Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this thing a couple of weeks now. And have been waiting on some custom grips and screws for it. The new grips finally arrived yesterday all the way from Turkey, via DHL and the Post Office. It was a bit of a job getting them on. I had to hand fit all 3 areas around the mag release, safety, and the slide release. As well as slightly enlarge the holes for the grip bushings.

Both grip panels were CNC machined to fit around these areas, but they were both cut a bit on the small side. While it made installing them more of a job, I was glad they left a bit of fitting stock. The flip side would have been to have cut them oversize, then have a sloppy fit. I used riffler files, took my time, and finally achieved a perfect fit on both sides.

So while it was a PITA, and took a couple of hours of fitting and checking, I ended up with a nice perfect fit on both panels. The Stainless Steel, gold TIN coated, Torx Head grip screws were something else I added. They turned out to be a perfect length, and the ends didn't protrude into the mag well. They fit the counterbores in the grips perfectly. They accent the gold Beretta crest and lettering nicely.

So overall I'm happy with them. They look a lot nicer than the cheap, stock black plastic panels. Hopefully after the holiday is over with next week, I'll get this thing out to the range, and see how well it runs. I'm going to take a bunch of different 9 MM ammo with. This will be the first time I'll use the local indoor range here. (It's too hot this time of year to shoot outside for any length of time).

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those look so nice, not even a comparison to stock plastic ones.
Thanks, and I couldn't agree more. What I don't understand is why Beretta not only puts those on such an expensive pistol, but they include 2 sets of them? I would rather see them ship the gun with the nice wood and gold accented grips, then include a set of cheap plastic grips for people who want to put the gun into hard use.

I think we're seeing so much plastic on guns today, the manufacturers themselves have lost touch with how really nice their guns look with nice wooden grips. And they're not that expensive. It's all about profit, Even Weatherby, who built their company on beautiful Walnut stocked rifles, now doesn't offer them until you get way into their catalog. And there are only a few models.

Beretta isn't alone either. A lot of 1911 manufacturers today are going to more and more plastic grips.

· Banned
15 Posts
I think we're seeing so much plastic on guns today, the manufacturers themselves have lost touch with how really nice their guns look with nice wooden grips. And they're not that expensive. It's all about profit, Even Weatherby, who built their company on beautiful Walnut stocked rifles, now doesn't offer them until you get way into their catalog. And there are only a few models.
As they move to higher and higher production, they all turn to plastic. It's much easier to cast plastic parts on basically 1 machine compared to proccessing wood through a dozen. It's probably fine when you're small manufacturer and you really care to stand out from the mass, but once you need to feed the demand - plastic is just cheaper-faster.

It's a shame tho, I agree. Nothing going to beat a fine wooden stock, or, in our case, a nice pair of grips.

· Registered
69 Posts
As they move to higher and higher production, they all turn to plastic. It's much easier to cast plastic parts on basically 1 machine compared to proccessing wood through a dozen. It's probably fine when you're small manufacturer and you really care to stand out from the mass, but once you need to feed the demand - plastic is just cheaper-faster.

It's a shame tho, I agree. Nothing going to beat a fine wooden stock, or, in our case, a nice pair of grips.
Put custom wood stocks on my redhawk years back when they only put those giant hogue grips on. I have small hands and the custom roper stocks let my thumb and middle finger overlap. Yea it stings a little more with full house 44 mag loads but control is much better. Also it looks way better. I see nowadays ruger finally offers wood grips on their RedHawks again.
Brown Shoe Wood Textile Grey
Brown Shoe Wood Textile Grey

· Registered
2 Posts
I've had this thing a couple of weeks now. And have been waiting on some custom grips and screws for it. The new grips finally arrived yesterday all the way from Turkey, via DHL and the Post Office. It was a bit of a job getting them on. I had to hand fit all 3 areas around the mag release, safety, and the slide release. As well as slightly enlarge the holes for the grip bushings. Both grip panels were CNC machined to fit around these areas, but they were both cut a bit on the small side. While it made installing them more of a job, I was glad they left a bit of fitting stock. The flip side would have been to have cut them oversize, then have a sloppy fit. I used riffler files, took my time, and finally achieved a perfect fit on both sides. So while it was a PITA, and took a couple of hours of fitting and checking, I ended up with a nice perfect fit on both panels. The Stainless Steel, gold TIN coated, Torx Head grip screws were something else I added. They turned out to be a perfect length, and the ends didn't protrude into the mag well. They fit the counterbores in the grips perfectly. They accent the gold Beretta crest and lettering nicely. So overall I'm happy with them. They look a lot nicer than the cheap, stock black plastic panels. Hopefully after the holiday is over with next week, I'll get this thing out to the range, and see how well it runs. I'm going to take a bunch of different 9 MM ammo with. This will be the first time I'll use the local indoor range here. (It's too hot this time of year to shoot outside for any length of time).
Beautiful-where did you find the screws ? I bought the gun now I want the grips..

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful-where did you find the screws ? I bought the gun now I want the grips..
Grips can be purchased here. They come in both gold or silver accents:

These are the screws. (Also available in gold or silver).

· Registered
133 Posts
The OP's pistol looks GREAT!

I think we're seeing so much plastic on guns today, the manufacturers themselves have lost touch with how really nice their guns look with nice wooden grips.

.....Beretta isn't alone either. A lot of 1911 manufacturers today are going to more and more plastic grips.
And some of those grips look GREAT....and last longer, wear better, and handle weather and water better.

My 1911...factory wood, or Pachmayr. I can tell you, the Pachmayr grips make doubles a LOT faster.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, and I couldn't agree more. What I don't understand is why Beretta not only puts those on such an expensive pistol, but they include 2 sets of them? I would rather see them ship the gun with the nice wood and gold accented grips, then include a set of cheap plastic grips for people who want to put the gun into hard use.

Beretta isn't alone either. A lot of 1911 i today are going to more and more plastic grips.
To: billt460

Greetings from BillT75, I'm new to the forum and I also own a Beretta 92X Performance to which I'd like to add the grips and screws you did to yours. How do the wood grips compare in thickness to the stock plastic grips that come on the gun?

Also, is there any way to get in touch with Tactical Makgrips, i.e. do they have a point of contact in the United States?

Any help is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts