Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Thursday, the 21st, I went and bought my first gun. I decided I would buy it for my birthday, the 26th.

The only problem is because of the weekend and everything I have to wait til Wednesday to get it. So I am so excited and can't wait to get it.

I have been trying to do research on aftermarket parts and such to keep me busy while I wait, and thankfully I worked Friday through Tuesday and I'm off Wednesday, but I'm still like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are any things you guys suggest that I get for the gun. Anything that is a must like some spare parts or aftermarket guide rod, or certain sights or anything like that.

Also any suggestions on the best deals/best general ammo for the range and for home defense?

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Hello and welcome from Central Florida!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having just recently gotten a 45 compact I can tell you the one thing you need for yours is AMMO! I love mine and it has eaten everything including my reloads. Enjoy it and shoot it.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas, and to the Springfield family! You made a good choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Only about 28 hours left til I can go pick it up and then 30 mins of racing through traffic to get to the shooting range :)

·
Premium Member
127,706 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Great choice...Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
You will love your 45! I bought mine about 5 years ago and love it. I don't believe in putting things on it except maybe a light. It's from the factory dialed in already so just leave it be! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will love your 45! I bought mine about 5 years ago and love it. I don't believe in putting things on it except maybe a light. It's from the factory dialed in already so just leave it be! Enjoy!!
Well I was thinking of getting the green/green night sights that they have in a few different places online. But was wondering if any one had bad reviews of them or good or had any places that had amazing prices. Also if someone knew of a light or light and laser combo for the bottom of the gun that won't cost me almost as much as the gun.

Also after it's all said and done, the gun is going to be 515, brand new in box. Is that a good price for a local store or no? Compared to most places online that seems pretty decent. But I have no idea if that's really a good price or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just got back from the range with my new .45 compact. It was definitely a blast.
Me and my girlfriend went and she actually was shooting better than me.
Though I blame that on having to wear their crappy eye protection. It had a bunch of scratches on them and everything was looking kinda blurry.
But I still wasn't shooting bad. But my girlfriend had the advantage of getting to wear her own prescription glasses as eye protection.
Anyways, anyone know of any good and inexpensive pairs of eye protection I could pick up locally? Like WalMart or BassPro or SportsAuthority?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just got back from the range with my new .45 compact. It was definitely a blast.
Me and my girlfriend went and she actually was shooting better than me.
Though I blame that on having to wear their crappy eye protection. It had a bunch of scratches on them and everything was looking kinda blurry.
But I still wasn't shooting bad. But my girlfriend had the advantage of getting to wear her own prescription glasses as eye protection.
Anyways, anyone know of any good and inexpensive pairs of eye protection I could pick up locally? Like WalMart or BassPro or SportsAuthority?
Congratulations on your .45 compact KSErules, I will be looking into purchasing one this Nov. It sure has a lot of good reviews. How does it feel to you?

·
Registered
210 Posts
You will not need any spare parts. Springfield Armory maintains your stockpile, it covered in warranty.

If you are going to install night sights, consider sending slide to Springfield Armory or Springer Precision as the sights are almost always extremely tight. Gunsmiths unfamiliar with this problem may not install your spanking new green/green sights properly. When shipping the slide, insure for total value of gun because you can't just buy a new replacement slide in event of loss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will not need any spare parts. Springfield Armory maintains your stockpile, it covered in warranty.

If you are going to install night sights, consider sending slide to Springfield Armory or Springer Precision as the sights are almost always extremely tight. Gunsmiths unfamiliar with this problem may not install your spanking new green/green sights properly. When shipping the slide, insure for total value of gun because you can't just buy a new replacement slide in event of loss.
Thank you for the heads up. I was thinking of getting some spare parts that I've heard of breaking so that I don't have to wait for shipping and everything. Or maybe I could just ask Springfield to send me a spare or something? I'm not sure.
And yeah I think for sights I would ask the range I go to if the gunsmith is familiar with XDs and if they have any kind of guarantee so I'm not SOL.
And thanks for the heads up on the insurance thing. I didn't even think about that but you are 100% right and if something happened I would freak out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on your .45 compact KSErules, I will be looking into purchasing one this Nov. It sure has a lot of good reviews. How does it feel to you?
The XD45 feels really good and comfortable in my hands. Before I bought it I had only shot like 3 times. The only guns I used prior to it were a Glock 19, 21, and a Taurus Millenium subcompact. And I never really liked how the Glock felt in my hands. I mean it was okay, but it never felt like a "right" fit for my hand. And I'm not a fan of the subcompacts, it's just too small for my big goofy hands lol.
When I bought the gun I actually wasn't planning on buying that day. I had just went out to go look around. First I asked for the full size 45 with the 5in" barrel and the guy got it for me and I was messing with it. And then he asked me if I wanted to try the 4" compact. And I said, I dunno... But I'll try it anyways. And when I picked it up and aimed it I was sold. I put some money down and bought it as my birthday present to myself :)
I've taken it to the range 3 times and I'm still surprised at how good it feels compared to the other guns.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats! Got any pics?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you like you XD 45 Compact. I bought the XDm 45 with 4.5 inch barrel and wish they would come out with a compact for this gun too. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts