1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Cool ... When does the stupid argument begin :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Excuse my n00byness, but what is "The Chart"?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Excuse my n00byness, but what is "The Chart"?
Apparently it's a chart that pisses DPMS owners off! :)

Or, in my opinion a chart that was made b/c some lonely no friend never had sex virgin made to make himself feel good about his "high end" AR's LOL

But really, it's a chart that compares a bunch of brands and their features.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Strange how Colt is at the top of "The List". Every new Colt AR-15 I have handled has had major slop between the upper/lower receivers, including HBAR NM versions. The loose fit allows random parts to be assembled with minimal hand fitting to the detriment of accuracy. Carbine versions are roll marked "For Law Enforcement Only", which are currently leagl to buy, but could be tricky to explain to authorities in the futute. Colt has made other compromises in dehorning thier AR's to make them 50 state compatible. Some Colts have over-sized pin holes (to prevent full auto parts installation), and some have regular pin holes. Some pivot pins have screw heads, others are straight.

For the above reasons, I have been underwhelmed when examining Colt AR's and I doubt I will ever buy one, despite their being at the top of "The List". Other "deciding factors" on the list are debatable. 1:7 twist may not be the best for your chosen load. Chrome lining of the barrel may be a military requirement but is not needed by most civilians and can actually be less accurate.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Colt is at the top of the "chart" because is has the MOST milspec FEATURES.

That is what the "chart" is about......milspec features on a civilian M4 carbine.

Not start an argument here from my personal experience the fastest way to screw something up is to allow the military to alter, change or otherwise dictate the specs.

so if the chart is only saying that brand X AR has more Mil Spec features than Brand Y its not really saying that the Mil Spec Features are really more beneficial or that brand X is better than brand Y. is my thinking on this correct?

I still stick by the fact that ive never had any problems out of any of my cheaper rifles but i will concede that they do not meet the military specification.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I'll quote the first few paragraphs from the magazine article.

"When first entering into the world of the commercial AR-15, one is struck with the plethora of offerings from a dizzying number of manufacturers. There are so many AR manufacturers and marketers today that you need a players chart just to know who's who and what's what. The sheer size of the AR bisiness leads to a logical question: If these are all M4-style rifles based on the same design, what makes one cost so much more than another?

Even for the hardcore aficionados of the black rifle, it's difficult to fully understand why one brand of AR-15 costs more than another. It begs the question: What really sets one visually identical AR apart from another?

Starting in early 2007, I embarked on an investigation to find out for myself what those differences really are and whether or not you're actually paying for enhanced quality in a higher priced gun, or, as some cynics like to say, you're simply paying for a logo.

this is from the magazine article by Rob Sloyer

"The Truth About The M4"

Read the article, and/or read the thread on m4carbine.net to see what the "chart" is about.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ok, so I was wrong but does being wrong mean you can treat me rudely?
Well, you did call out the author out by saying he got tossed from the forum in question. So, it kind of gives the author a bad reputation by saying he got tossed from a forum ... I really don't think Mvician meant any harm by it.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll quote the first few paragraphs from the magazine article.

"When first entering into the world of the commercial AR-15, one is struck with the plethora of offerings from a dizzying number of manufacturers. There are so many AR manufacturers and marketers today that you need a players chart just to know who's who and what's what. The sheer size of the AR bisiness leads to a logical question: If these are all M4-style rifles based on the same design, what makes one cost so much more than another?

Even for the hardcore aficionados of the black rifle, it's difficult to fully understand why one brand of AR-15 costs more than another. It begs the question: What really sets one visually identical AR apart from another?

Starting in early 2007, I embarked on an investigation to find out for myself what those differences really are and whether or not you're actually paying for enhanced quality in a higher priced gun, or, as some cynics like to say, you're simply paying for a logo.

this is from the magazine article by Rob Sloyer

"The Truth About The M4"

Read the article, and/or read the thread on m4carbine.net to see what the "chart" is about.
They can't handle the truth Mike!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
where is the real chart now.

Evidently the author of "the chart" was tossed from m4carbine.net and took the chart with him.
Evidently you know not of what you speak. The "CHART" is where it has been.

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums

See the article

"The Truth About The M4"

in the printed magazine

Surefire Presents, Guns & Ammo
Combat Tactics

Ok, so I was wrong but does being wrong mean you can treat me rudely?

You asked a question, I answered it.
You made a statement, I told you that you were wrong.

How is that treating you rudely?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts