Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Stag Model 1 in last night and I have a few questions that were not covered in the manual and I could not find searching.

First off, is it ok to dry fire with out using any type of snap cap or should I go pick some up?

Second, when exactly does the dust cover close? Does it just happen once the rifle is actually loaded or do I have to do something?

Also, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and opinions I have received, it definitely helped me make an informative purchase.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I just got my Stag Model 1 in last night and I have a few questions that were not covered in the manual and I could not find searching.

First off, is it ok to dry fire with out using any type of snap cap or should I go pick some up?

Second, when exactly does the dust cover close? Does it just happen once the rifle is actually loaded or do I have to do something?

Also, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and opinions I have received, it definitely helped me make an informative purchase.
As long as the rifle is not broken down at all (even one pin out) you should be OK on dry firing, but I like to use snap caps because I dry fire for practice often.

The dust cover will close when you close it. It will open when you rack it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The AR uses a free floating pin no snap caps required as there is nothing in front of it to chip or break on and the shoulder of the pin will always strike the back side of the bolt carrier which stops the hammer from hitting anything else

A dust cover is just that it keeps the dust and sand out of the BCG when not in use you have to manually close it once you charge the weapon or the bolt is cycled it will automatically spring open to allow the spent casings to eject

Keep it clean and lubed and it will serve you well a good set of dental tools is cheap on ok e and makes cleaning those hard to reach places easier

Good luck enjoy and welcome to BRD

TJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick replies..I will get some snap caps tomorrow just to cover my bases and because I am a paranoid mofo and dont want to take the chance of f'n anything up.

On the dust cover..how exactly do you close it then? I can push it closed but it has a spring that opens it back up once i take my finger off of it, I dont see any sort of latch. I guess I just need a little clarification. sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh..never mind about that dust cover. I just discovered I was being a pansy with it and found out with a little pressure it clicks shut.

I do have another question. Is there a difference between snap caps and dummy ammo? I have no experience with either

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Keep in mind that a new firearm is techincally not ready for a day at that range. Before you dry fire / cycle the bolt / etc... too much, I would suggest that you break it down / clean it / LUBE it. Then go have fun.

UB

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It depend a snap cap will usually have a spring loaded fake primer that will absorb the shock when the firing pin hits it

A dummy round could be a snap cap or it could be for reloading I have several dummy round that have primer or powder in them and I use them to set my press up for reloading

There's really not much you can F up worse case you beak you firing pin it a $4 fix

Once you field strip it you will see what I mean

I dry fire daily and never use snap caps and it hasn't hurt anything. If it were me I'd spend the extra $20 on ammo
Dry firing is ok but nothing beats making it go boom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
push it hard, it should click.
got it just before you could reply...your gettin slow :D

It depend a snap cap will usually have a spring loaded fake primer that will absorb the shock when the firing pin hits it

A dummy round could be a snap cap or it could be for reloading I have several dummy round that have primer or powder in them and I use them to set my press up for reloading

"There's really not much you can F up worse case you beak you firing pin it a $4 fix

Once you field strip it you will see what I mean

I dry fire daily and never use snap caps and it hasn't hurt anything. If it were me I'd spend the extra $20 on ammo
Dry firing is ok but nothing beats making it go boom "
Thanks for that info TJ and bringing up how it works with the free floating pin. You just contributed to my AR knowledge.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind that a new firearm is techincally not ready for a day at that range. Before you dry fire / cycle the bolt / etc... too much, I would suggest that you break it down / clean it / LUBE it. Then go have fun.

UB
Thanks for bringing this up as I was curious. I havent done any dry firing or cycled the bolt but once because I have been waiting to find out so thanks for reading my mind and answering my question.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up as I was curious. I havent done any dry firing or cycled the bolt but once because I have been waiting to find out so thanks for reading my mind and answering my question.

heres a little more reading of your mind because you will eventually ask (everyone does)

extra parts to get would include a field repair kit buy or make your own basically all the parts that you would need to make a field repair.

my kit contains every possible spring that i can replace, extra disconnectors , fireing pins, extra hammers, detents, sight tool. clearing rod flashlight (a cheap $3 led from autozone" a set of punches a brass hammer, a stock wrench, barrel wrench, screw driver, allen wrenchs and a few other odds and ends. and in normally keep half a dozen or so of everything and it goes to the range with me every time i go.

i started keeping this kit the last time i worked on my rifle and and lost a spring and had to go hunt one down now ive got plenty and will probably add more to them. I don't have more than two hammers as they are expensive parts. everything else is cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Hey RockChalk good choice, love my Stag. Listen to what everybody is telling you. The other nice thing about breaking it down and cleaning and lubing it is that you will become familiar with all the internals.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that info TJ. That is actually a good idea to keep those items on hand, when I go to get some cleaning supplies I am going to check into getting a few spare parts to keep on hand as well. So good lookin out

Hey RockChalk good choice, love my Stag. Listen to what everybody is telling you. The other nice thing about breaking it down and cleaning and lubing it is that you will become familiar with all the internals.
I am definitely happy with the choice. The finish looks great and there in no play between the upper and lower. Overall looks great and if it shoots just as well I will be happy for many years.

The manual has pretty good instructions on takedown and cleaning I was just wondering if anyone had any videos they personally like to use? I have seen some on youtube I just thought if anyone had a couple they prefer help me sort out the junk.

Thanks again for all the tips/advice

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I just built a Stag 2H last night and it has a great fit and finish. I'm hoping to get out on Monday and put some rounds thru it. Stag is a great choice! Enjoy! :p

Post up some pix of your new shooter.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I just discovered I was being a pansy with it
Doesn't that just go along with being a paranoid mofo who's afraid to dry fire? :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
I'm left handed. Wish I could $afford$ a LH Stag. Hummm....with Christmas comming up...maybe I could buy MYSELF another present? My right mind boggles. He he he.

Don't worry about dry firing your new Stag Lefty. You can NOT hurt it by doing sooss. And...if you really want to show your new toy who is boss, you can do the following.

Be ABSOLUTLEY sure there is no ammo around, then hand function your new Stag 100 times. Dry fire it each time; releasing the trigger to reset the disconnector.

Rack the charging handle with your right hand, let go, and repeat quickly....BUT WITH NO AMMO PLEASE! Hard on the walls. Lube everything real HEAVY first.

You will smell an odor kinda like hot metal. What you are doing is lapping in all the parts just like you would do shooting live ammo, but are not. You are hand cycling the rifle.

You are NOT HURTING your new rifle by doing this. All you are doing is making sure everything is working like it is supposed to do without subjecting the rifle to live ammo.

After you are finished, compare the smoothness of the action before and after. You will feel a distinct IMPROVEMENT. Again, this will do NO HARM! Enjoy. HB of CJ :) :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts