Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new bug.

complete with cargo/wallet holster from Stoner.
Also an Uncle Mikes ankle rig.

I looked at several including the Ruger LPC, Kahr p9, Bersa, Walther pps, just to name a few.

I bought it for my off hand.
So here is my new Beretta - Tomcat. Breach loadable or magazine fed 6+1.
It just felt good, started shooting a bit low @ 20 feet until I adjusted. Held a nice group @ 5' as well as 10'.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Have you shot it yet?
A friend had one for his wife. He complained about the slide riding his hand when he shot it. Just something to watch out for.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a one hand deal
if you ride it too high it might bite

It shoots great with my off hand.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Excellent weapon, excellent choice.

Keep it lubed. SS on SS requires good
care for good function.

Ed

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thats an interesting little BUG you have there. I checked one out today at the range and it seems like a solid little piece.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've had my Tomcat for about ten years. Got mine before the INOX version came out. I like the tilt up barrel. It's a good size for a bug, too.Unfortunately, mine is not reliable.

It does not like hollow points at all. I can rarely get through one 7 round magazine of hollow points without it jamming. I have much better luck with regular fmj rounds. Polishing the feed ramp, and keeping it very lightly oiled is a big help too, but I average one failure to feed in every 50 rounds fired. Even with fmj ammo.

Another thing to watch for is frame cracks. The INOX doesn't seem to be as prone to them, as the regular black models, but I've run into people around the internet who had frame cracks with the INOX, too. I think it's due to +P ammunition. Beretta was replacing any Tomcat that developed a frame crack with brand new INOX Tomcats. Don't know if they are still doing that.

I do carry my Tomcat, but not often, because I don't trust it. I'd strongly recommend that if you do carry it, that you load regular FMJ ammunition, and don't fire +P ammo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats on the new bug. I bought one 3 years ago that eventually became my wifes edc. A good gun, ours never burped in the 300rds that we fed it. I just wasn't a fan of the caliber, so I steered her towards a 9mm.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
My wife has had one since 2005. It's the inox version & I replaced the grips with rosewood. I carried it occasionally for a couple years (when I couldn't carry something bigger); now she carries it every day. It has always functioned perfectly for us. I think she carries it with hydrashoks.

Like the others have said, watch out for cracking. It's not a target pistol, so don't expect to shoot 500 rds a month through it.

·
Premium Member
127,264 Posts
Congratulations! Carry safely.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like the others have said, watch out for cracking. It's not a target pistol, so don't expect to shoot 500 rds a month through it.
thanks for the tips guys

I have no worries, though will keep an eye on the frame.
I doubt this will see much range time other than the rounds already fired for reliability.

It is only meant for my back up gun, that accompanies a .40, or .45 cal.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
thanks for the tips guys

I have no worries, though will keep an eye on the frame.
I doubt this will see much range time other than the rounds already fired for reliability.

It is only meant for my back up gun, that accompanies a .40, or .45 cal.
I think as far as the cracking you will fine if you are just shooting enough to ensure reliability.

Even the the OP of the thread I posted isn't having reliability issues after the crack, and the crack doesn't seem to be progressing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts