a very clean, well functioning firearm but it will in the long run help you be a better shooter. Welcome to the brotherhood!

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
hey, Will is here, we've been looking for you. Sorry just could not resist - in order to understand you will need to read this thread, all 4760 posts :)

anyway - another welcome to the forum from warm AZ. You have found a great site with many helpful and experienced members. I hope you enjoy as much as I have.

Several good suggestions already, I would add to the vote for take some training - internet is fine but a qualified instructor will teach you hands on. Somebody mentioned IDPA, that or USPSA are good practice and a local club will have many members who will give free advise for as long as you listen.

·
Premium Member
23,655 Posts
hello to ya

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome Will, I myself am new on here too. I have been shooting for nearly 20-25 years and the best thing I can say is take it slow. Keep yourself in check and pay attention to what you are doing. Safety, safety, safety! Even if you know its safe, check it again and always be thinking about what you are doing. As soon as you assume anything with a firearm you will be proven wrong.

Good training is very important and lots of practice, self control and disipline are required when handling your new weapon. It goes without saying, don't point it at something you don't intend to destroy...loaded or not. Know your weapon, how it works, how if feels, how it fires, where it fires, when it fires and why it fires. All these things and more will ensure you are on the road to an "uneventful" relationship with your new weapon!

Again, welcome and enjoy...don't be afraid to put lots of rounds thru that thing! Practice makes perfect! :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts