Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any thoughts on this? I find it pretty far fetched myself!

I got this information from here- https://www.facebook.com/NorskUSA/posts/461610897305831. It's a 7.62 NATO (.308 ) traveling about 1100 feet per second (subsonic). A 200gr bullet striking a target at 600yds will have less than 400ft/lbs of energy. So, unless this is some kind of MAGIC bullet that defies the laws of physics, I say BS! Ain't no way it will go through 8mm of armor plate (almost 3/8 of an inch)!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah I would call bs. Metal penetration is about high vel, not just mass. Especially armor plate. I shot a lot a met sil back in the day. Nobody was putting holes in the 500m ram, not even dents.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I would call bs. Metal penetration is about high vel, not just mass. Especially armor plate. I shot a lot a met sil back in the day. Nobody was putting holes in the 500m ram, not even dents.
Even if they are using a heavy metal or tungsten penetrator, you still have to have the velocity to let it do its work. < 400ft/lbs isn't going to do anything. It just bothers me when people post stuff like this on FB. It's an "open forum" and people who don't know anything will take this info as gospel. The next thing you know, the left is trying to ban .308 everything because it can blow thorough a tank at sub sonic velocities!:roll:

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Not sure I buy it. that's over 1/4". Maybe super crappy steel, but still, don't think so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts