1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,154 Posts
Congratulations! I like mine.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't have one, but I have literally never heard of a complaint. The guy who owns the local gun shop still carries one once in awhile. He said it was the first handgun he ever owned, had it for like 20 years or so.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I HAD one about 4 years ago. My experience was terrible. The gun was accurate, easily, concealable, comfortable, but just not well engineered for durability.

I had the finish come off the slide in tiny particles that looked like small "glitter". Then at the range while shooting it, the gun came apart in my hand when the spring steel ring that dangles on the left (?) backed out.

I find the Bersa .45 compact to be a much better gun, as long as it isn't shot too much.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Isn't the Bersa designed after the handgun that killed President Abraham Lincoln? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Hahahaha

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have one and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Took it to the range last weekend and my wife put about 60 rounds through it. We usually do only about 20 but we had four guns with us and a backpack full of ammo. All of a sudden when she inserted the magazine, the slide went forward on its own. When inserting the mag with the slide forward and then jacking in a round, a round ejected. A round that should not have been there. I cleaned and inspected it and found no problems but the problem remained. It could be the magazine and I will see if the problem persists with a different magazine. I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it which is nice. Hopefully I get it working right cause I love the little critter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Isn't the Bersa designed after the handgun that killed President Abraham Lincoln? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Hahahaha
It was designed after a gun owned by a guy named Bond, James Bond.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My wife and I both have Thunder 380's and they're great little guns. Ours have been reliable and extremely accurate. It's a great carry piece. Lots of fun to shoot, too. The drop hammer safety is the cat's pajamas. You can safely carry one in the chamber with the safety off. Your first pull is double action, the rest are single action.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Up until a month ago I would have stated it was an inexpensive gun that was a great bargain.

A friend was shooting mine and it and failed to fire. I then spotted that the lever of the safety/decocker had broken off. It looked to me that the safety was in the fire position and I don't know why it wouldn't fire. It took about a month to get a replacement lever (I bought two, they're MIM, it may break again). It was easy to replace but I haven't been to the range to test it out. Firing pin will drive a wooden dowel out of the barrel so I expect it to work, but really don't know why it wouldn't fire.

Now if the handle had snapped off while in the safe position, that would be a very bad thing and has given me second thoughts as to trusting this gun in a SHTF scenario.

It's accurate, trigger is acceptable in DA, good in SA. But there is a stinging portion to the recoil that will get your attention. Too bad 380 is so expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have one and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Took it to the range last weekend and my wife put about 60 rounds through it. We usually do only about 20 but we had four guns with us and a backpack full of ammo. All of a sudden when she inserted the magazine, the slide went forward on its own. When inserting the mag with the slide forward and then jacking in a round, a round ejected. A round that should not have been there. I cleaned and inspected it and found no problems but the problem remained. It could be the magazine and I will see if the problem persists with a different magazine. I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it which is nice. Hopefully I get it working right cause I love the little critter.
FYI that may not be how the gun was designed or intended to operate but it is a function and common on the BT380. Several guns that I have personally handled will do this exact thing IF the mag is bumped at an angle upon insertion... For example HKP30 9mm, S&W M&P 9mm and .45, SIG P226 9mm, 92F 9mm, there may be more but these are what I have done it with. What causes this is when the gun is jarred it overcomes the slide stop tension and drops the release since it is no longer being forced to the up position on a loaded mag. It is certainly something that is un nerving when it happens and if it is an intended function, it should be in the manual so the shooter is made aware it. I certainly enjoy my BT380 as it is a fun gun to shoot and accurate as well. By the way good catch and awareness of this happening, you were obviously paying attention.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the info CCT. I was about ready to write it off. I will take it to the range and put a few rounds through expecting it to happen.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
FYI that may not be how the gun was designed or intended to operate but it is a function and common on the BT380. Several guns that I have personally handled will do this exact thing IF the mag is bumped at an angle upon insertion... For example HKP30 9mm, S&W M&P 9mm and .45, SIG P226 9mm, 92F 9mm, there may be more but these are what I have done it with. What causes this is when the gun is jarred it overcomes the slide stop tension and drops the release since it is no longer being forced to the up position on a loaded mag. It is certainly something that is un nerving when it happens and if it is an intended function, it should be in the manual so the shooter is made aware it. I certainly enjoy my BT380 as it is a fun gun to shoot and accurate as well. By the way good catch and awareness of this happening, you were obviously paying attention.
I had a Glock and a Kel-Crap P3AT do the same thing. Anew mag fixed the Glock. Kel-Tec was junk anyways for MANY other reasons, so i threw it away. Slamming the mag too hard into the well can cause this on small handguns, just one of the tradeoffs

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried a different magazine and the first time the slide stayed back like it is supposed too. I dropped the mag and re-inserted it. Slide went forward. At least it did not go BANG.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
bought my wife a BT380 for Christmas last year. have had zero problems with it. it's the only gun she shoots on a regular basis

·
Registered
297 Posts
Love my BERSAs. had issues with my NIB Concealed Carry. The trigger spring broke twice. each time I sent it in for warranty work, no questions asked and returned to me within a week. had to pay for shipping it in, but after the last time, it has run like a top.
The sweetest shooter is my BERSA Thunder Pro 9mm. man that one is a blast.

I am convinced that for the money BERSA is absolutely the best value out there and the lifetime warranty is the real deal.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
My wife has one and loves it. It is very accurate. The only problem we had is "after market" mags (ProMag). When she would insert one of them with the slide open, the slide would close every time as soon as the mag was seated. The Bersa mags don't close the slide until it is released by the shooter. I don't like when the slide closes without wanting it to. That is the only problem we have encountered. Easy to clean and shoot!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
ProMags just suck period. Never seen any model ProMag actually work reliably.

Hb2, if you have to pay shipping again to fix issues, it can't be that great of deal for the money. Another pistol could be bought that cost $50 more and never have to ship it back to the factory. If I got a great deal on a BMW, but it was alwya in the shop costing me money, I didn't get that great of a deal?
Not trying to flame, my post on page 1 shows Im a fan,,,just food for thought for others.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
WOW!!!! I think I will pass on one.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I have one. Took about 300 rounds to break in, but now it runs like a champ. When I first got it, I was getting FTF's and FTE's, but I just kept shooting it, and it hasn't had any problems.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ProMags just suck period. Never seen any model ProMag actually work reliably.

Hb2, if you have to pay shipping again to fix issues, it can't be that great of deal for the money. Another pistol could be bought that cost $50 more and never have to ship it back to the factory. If I got a great deal on a BMW, but it was alwya in the shop costing me money, I didn't get that great of a deal?
Not trying to flame, my post on page 1 shows Im a fan,,,just food for thought for others.
Two out of three never have had a problem. There is no manufacturer who ships 100% perfection. Everybody who manufactures firearms has folks out there who have had things break or not function properly. Not even the most worshiped Glock has a 100% rating.

The CC hasn't failed in 400 rounds (or since it's return). The shipping out is sort of a bitch, but the hassle free and lightening fast repair are unique in the industry from all I have read.

Everybody has different tolerances, I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts