Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to shooting firearms and I have found the analysis of my range performances extremely important to my improvement. I've tried a few approaches at the range but the one that seems to be more conducive to improvement for me has been the firing of 3 shot groups.

I tend to alternate between firing and resetting to the "low-ready", slow fire, and rapid.

I try to get as many discernible groups on a target, recording each shot's order and encircling each group. From this, I am able to input the data collected using a coordinate system. These are some of the current and future features I am hoping to implement:

First, second, and third round placements.
Group placement and radius. (under development)
Overall tendencies.
No need to keep targets, each group can be individually displayed (under development... and will take a while)

Below, you'll see some of the graphs I've created so far. These display all of the recorded shots for the stated distances. The next development will allow me to display the group location and radius as a circle with the center at the group's central point and the radius equal to half the group's size. The individual shots will be visible within this circle.

Again, the pictures below are just test trials and they are very crude so take them for what they are right now. Thanks.

7yds

10yds

15yds

I know that many will agree that all this is overkill. Hell, half way through the initial stages of this project I thought so too but then I found myself deeply interested in how much can be accomplished with simple math. Not to mention that I can retain the data on my range targets without having to store them physically!

Yeah, I know, I should be promoted from NERD to GEEK, but I'll leave that up to you all. If any are interested in this project just post here. Critiques and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not, I'm using OpenOffice. It would work just the same in Excel. I used the spreadsheet because it allows me to quickly input data in a logical manner. I think that once the project's core is completely formulated the presentation would be much different. I am not sure if I will stick to the spreadsheet format or go another route.

For now it works well for me. I still have to get all of the other features working.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
It seems like a lot of work to me, but it is cool. If you are concerned about tracking your performance over time, I would just save the targets and keep them ordered by date. It would be quick to flip through them and see your progress.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is, but quantifying things is another hobby of mine. And as I mentioned in my post, I want to be able to get rid of the range targets. That's the fundamental premise for the project.

Anyways, since I am not on a deadline, I will take my time with this. Hopefully, I will be able to come up with something that I can make available for the public.

·
Registered
776 Posts
When I shoot, I start by putting up two targets, one over the other. When I change targets every 10-15 rounds I remove and replace the top target with a new one directly on top of the bottom one. Over the course of a day's shooting I develop a pattern in that bottom target that doesn't show in each individual target.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Makes pretty pictures, but seems like a lot of work.
I find a few notes made on my shoot sheet in the files works. No bulky storage and it s fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts