New 911 First Range Report | Springfield XD Forum

New 911 First Range Report

Discussion in 'Springfield XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by ToddinAz, May 18, 2020.

1. May 18, 2020 #1
    ToddinAz

ToddinAz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Had a pretty good range day with the 911. Fired 100 reloads and 190 factory rounds. All reloads functioned perfectly, but did have three failures to extract with the factory range ammo, two Magtech 95 FMJ and one Federal 95 FMJ. Both Federal 99gn HST, and 90gn Hydra Shok functioned perfectly as well.

Started with the factory range ammo, and groups were printing a bit low and left. I first thought it was probably me having to get used to a new gun, but after measuring the sights I could see the front was installed slightly to the right and the rear to the left. Those are now drifted to dead-center and ready for a retest.

Surprisingly all the reloads functioned 100%. I loaded 5 different bullets, including 90gn XTP, 95gn flat, 95gn round nose, 102gn round nose, and 105gn SWC. If there was going to be a issue with any it surely would have been with the 105gn SWC, but they fed, fired and ejected as well as the rest. I was very pleased at the performance of the 90gn XTP with Titegroup, which up until now I haven't used with a JHP. At max charge they were very accurate and went across the chronograph at an average of 1006fps.

Trigger. As a 1911 shooter I was right at home with the 911 trigger. Though a bit heavy out of the box at almost 8 pounds, the take-up and break were exactly what I expected, short and crisp. I did however lighten the pull to right at 5 pounds before taking it to the range which made it even that much better. Checked again after returning from the range it has settled in at 4-3/4 pounds. The only thing I can say I don't like about the trigger is the shoe. It could stand to be longer. A Galloway Crusader trigger should fix this and what I'll be installing.

The last comment I have is that the 911 is tough on brass during ejection. Of the 290 rounds fired it bent about half and munched about 20 of those to the point of being non-reloadable, and maybe more as I never recover all my brass.
    911.jpg sa9111.jpg sa9114.jpg sa9112.jpg sa9113.jpg

2. May 19, 2020 #2
    BigG XDM

BigG XDM XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    Hi Todd. Looks like a pretty nice shooter. Is chewing up that brass pretty good though. I'd be thinking about the long term damage to the gun maybe. What's it rated to shoot with the stock recoil spring?

Had similar looking brass out of my 45 acp 1911 when I went with too light a recoil spring.

3. May 19, 2020 #3
    ToddinAz

ToddinAz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Now that you mention it, the recoil spring does feel light(ish) compared to some of my other 380s. It's also chucking brass pretty far. Only one XTP reload had a max powder charge and that brass was no worse than any other. I'd like to try a heavier recoil spring but I don't think anyone makes one.