Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has been really wanting to get into archery and go bowhunting lately, so I went yesterday evening and got her a new Diamond Razor Edge setup. We got it dialed in and she shot it quite a bit today... was getting pretty comfortable and good with it by the time we stopped! Here's a couple of pics:

She turns 14 next month... birthday came a little early this year, but the season ends shortly after her birthday... if she wants to hunt, I had to get it sooner so she can practice, right? :)

·
Registered
19,974 Posts
Is it a strong enough bow for hunting? My fear would be to scare her off hunting for good with a bad experience early on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a strong enough bow for hunting? My fear would be to scare her off hunting for good with a bad experience early on.
Oh yes. 29" draw, adjustable from 30-60lbs (she's somewhere between 40-50lbs right now), 80% let-off, IBO 304fps at 29". After she shoots it some more we'll turn up the poundage, she can pull 50lbs no problem, she just needs to work up to being able to pull it repetitively so she doesn't get worn out when she's practicing. :)

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
It's good to see youngsters taking an interest in outdoor sports. Looks like she's getting dialed in too! I may suggest you take her to a range where she can shoot at 3D targets, it's helpful to all hunters especially new ones. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... she's bugging me to buy a 3D target already LOL! But you're absolutely right, I should do that. I'll have to do some googling and see if I can find a local place that has that! Thanks, that's a great suggestion! :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
i have that same bow in 70lbs and love it! It is incredibly accurate. I put a QAD mechanical fall away rest. Good luck to her! Hope she has fun!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Very cool indeed. Not bad grouping either for getting started.

Two minor suggestions: Depending on if this pic was "staged" or was a real shot.

You might want to check her left arm, and have her lock it out a bit more. You might also want to make sure that she's not wringing the grip of the bow with her left hand.

We can tell by her smile that she is really looking forward to using her new gift for its intendid purpose. I hope she gets a deer. Good luck. :D :cool:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It's a good little bow. Got my girlfriend one for Xmas last year. We havnt got her good enough for a deer hunt yet, but she has been making a killing on the Asian carp with it this summer.

·
Registered
19,974 Posts
I've been thinking about bow hunting this year, and threads like this don't really help. I've got way too many projects that need daylight....

I aught to at least dust it of and chrono my monster bow. I've been wanting to do that for awhile...

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Nice! I am a Fred Bear man myself but, nice bow! good to see young ppl taking up ANY kind of shooting sport! Next she will want her own deer rifle too!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pic was not staged... I was just taking them while shooting. And yes, I get on her about her left arm. She knows not to grip the bow... she's working on not wrapping her fingers around the handle at all.

I hope she gets something too. I have a .243 she can shoot if she wants to gun hunt, which I'm sure she will. :cool: She still has to hunt off of my license, so no need for both of us to have rifles just yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts