Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

In the process of moving from NYC to Tucson for work. Haven't even held a firearm in 30 years. Will be living alone at first before my husband can join me so I have decided to get some training AND my first handgun. Went into this thinking I would go with a revolver, but after reading a ton and spending a couple of hours at the gun counter at Cabelas -- I'm going with an XD. :D

I'm extremely excited over this purchase -- currently debating the 9mm XDsc vs XdM compact.

Have learned a ton from the forum already!

JT

·
Registered
127 Posts
i have the xd sc and it might be the easiest gun i have to shoot accurate at self defense distant. I love it. I move from philly to dallas so just get use to the heat and you will enjoy the lack of snow.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea i am sort of in the same boat. I already have a XD 40 SC and I am looking to hand it off to my wife and get me either another 40 SC but the XDM version or get the XD 45 compact. If anyone has any advise i could really use it.

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
Welcome.

We moved here from Brooklyn last Dec. What a nice change.

You can't go wrong with either choice of pistol. If they feel the same in your hand flip a coin. or save a few bucks and go with the XD over the XD.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome from WA state!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Premium Member
128,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum, JT.

·
Premium Member
24,944 Posts
hello to ya

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix.

Either pistol will serve you well. IF (and this is a big if) you plan on carrying concealed the SC is most likely your best bet. This is entirely personal preference on your part though.

I cannot stress enough, take a class and get proper instruction before you jump in with both feet. Establish good habits now and save yourself problems later. I am sure our Tuscon members can recommend good places for instruction.

If possible go to a range that has rental guns. Try the ones you are serious about before you buy. While no one here will argue the XD choice (except maybe Cuda66), if this is to be a carry gun you *might* like even smaller framed pistols like some of the Kahr, Ruger LC series, and others. If a nightstand home defense gun, buy whatever you shoot well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
welcome to Tucson!!! very gun friendly town ..lots of dealers, ranges and shows throughout the year.

Might I suggest Marksman Pistol on 29th .. great indoor range and lots of rental guns

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What an awesome welcome - thanks guys!

Feels like home already - this is one of those life-changing moves that can make you crazy, but learning to shoot again has really cheered me up.

And I'm already hooked up with some basic training, bunch of the guys over at Arizonashooting had a good suggestion for a private course, so I will start with that. I will complete CCW just for the training, I cannot carry at work. Plan is to use this for hiking , I do a lot of photography and hell, I've never felt safe doing that alone - I'm sick and tired of having to curtail my favorite hobby when I can't find someone to go with me.

Also for home defense - haven't lived alone in over 25 years.

I'll probably go by the 29th St Marksman to try some out, I'm leaning towards the XDm 9mm compact as a good gun to start with and grow into a bit. I'm lucky, for a small woman I have big hands, gives me some flexibility with fit.

Wish I had as many options with motorcycles !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts