Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to the handgun ownership scene. My first ccw weapon was a xdsc9. I do like everything about it except that it is a little on the thick side for me. So I decided to look at my options in the expanding subcompact 9mm market. I looked at the ruger Lc9, a whole mess of kahrs, Sig p290, Walter pps and keltec pf 9. I decided to go with the pps after a quick try at the range. I have included some pics comparing the two pistols.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was in the same spot as you and I got a Kahr pm40. It's so easy to conceal comepared to the XD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Jta - Dont get me wrong the XD is a awesome gun, I have had LEO at the range try and it and they are glock guys and I almost could not get it back from one of them they liked it so much and more than likely were going to purchase one. But your right just a little on the larger side for somene as small as myself. I just did not like the feel of any of the kahrs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
@Jta - Dont get me wrong the XD is a awesome gun, I have had LEO at the range try and it and they are glock guys and I almost could not get it back from one of them they liked it so much and more than likely were going to purchase one. But your right just a little on the larger side for somene as small as myself. I just did not like the feel of any of the kahrs.
I wasn't impressed with it the first time I shot it either. I put another 50 rounds down range with it today and it's growing on me, I have about 350 or so rounds in it now. I bought it without shooting one with the idea that I would learn to like it or sell it. :neutral: It's a keeper for sure.

If I just want to go shoot at the range it will be the xd all day. The kahr is a great gun but not really a range toy. I'll shoot it enough to be proficient and make sure the gun it reliable.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am relatively new to the handgun ownership scene. My first ccw weapon was a xdsc9. I do like everything about it except that it is a little on the thick side for me. So I decided to look at my options in the expanding subcompact 9mm market. I looked at the ruger Lc9, a whole mess of kahrs, Sig p290, Walter pps and keltec pf 9. I decided to go with the pps after a quick try at the range. I have included some pics comparing the two pistols.

Congrats on the PPS purchase i hope your happy with yours. I carry mine almost everyday. I will say to stay away from Hornady;s CD ammo, only ammo that has never fed well in my PPS(also just not a good SD ammo IMHO).

Don't get me wrong I like the pps but those mag extensions on a compact carry gun kinda defeat the purpose, turns it back in to a almost full size gun.

Nice gun.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-faq-stickies/142719-how-post-pics-using-photobucket.html

I'll disagree with you here Agalindo, i think having the 3 size mag options just add the PPS as a carry weapon. I can adjust my grip length to fit my conceal carry needs, i normally use the 7 rnd mag with a 8 rnd as a spare. I would enjoy a 45 acp version of PPS :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Nice, very nice. They sure are not the pretties gun in the room, but they sure do shoot nice and is a great CC weapon. Congrats

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@stuz92 what do you use for jhp? At the range with my xd I pretty much put whatever I wanted thru it and even mixed brands never had an issue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Carrying anything on my side is uncomfortable...I pocket carry.

I guess you just get used to it though. Just seems that everytime I have tried, it is obvious and either my pants or my shirt or both get goofed up.

PPS is a highly recommended gun though. Is it easy to breakdown?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carrying anything on my side is uncomfortable...I pocket carry.

I guess you just get used to it though. Just seems that everytime I have tried, it is obvious and either my pants or my shirt or both get goofed up.

PPS is a highly recommended gun though. Is it easy to breakdown?
It's a little different than an xd. I would try a Google or YouTube search for it

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
@stuz92 what do you use for jhp? At the range with my xd I pretty much put whatever I wanted thru it and even mixed brands never had an issue.

I have 124gr Gold Dots my PPS at present. I have had Hornady Tap 147gr(XTP bullet) in it and Federal Hydro Shok 124gr and 135gr have also performed well in my PPS. I think the newer Federal HSt would do well too. My PPS has only had problems with one ammo, The Hornady Critical Defense i mentioned before, the little rubber nub would hang up on the ramp, plus it is a weak round anyway so i wouldn't even waste your money on it, just my opinion.
I have also tested the Fiocchi Extrema JHP(Hornady's XtP bullet) in 124gr my PPS. The Fiocchi is cheaper than the Hornady, comes in a 50 round box for about the same price as the Hornady in a 25 rnd box.

I think you'll have good luck with whatever ammo you want to try. Have fun with the testing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 124gr Gold Dots my PPS at present. I have had Hornady Tap 147gr(XTP bullet) in it and Federal Hydro Shok 124gr and 135gr have also performed well in my PPS. I think the newer Federal HSt would do well too. My PPS has only had problems with one ammo, The Hornady Critical Defense i mentioned before, the little rubber nub would hang up on the ramp, plus it is a weak round anyway so i wouldn't even waste your money on it, just my opinion.
I have also tested the Fiocchi Extrema JHP(Hornady's XtP bullet) in 124gr my PPS. The Fiocchi is cheaper than the Hornady, comes in a 50 round box for about the same price as the Hornady in a 25 rnd box.

I think you'll have good luck with whatever ammo you want to try. Have fun with the testing!
I currently have the fiochi's in my xdsc. I thru some is a magazine in the pps and chambered on and it was not the smoothest motion. I am hoping it was because the gun is so new.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You shouldn't carry any round that you haven't tested at least a couple of mags through and they have functioned with no issues. I would go with at least 4 mags worth before carrying it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You shouldn't carry any round that you haven't tested at least a couple of mags through and they have functioned with no issues. I would go with at least 4 mags worth before carrying it.
I agree with that. I actually won't carry my pps until I have had some quality range time and I am familiar with the it.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts