Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to my Hoffmans Guns tomorrow for a new carry gun. I am leaning towards the Beretta px4 9 mm sub compact. Any one have this gun? How do you like it/ Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Get what feels and shoots comfortable in your hands !!! Test every carry option Hoffmans has to offer. They still offer the 10 shots for 10 bucks on guns that are in the case by the indoor shooting range :twisted: Test them all out !!!! Then check the prices and drive like 10 minutes down the road to Newington Gun Exchange and compare prices, ask the cash out the door price :cool: Newington does this don't try at Hoffmans they will look at you funny :evil::evil:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ive handled and shot the px4. Good shooter, comfortable in the hand, but the safeties location was a big issue for me. Hurts the hand to rack the slide at times.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I looked at it before I got my XDM, really liked the feel of it but something about the trigger pull for me didn't feel right but to each his own. My father in law just picked up a .40 px4 compact and so far he loves it. He also has the cx4 carbine which accepts some of the px4's magazines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have called Newington Gun a few time to compare prices and Hoffmans has always been less expensive. The guys at Hoffmans treated me very well, even with the stupid questions I had being a first time gun buyer and they didnt even charge me to try out the XDM and other guns the day I bought my XDM .40 While I will go to Newington Gun tomorrow to see the place It would be hard not to feel good about giving my money to Hoffmans. I really appriciate the advise though. Great site and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The saftey position was the only thing about the px4 I didnt like. It gives the gun a weird look and they stick out a bit more than I would like, but the gun fits my hand and feels good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Had one....sold it. Too much of a lardass for me to comfortably CCW. Plus, the safety is wrong: UP should be "on safe" and DOWN should be "ready to fire." ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise. I was going to get the px4 but the range was shut down. I couldnt try it. I figured if I was going to buy that wide of a gun for cc I just got another XDM. This one a compact and it carries great! Had to get what I knew with the range being shut.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
The safety location is what I didn't care for when shooting the PX4 Storm for me. Kinna of distracting and real wide on the rear of the slide. I guess once ya get use to it, no big deal. Was a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I did not like it. Havevan old school Vertec and an XD45C, HK USP compact. Like all of them MUCH better than a plastic Beretta.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
For me, it's a littke too "chunky", and I don't klike the long DA trigger. I'm just not a big Beretta fan. But, to each his own. Carry what works for YOU.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Maybe take a look @ a CZ-75 compact or Shadow model. Same basic design as old school Beretta, but twice as cool/accurate/reliable. Fits like a glove, and very reasonably priced. Will last several lifetimes, your grandkids could end up carrying it for protection 50 yrs from now ;)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I love my Px4. Full size .40. I have large hands (I use the largest backstrap). I do wish it could be carried cocked and locked, oh well, I shoot it great and if fits perfect. If you don't like the long da pull, the hammer can be halfcocked, reducing the pull length between the da and sa. The safety position, feel etc is fine to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts