Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an XD sub compact in .40 S&W.
I have put 50 rounds down range mostly as a function test and to see how and where it hit at 25 yrds. this is my new carry gun.

Now for the questions.
1. when does the gun loosen up? the magazine release is hard to push or Im more of a weeny than I thought.
2. The manual says not to shoot reloads. Is this just a CYA from springfield? I have never seen that in any other manual.
3. What was my other question?

Thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
Now for the questions.
1. when does the gun loosen up? the magazine release is hard to push or Im more of a weeny than I thought.
2. The manual says not to shoot reloads. Is this just a CYA from springfield? I have never seen that in any other manual.
3. What was my other question?

Thanks
Your other question was "Did you make a good decision to buy an XD?" The answer is yes, without a doubt.

CYA? Kinda. There are many, many forum members who have fired thousands of reloads thru their XD's. I've processed about 5000 without issue.

Your SC will smooth out over time and a few hundred rounds. The more the better.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your other question was "Did you make a good decision to buy an XD?" The answer is yes, without a doubt.

CYA? Kinda. There are many, many forum members who have fired thousands of reloads thru their XD's. I've processed about 5000 without issue.

Your SC will smooth out over time and a few hundred rounds. The more the better.
As with all my firearms, I probably over analyzed the purchase. I fondled several compact and sub compact pistols, weighed the options of 9mm vs .40 vs .45. (already had a 9mm Ruger). read reviews and opinions. I was sure I made a good decision on the XD.

Sounds like I need to buy a big box of ammo and a set of reloading dies.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just Give the Gun about 500 rounds thourgh it and it will have smoother cycling and better trigger, mag realease will lighten up also.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The XD has standard rifling with lands and grooves and fully supports the case so shooting reloads is more of a CYA thing saying they are not responsible for over charged rounds. You obviously have not read a Glock manual as they really mean don't shoot reloads in a Glock barrel unless you like gun parts flying around. This has to do with the Glock not having the cartridge fully supported when in the chamber causing a bulge at the base of the case. If reloaded these cases run the risk of over expansion and catastrophic failure. You can use an EGW sizing die which will remove most of the bulge but you are stressing the case when you do that. Weakened cases can create the infamous Glock Kaboom. This is most common 40S&W with due to the high case pressure but I have seen the bulge in other calibers as well. One other thing is that is not recommended that you shoot lead bullets in any type of hexagon or octagon barrel. These type of barrels tends to allow lead to build up more than traditional land and grooves.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Welcome, there is a lot of new Xd owners who ask about the mag release and every time, I ask why are you taking out a full mag and there is a reason for it. But as you get more familure with the XD it does loosen up and your thumb becomes stronger. LOL It seems the more you use the XD, the better it becomes.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
As with all my firearms, I probably over analyzed the purchase. I fondled several compact and sub compact pistols, weighed the options of 9mm vs .40 vs .45. (already had a 9mm Ruger). read reviews and opinions. I was sure I made a good decision on the XD.

Sounds like I need to buy a big box of ammo and a set of reloading dies.
+1000!!! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Congrats on the 40sc purchase. It looks like you are already addicted to your XD just like the rest of us!!!!!;)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alaska. Well it took me about 500 rds before I started to notice a change.... it is getting better after every 300-400 rds. So far I have put about 5000 rds. through my XD45's. Keep shooting and practicing you will bet there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question just come up (from the cleaning thread)

run it wet or run it dry?
My AR I run dry.
My other firearms, I run wet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome, there is a lot of new Xd owners who ask about the mag release and every time, I ask why are you taking out a full mag and there is a reason for it. But as you get more familure with the XD it does loosen up and your thumb becomes stronger. LOL It seems the more you use the XD, the better it becomes.

I didn't see any part where he said it was with a full magazine...

Mine loosened up just fine, I have about 2000 down the pipe, 300 of those reloads, no problems so far. Welcome to the xD family:eek:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome from CT, my first XD was mt .40sc. Congrats on a fine choice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had some stiff mag release issues on my new XD, it gets better after about 500rds, even better after 1k. Congrats on your purchase, the XD and SA wont let you down

1 - 18 of 18 Posts