Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to say Hi to all! currently looking at picking up a xd9 or xdm shortly. Now to the real question, I have a friend who has been bragging about not cleaning his xd9 after 6,000 rounds he only applies lube on internal parts, I think he is a fool for doing so but he claims he doesn't need to clean it. What are your guys thoughts on this???am I wrong to disagree? He also believes I shouldn't apply a thin layer of lube on the exterior of my AR-15 claiming it does nothing to protect it and will only promote dirt collection. I don't leave it dripping wet I wipe off most of it after application. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter and thank you for your responses in advance.

-Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Although I do believe the XD will run like a champ under such stress, I wouldn't reccomend it, nor would I do it to mine.

Oh and BTW, it's not bragging if he backs it up!

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wouldn't do that to my guns but I have no doubt it will still function.

As far as the AR goes, I wouldn't lube anything on the exterior unless it was going away for long term storage.

As a general rule, oil things that come into metal to metal contact, but also keep in mind anything you lube can/will attract dirt.

Theres not really anything worth oiling on the exterior during a routine cleaning.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The only gun I do not go crazy cleaning wise is my AK. As for my handguns I do not break them down every time. I do clean the barrel, face, feedramp, extractor, and mag well. I then spray a light coat of rem oil on the enternal parts. As for the outside I whipe it down with a good cleaning rag. That way I make sure there is not extra solvent, or oil for dirt etc. to stick too. I would not reccomend going that long without a cleaning. Even though the weapon may handle it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your prompt replies, I will def be rethinking my views on applying a light application of lubricant next time I clean my AR. Most of you guys are saying you would not recommend going this far w/o cleaning your firearm. Would not cleaning it for this long cause possible metal breakdown/ premature failures?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
not cleaning will increase the wear of the gun by getting bits of carbon and brass bits in between the moving parts.

as far as the ar goes there isnt too much purpose in oiling the outside since most of the outside is alluminum and wont rust anyways. but oiling the outside of the steel parts wont hurt anything. even so i do put a light coat of oil on the outside of my ar from time to time and rub it with a dry clean oil free cloth. or i use a silicone cloth. but like has been said oiling hte outside isnt really needed unless you are storing it for a while.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
thank you all for your prompt replies, I will def be rethinking my views on applying a light application of lubricant next time I clean my AR. Most of you guys are saying you would not recommend going this far w/o cleaning your firearm. Would not cleaning it for this long cause possible metal breakdown/ premature failures?
it probably will but xds and other guns like it have pretty loose tolerances and can have a more dirt in there then a 1911 which has much tighter fitting parts. you could easily go without cleaning your gun for at least 1000 rounds without any problem. i personally clean my gun everytime i shoot it. and do a full detailed strip clean every 1000 rounds or so

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Think of it this way. Ok they reccomend that you change your oil every 3,000 or 3 months. Lets say you went 12,000 miles without a change. Oil breaks down over time. Which=too more friction over time. Metal, and friction=wear. More so then if it's well lubed. Same goes for a gun. If you just lightly lube your enternal parts after each range trip, you will get more wear out of those parts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
While I have no doubt the XD will stand up to not cleaning. It doesn't make sense not to. Heck, if I put $500.00+ in a firearm, I want it to last as long as I can make it last. I quick clean ANY Firearm 1x per month if stored, and after each shooting session. I use light lube on sliding surfaces. Eviro-Friendly Bore Cleaner. (Hoppes Elite.) I use G96 or Break Free CLP as lube/protectant. I don't have rust, I don't have malfunctions.
Everyone has their way. That's mine. To each His/Her own.
As far as the AR: Clean it! Those things get dirty & fast. Gas Operated semi automatics like this get pretty dirty. If you are going to spend maybe $1000.00+, usually more on an AR, why not clean & lube it? It's VERY EASY.
My 2 cents on the matter

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes. Powder can corrode. Metal rusts & wears with no cleaning & lubing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you brag about not taking care of your gun?

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. Be comforted that your gun is able to take a beating and remain reliable, but don't temp fate.

Stupid friend... wait... on second thought see if you can get him to drag it behind his car for 30 miles and keep it in a tank of salt water in his living room, then after a few weeks get behind something and let him fire off a couple hundred rounds. Be sure to youtube it.

Oh see if he will let you shoot it with your AR too. :p

I mean hell if you are going to treat the gun like crap, do it right.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Can you brag about not taking care of your gun?

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. Be comforted that your gun is able to take a beating and remain reliable, but don't temp fate.

Stupid friend... wait... on second thought see if you can get him to drag it behind his car for 30 miles and keep it in a tank of salt water in his living room, then after a few weeks get behind something and let him fire off a couple hundred rounds. Be sure to youtube it.

Oh see if he will let you shoot it with your AR too. :p

I mean hell if you are going to treat the gun like crap, do it right.
All that stuff has been done ( and with a glock no less ) and it runs fine.

Thousands of rounds through my XD-9Service, few cleanings, no malfs, no rust. I DO run over all my guns with an oily rag if I won't be using them for a while. I do it as much to nullify human residue and wipe off the "outside world" on the exterior as I do to really lube it. I think human oils and sweat and what not might cause some finish damage to some surfaces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've cleaned my XD twice in 5,000 rounds...and I've learned from it.

No more! Any time I shoot 200+ rounds it's gonna get a full cleaning. (Which is pretty much every time I go to the range)

Took me 15 minutes just to clean the feedramp on the barrel! Take it apart, look at the feedramp. IMAGINE 15 MINUTES JUST THERE!

Regular cleaning = easy cleaning!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I clean my XD after every range trip. It can handle the abuse, but why subject it to it? As for the oil on the outside of the AR, I would say no. However, I do wipe all of my firearms down with a gun/reel silicon cloth which shines 'em up and protects 'em.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I cleaned my .40 today. Only 120 rounds fired, and it was pretty dirty. Have to say it's one of the easiet guns I have cleaned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would hate to have to clean that Sig after that mess! That's exactly what dude was saying about his feed ramp and spending 15 mins on it. Clean it after each use and you'll save yourself the potential pain in the ass if you develop malfunctions because of dirt and powder residue. The day your freinds' gun may malfunction may be the day he actually needs to use it to save his life.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
I would hate to have to clean that Sig after that mess! That's exactly what dude was saying about his feed ramp and spending 15 mins on it. Clean it after each use and you'll save yourself the potential pain in the ass if you develop malfunctions because of dirt and powder residue. The day your freinds' gun may malfunction may be the day he actually needs to use it to save his life.
He had to use a flat head screw driver to scrape off the fouling. :shock:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts