Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about to be a proud owner of an XD subcompact, but I cannot decide between the 9mm and the .40 S&W. They are both sc and are the same price.

What do you guys recommend?

This will be my first time owning my own pistol and I want to get my CHL soon.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As to the choice of pistol, I suggest you shoot one of each. The .40 has a pretty snappy recoil that may put off a newer shooter. IMHO, of course. Even if you can't find two XDs to test, find two similar pistols chambered in the two cartridges you're interested in. That will tell you a lot about how each round's recoil will feel. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hello from DFW

I would go with the 9, good to start with and the ammo is cheaper therefore you can shot more!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I agree you need to try each caliber before you decide.

·
Premium Member
24,506 Posts
hello

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Welcome from Austin. I've had a number of 9mm's. This is a good accurate caliber. As stated ammo is cheap, try Walmart or Academy and make the call.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all! Thanks for the welcome!

I took a few days weighing the options and I decided with the xd40 sc. I've shot both before and I felt as though my needs for home/self defense fit with the xd40 more.

Now for a new question, what type of round do you think will be best for self-defense?

I've heard a lot about the Hornady hollow points...

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Another Texan welcomes you to the Forum, and to the Springfield family. :D

As far as SD rounds, I go with what I can easily put my hands on. And that would be the Winchester PDX1 (sold at Walmart) and Remington Golden Saber bonded. A great buy from my local Cheaper than Dirt store at $26 for 50! :shock:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Welcome from pa

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
246 Posts
hello from houston. get the 9mm. i've shot both the 9mm and 40. the 40 is really snappy. difficult to double tap on target.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Welcome fellow Texan, I own one of each and although .40sw is popular I actually prefer the 9mm so far, it's a little easier on the recoil which makes follow up shots much easier.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts