Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

First post! (here)

I've been reading on this forum for a while now. I've always been curious of the XD ever since I heard of it many years ago. It seems to have a lot of interesting features to me while other polymer combat handguns only can gather a few I like. No need to name them, you all know!

I've been around firearms for a long time now. I work at my local gun range and do repair and fitting work on pistols and revolvers for many members there. I'm a 1911 affictionado, and like AR-15s and M1As a lot too.

So here is my big dilema! I have the money, I have the interest. I have tried all the other polymer pistols in 9mm out there. From the Styr M to the Glock 17, through the USP, P99, Ruger and so on. BUT!!!! I have never even HELD an XD in my hands! I've read about them, seen tons of pics, range reports, etc. but never reached for that single action trigger, nor felt the contour of the frame in my palm, or tested the slide to frame fit...

I want to get an XD, but I can't find a place near me that has one in stock! What should I do? I can't buy firearms often, I have to choose them carefully. I would get a Black XD-9 Tactical. I like Springfield, I have a 1911 from them already and its the pistol I shoot the most. Heck I even wear a Springfield Armory T-shirt often! 8)

Thanks everyone!

Alex.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Alex the XD has the same grip angle as the 1911. Most people that transition from a 1911 like how the xd feels. About the only thing you should watch since you are a 1911 person. 1911 users usually use a high thumb grip. On the xd this high thumb grip can cause you to engage the slide stop prematurely or keep the slide from locking back when empty.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello ajames!

Thanks for your reply!

One of the reasons I don't appreciate Glocks enough to own one is the grip angle and it's blocky feeling in my hand. The fact the XD has a 1911ish grip angle sure sounds very apealing to me!

PM sent about business!

Alex.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Bienvenue Alex and welcome to the board. As James said, the XD mimics the 1911 grip angle as well as the SIG and HK for that matter. It's natural and instinctive pointing characteristics set it apart from the better known Tupperware.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome Frenchy!

I'm really thinking about taking the guess and ordering one. To be totally honest, I think I'm a bit worried about getting a so-so quality firearm. I have no idea what kind of fit to expect, what amount of slide play and trigger slack etc. Just taking one in my hands for 5 seconds would sure answer a lot of uncertainties! Maybe I'm spoiled by $1,500 custom tuned guns... eh! :shock:

Alex.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
For what it's worth!...Most of us who started this forum, took a blind chance on a no-name gun from little known Eastern European country. The rest is history. :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are available, but only the 5'' models. Every handgun that has a barrel under 4.1 inches is classified as prohibited, and only people that posessed some before the new laws passed can still own them. Yes you heard that right. No Glock 19, no USP compact, no S&W 696 4'', no commander 1911s. Lots of people have them, but I can't buy them.

I'm not impresed by more political lies of a desperate man that wants to be reelected at all costs. Don't get me started on politics :evil:

8)

I can get a brand new XD-9 Tactical by the mail from my favorite gun distributor in Manitoba (www.wolverinesupplies.com) for 785$ CND shipping and taxes included, which is with the new change rates around $600 USD. Not bad for an import. Couple of months ago it was more like $500 USD, but our currency has been going up pretty much lately.

Alex.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
1911Alex said:
I can get a brand new XD-9 Tactical by the mail from my favorite gun distributor in Manitoba (www.wolverinesupplies.com) for 785$ CND shipping and taxes included, which is with the new change rates around $600 USD. Not bad for an import. Couple of months ago it was more like $500 USD, but our currency has been going up pretty much lately.

Alex.
That makes me want to throw one over the border to you.

Uh... I didn't know I couldn't do that officer... :D

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[TASF said:
Maverick]That makes me want to throw one over the border to you.

Uh... I didn't know I couldn't do that officer... :D
Dang where did that pistol come from :?: :roll:

Lots of stuff are available, but some of the laws are just plain stupid, like all the transportation permits to go to the shooting range with restricted firearms, and 4.1 inch barrels and up. Well, at lest I can enjoy that hobby. I got plenty of very nice firearms, lots of ammo, and a very neat place to shoot them at. Although all my AR mags are pinned at 5 rounds, and my pistol mags at 10...

Merry Christmas to all of you too!

Alex.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Your British history doesn't help in this case. There is something to be said for our 2nd. Amendment, and a powerful lobby like the NRA.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here to have a firearm is a privilege.

In the US it's a right.

I've had a comment today from someone that handled an XD pistol. He said that because of the curve at the back-top of the grip (where the grip safety is), the trigger reach was too short to his liking. Anyone else experienced that?

Alex.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Going along with what others have said so far, I first held an XD (40, Tactical) about a month ago, and I immediately felt the similarity to my 1911's. The grip is extremely comfortable. As AJames said, the high-thumb grip was my first instinct, and I haven't received my XD yet (layaway) but I have a feeling it will take me a bit to break the habit due to the slide stop.

If you enjoy shooting 1911's, you won't be disappointed with the polymer XD. It really is a great firearm. Good luck in your decision, and keep your Prime Minister at bay! :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
1911Alex said:
Here to have a firearm is a privilege.

In the US it's a right.

I've had a comment today from someone that handled an XD pistol. He said that because of the curve at the back-top of the grip (where the grip safety is), the trigger reach was too short to his liking. Anyone else experienced that?

Alex.
Just personal preference. There really isn't a one size fits all pistol. Some pistols may try with replaceable backstraps like the Walther P-22, but in the long run it's hard to please everyone. 8)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your post Darkfire!

I'm really tempted! Your words are cheering me up!!!

My vote isn't going for Paul Martin for sure. As any other person that has interest in security, police, army, hunting, firearms and common sense, I won't encourage lying scum that prefer their social advatages over the benefit of their nation. :evil: For those who don't know, Paul Martin is the current canadian prime minister, and there are elections at the end of january '06. He is anti gun, and is stating that he'l try to ban all weapons from civil use.

How do you find the trigger reach on the XD?

Alex.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
The trigger reach problem isn't one that I've heard. A rough measurement comes to about 63mm, Alex. I have average hands and find the trigger hits me at the first joint.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot for taking the time to measure it! And in centimeters even!!! I'm impressed haha! 8)

I measure the trigger reach to be around 65 mm on a 1911 at the shortest point (long trigger). Sounds pretty darn similar. I find the trigger reach to be perfect for me on 1911s with long triggers.

The friend that told me about the fact he found the trigger reach a lill short is a super hardcore Glock fan btw. So I'm not taking his opinion for granted. Just thought I'd ask about it anyway! I haven't read about that on this board over the last few months either.

Anyone got some pics to show me? :p Talking about pics, wheres the pic thread on this board?

Alex.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
This is my original Gen.1.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Frenchy, do you fire that Gen 1 or is that one you're keeping unused? It appears to be in excellent condition!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts