Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
New to the forum and to xd's in general. I just bought a new xdm 3.8 compact and I love it. I have shot oth xdms before and love every one of them. I've never had abgun that felt like it was made for my hand. I bought the 3.8 compact with the itentiion of this being my ccw gun, and an every day shooter, but I've had a problem.
So far, the gun has 400 rounds through it and it shoots LOW! at first I thought it was me, but the 2 friends I was with agree, this gun is shooting abnormally low. At 15 yards, in order to hit the target, I havebto aim a good 6 inches high. I cant even see the target im aiming at like this. I've read other posts and people have said the point of aim is generally low, but I'm not sure my gun is shooting "normal."
I've tried different shooting stances, different ammo, and let 2 other people shoot it. They both said the same thing. This gun shoots really low.
Is this normal, or should I contact SA and see if there is anything that can be done?
Thanks for the advise, and sorry about the long post

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
First,
Welcome to the forum !!!

As for shooting low,
The XD line is designed with what is referred to as a 6 o'clock hold, when using the sights.

So I doubt the gun actually shoots low, it's just different.
You need to put the front dot a bit above the rear dots.

If that doesn't solve your problem ... YES, contact SA and request that you send the gun in for confirmation of the problem.

It could be off, but it's most likely just that the design is different than what you, and your friends are used to.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Welsome From Nebraska!

AZXD makes a great point here, I agree completely.

Try shooting it as AZXD pictured from a vise or bag.

Also, just to double check, try different ammo if you haven't already.

Doesn't happen often but guns can be picky to ammo...if your are using WWB, try federal, if both ammo shoots low from a rest @ 6 o'clock hold, then definitly send it in.

Or send the gun to me or AZXD along with 500 rounds and we will test it for you :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
My XD and XDm guns do best when I place the target directly behind the center dot. I don't car for it really, but once I got used to it, it is very accurate. I'm eventually going to put some height adjustable rear sights on and fix the issue.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I also recently got a 3.8 compact bi-tone. As you, I also shoot low with it, and also to the right. I haven't fired it enough to really work on the issue yet. But I contribute the shooting right to my small hand and cannot quite get a full, even trigger pull, so I pull it to the right because I'm left handed. At least that's my theory for what it's worth. I haven't changed the backstrap yet, but hopefully the smallest one will help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My XDM is the best and most fun weapon I have ever had

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope I can clarify what was happening while I was shooting. Remember, this was not just me but 2 other people who were shooting my gun. (sorry about the pictures, its the best I can do with microsoft paint)
The first picture is how I normally aim a hand gun. (and how my XDm manual says my gun is sighted)
The second picture is how I have to aim in order to hit the target. note, that in order to get the sights this high, the gun completely covers the target.
The last picture is how I understand AZXD recommends that I shoot.
While at the range, I shot a friends XDm 4.5 9mm and his was sighted more like the first picture. He agreed that my gun shot low.
If the last picture is actually the case, is it possible to get the gun re-sighted? It seems strange to me that this gun would be so different from every other gun (including xd's and XDm's) that I've shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was at a local gun shop recently, and a customer bought in his new XD(m) 3.8 9mm that he had purchased two days before and traded it in for a Sig.
Thread might explain why. Was really interested until I read the posts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The most adjustiable thing is you. You might have to learn how to adjust your eye instead of going crazy with sights

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Another Texan welcomes you to the Forum! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most adjustiable thing is you. You might have to learn how to adjust your eye instead of going crazy with sights
If my gun was off by an inch or two, this might make sense. But my gun is off by at least 6 to 8 inches. like i said before, in order to hit the target, i have to aim so high that i cant see any of it.
I dont think I would feel comfortable with my life, or the life of a loved one being protected with a gun this far off.
Another problem arises when somebody else (mainly my fiancee) picks up this gun do defend our house, or herself with while im gone.
Again, I just dont think this is normal. Has anybody else with an XDm 3.8 compact 9mm experienced the same thing?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
As I posted before, try different ammo, and make sure to shoot from a rest...if it doesn't shoot accurate....then call Springfield, and send it in

98% its the shooter, hence the responses you have gotten, but there is a chance you got a bad unit....it happens...that's what the warranty if for

No real other way to handle it.

Post back with updates!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts