Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Sun Devil custom build today!! The gun was built up by Darrel @ D9firearms and I love it. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but hopefully soon (lots of travel for work)

here are some pics.

Some specs for the build
Sun Devil upper and lower
YHM 16" Diamond Fluted barrel
Magpul CTR stock
LMT FA carrier with enhanced bolt
ERGO grip
YHM full length (rifle) lightweight quadrail free float handguard
RRA 2 stage trigger
ARMS #40L rear sight
YHM flip up front sight

nateroach

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Very nice.

I noticed the "Gator Grip" style checkered grip in front of the mag well, and was wondering about your opinion of this feature.

Also, this just got me wondering if you knew if Mega and Sun Devil lowers were made by the same company?

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Perfect.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Looks amazing! Keep us informed on how well it shoots.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice.

I noticed the "Gator Grip" style checkered grip in front of the mag well, and was wondering about your opinion of this feature.

Also, this just got me wondering if you knew if Mega and Sun Devil lowers were made by the same company?
So far I like the textured grip on the front of the magwell, but I haven't had a choice to shoot it yet. As far as the Sun Devil and Mega being manufactured by the same company I'm pretty sure that isn't true. The Sun Devil receivers are billet where Mega's are forged.

nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like that diamond fluted barrel. I don't know too much about YHMs barrels, though.
I really like the look of the diamond fluted barrel too. When I was in my research stage of the build it was difficult to find much info on the YHM barrels. There were some comments on ar15.com that said that the YHM barrels were Wilson blanks (same company as RRA) and they were high quality.

nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the upper.. is that 'octagonal' or something special???
yes the upper is hexagonal in shape. No this is not a special option, this is the standard Sun Devil upper with shell deflector and forward assist. They have designed and manufactured their uppers with additional material in critical places to strengthen the upper and aid in accuracy.

nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet rifle :cool: I've never heard of Sun Devil though. How much if you mind me asking??

They are not too bad, especially for a billet set. for the upper and lower ( with parts installed) was about $370 from d9firearms.

nateroach

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I really like the way this build looks. The octagon upper almost gives it an Old West feel (for an EBR anyway). The only way it could look better is if you could find an octagon barrel to go with it :D

One thing though, is the print on the Ergo photochopped or is did you find some place to actually do that on your grip?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the way this build looks. The octagon upper almost gives it an Old West feel (for an EBR anyway). The only way it could look better is if you could find an octagon barrel to go with it :D

One thing though, is the print on the Ergo photochopped or is did you find some place to actually do that on your grip?

It's photo shopped on there, don't know how you might actually get it in the grip other than paint I suppose.

nateroach

1 - 16 of 16 Posts