Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is similar to another recent thread but I didn't want to whore up someone else's topic.

Just picked up my 9mm 3.8 compact in black last week. Two friends have the standard length 9mm M pistols, one with a PRP trigger and one with stock. I enjoyed the trigger'ed pistol so much that I ordered a PRP kit and had it installed before I even took delivery. Also made sure to order the XDm with the night sights. Since CCW isn't looking half bad for Illinois I figured it was time to grab something concealable.

Took gun out for the first time and fired my first shot...low and right and blew my target holder up. Went to squeeze a second time...and nothing. Trigger job fail. Dropped mag and unloaded and went to put the pistol back in the case...and the rear sight fell off/out. *sigh*

Took the gun back to my gunsmith and had the trigger job tweaked and he pressed in a new sight (old sight was faulty). Back to the range...and the gun failed to return to battery twice. *sigh* Darn break-in period. I'm also still having trouble with the PRP trigger.

I blew the center out of my targets for the day, though. Going to let her break in some more and then clean her really well. Haven't thought of a name for her yet. Now...to start saving for an XD in .45 to compliment my Springfield Loaded 1911.

Anyway...a lot of good stuff on this site and I look forward to reading!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Guess I won't be getting a "trigger job". And I also have a new 3.8 9mm "compact". Hope it gets corrected fast. You have a great gun.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Im not touching the trigger on my XDM compact........I dont want to risk anything and im very familiar with exactly where the trigger pull is going to break at this point, after putting 1000 flawless rounds through it.........congrats on the new toy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too have a 3.8 compact XDm-9 its my 3rd gun purchase, with 1,800 flawless rounds fed through thus far, I bought the PRP ultimate match trigger kit and said SCREW the gunsmith, although I'm admittedly a rookie and have been only shooting since December, I was able to do the fitting and installation myself( saved myself quite a chunk of cash from having the gunsmith do it, plus I just I'm to obsessive with my guns to trust the work to anyone else) it's actually alot easier than I thought it would be, I grew up building model kits and such, this was actually alot simpler than most of them were haha. I love the new trigger on it, its absolutely awesome, I compared it to the Ghost inc. trigger job on my fathers glock and PRP was much better:-D I think maybe your gunsmith just didn't install it correctly, and probably tried to rush the fitting. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully you can get the kinks worked out sooner rather than later, the compact is a really great gun, and has quickly become my every day carry :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured I'd share an update. I've been practicing with the gun by "killing my television" as recommended by one of my friends. Unloaded, no mag, just practicing aiming and learning the gun...and it would appear that my grip safety is not functioning. I can pull the trigger with minimal resistance and can feel the trigger "click" past the grip safety if that make any sense. I don't recall reading on PRP's site that the kit renders the grip safety non-functioning and my friend has confirmed that his still works properly.

My gunsmith has installed dozens of these kits (including the one in my friend's gun) so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm thinking I have a lemon XDm...which is how my luck usually goes. Lol. Anyone else with similar problems?

Guess it's back to the shop again!

Edit: To clarify I put no pressure on the grip safety. I just kind of put my finger near it and can feel it try to stop the trigger but fail. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Figured I'd share an update. I've been practicing with the gun by "killing my television" as recommended by one of my friends. Unloaded, no mag, just practicing aiming and learning the gun...and it would appear that my grip safety is not functioning. I can pull the trigger with minimal resistance and can feel the trigger "click" past the grip safety if that make any sense. I don't recall reading on PRP's site that the kit renders the grip safety non-functioning and my friend has confirmed that his still works properly.

My gunsmith has installed dozens of these kits (including the one in my friend's gun) so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm thinking I have a lemon XDm...which is how my luck usually goes. Lol. Anyone else with similar problems?

Guess it's back to the shop again!

Edit: To clarify I put no pressure on the grip safety. I just kind of put my finger near it and can feel it try to stop the trigger but fail. :(
I don't think the gun is a lemon, I think the gunsmith you let work on it is. Send it to SA. In the long run, there works is cheap, top notch, and 100% guaranteed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have never had anything but good to say about my Xdm compact. I have friends who have different pistols, one is a Glock guy and he says my pistol is awesome. I have worked with SA's customer service and they are top notch. With the awesome warranty on SA firearms I would call the service department up and see what they have to say. I am sure they will help you out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have never had anything but good to say about my Xdm compact. I have friends who have different pistols, one is a Glock guy and he says my pistol is awesome. I have worked with SA's customer service and they are top notch. With the awesome warranty on SA firearms I would call the service department up and see what they have to say. I am sure they will help you out.
SA customer service is good, but you are rolling the dice when you let others do trigger jobs. Hopefully, they will still service the gun under warranty, but the technical rules are pretty clear about that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
SA customer service is good, but you are rolling the dice when you let others do trigger jobs. Hopefully, they will still service the gun under warranty, but the technical rules are pretty clear about that.
The problem he is going to have is that he had the trigger job done before firing the pistol in it's stock form. If he had done that before getting the trigger job he would know right off if it was a mistake in the gun itself or if the problem started after the trigger job. If he contacts SA though and tells them the issue they may be able to inform him about what the most likely cause of the problem is and if it could be because of the trigger job, not covered by warranty in that case, or something else and thus covered. Call and hope I say and if they tell you it's not covered or a bad trigger job then decide your course of action from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts