Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I am new to the board and I have a question for you all. I am down to three guns that I would like to shoot and eventually buy...at least one of them.:cool:

The three are the XD 9mm, the XD(M) 9mm, of the Glock 17.

I am very new to guns but I really like all three of these. I have been told that what I need to do is to rent each one and shoot them.

I have done my own research and held all of them...I think the the XD is probably the most comfortable, but I don't like the bottom recoil tube sticking further out than the one on the XD(M)...

Which do you think is going to be the best purchase? Thanks for the reply's in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the XD9 and replaced the stock guide rod with a Don's Guide Rod from PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL. It looks better and is better built.
did you understand that piece I was talking about? I am not sure exactly what piece it it, but it is on the barrel,or underneath the barrel where the bullet comes out. I think it is some recoil thing...but I like the shorter length of the XD a bit better...but the XDM is very nice looking as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think my XD-45 and XDM-9mm feel far superior in MY hand than the Glock. The XD grip angle just makes it easier and more accurate for me. Fondle each pistol and, with your little eyes closed, see which one fits the best.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Since you're in an XD forum, I would be giving you my biased opinion. Although I do have two XD's (9 & 40 tactical) and one G17, I prefer the XD. :)

Suggest going out to a range, compare the two, and hopefully a decision will be made.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The three are the XD 9mm, the XD(M) 9mm, of the Glock 17.

I am very new to guns but I really like all three of these. I have been told that what I need to do is to rent each one and shoot them.

I have done my own research and held all of them...I think the the XD is probably the most comfortable, but I don't like the bottom recoil tube sticking further out than the one on the XD(M)...
I have one of each. I like the standard XD 9 best because it fits my hand best and seems most comfortable. The guide rod that sticks out, though you don't like it so much, works well. But as pointed out, you can replace it easily for $20 with either a Don's or a Wolff guide rod and spring.

Either way, they are all very good pistols.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Welcome. I have both the XD 9 mm and XDM 9 mm I love both. I have shot many a glock. I will not buy a glock. My shooting buddy has 3 glocks and he loves my XD's! You can also go w/ Lasermax internal laser like I did onm y XD. I LOVE IT! Just something else to look at.
I was looking at getting a glock b4 I got the xd's. But my GS told sumthing that was interesting. SA XD's have been outselling the glocks for well OVER a year! And to me it shoots better than glocks do. Just my opinion. Well thats my .02. Hope you have fun trying out the different pistols. :grin:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of those.

Maybe look at a Smith and Wesson M&P while you are at it too =)

Just get whichever one works the best for you!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If I were a new shooter and didn't know any better, I would buy a Glock 17 and never shoot anything else. By not know any better, I mean not married to any particular grip angle or shooting style. The reason I said the Glock 17 is because it pretty much set the standard for 9mm reliability, you can get parts anywhere, and it is probably the most maintenance forgiving pistol on the planet. The only reason that I chose the XDM over the Glock is that after decades of shooting 1911s with a modified Weaver, the Glock is very alien to me and I am going to continue to shoot 1911s and CZs.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome...I fired Glosck 19 & 30 as well as Rugers and bought the XD9 with only handling it at the shop. I have never regretted the decision. As far as which is best for you it's personal and also what you intend to use it for, CCW, Target etc...Personally the extra money for the XDM fo CCW wasn't worth it for me and I like the idea of the XD9 eating just about anything you feed it because it isn't quite as tight as a target pistol might be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I were a new shooter and didn't know any better, I would buy a Glock 17 and never shoot anything else. By not know any better, I mean not married to any particular grip angle or shooting style. The reason I said the Glock 17 is because it pretty much set the standard for 9mm reliability, you can get parts anywhere, and it is probably the most maintenance forgiving pistol on the planet. The only reason that I chose the XDM over the Glock is that after decades of shooting 1911s with a modified Weaver, the Glock is very alien to me and I am going to continue to shoot 1911s and CZs.
I would say that at least two thirds of the handguns used at our range are either 1911's or Glocks and the remaining amount is everything else (and were talking 100's of people a week).

I have to agree with ranburr whole hardily. Like he said, get a Glock. Parts are cheap, extremely plentiful, and easy to drop in. And finding a person that can help to do any mods will be as easy as asking a couple people at the range.

I would go as far as say that the Glock has become the "Chevy Small Block" of the firearms world.

/tg

·
Registered
45 Posts
XD(M) has an additional manual safety(what I've read) vs. XD, aside from what's already in place for safety internal/trigger and grip? There are other things different (grip...etc.) but the safety is what I picked up on and saw discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I admire the Glock, they set the standard, but the ergonomics are a poor second to the competition. I went with an XDM-9 and think I made a good choice, at least for me. Try both and see what feels best to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got to fire the XD(M) yesterday and I liked it a lot. I will go fire the XD today and I hope to be able to tell the difference.

It is good to hear that you can change the pin out in the XD...someone said for $20...I would like to know how that is possible and what I would need to do so...

Also one more question...the XD(M) 9mm is a 4.5 inch barrel and the XD is a 4 inch...would that classify it as a compact? I know there is a sub compact, and I am not interested at this time in that...but will the accuracy between a 4.5 inch vs a 4 inch barrel be something to really consider?

Thanks again for all your replys...this board is AWESOME. I hope to make my decision very soon and will share it with all of you...

PS, I went to shoot the XD(M) and because I don't shoot much, my aim wasn't all that great. My target was at 25 yards and I got most all of them in the center mass portion...but I had a few misses at first when I was just getting used to the gun...I tend to compensate for the recoil, because I am not used to it yet...is that normal?

·
Registered
187 Posts
PS, I went to shoot the XD(M) and because I don't shoot much, my aim wasn't all that great. My target was at 25 yards and I got most all of them in the center mass portion...but I had a few misses at first when I was just getting used to the gun...I tend to compensate for the recoil, because I am not used to it yet...is that normal?
Is it normal for new shooters to try and compensate for recoil? Yes.

Is it a good thing to do? Maybe? Depends on what you mean compensate... did you mean anticipate?

Since we don't know what you where aiming or where the majority of hits were taking places, it's really hard to say. If your shots were mostly low, then you are anticipating, what you are calling compensating, the recoil and pushing the gun down as you were pulling the trigger and hitting low-- which is not what you want to do.

As a new shooter the best thing you can do is take a firearms instruction class (and not just the CCW class) with a great instructor. If possible, take this class with somebody that is nationally known.

Remember too, in all most all instances, that the CCW classes are only designed to fulfill the letter of the law to carry. What is required-- regardless of the shooters experience or training-- to obtain a CCW. With that in mind they are not intended to train you on the many fine points and technicalities of shooting a weapon that a full blown class will.

/tg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts