Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on another site who's main focus is m4 carbines cough cough and someone has a thread going of why the XD series of pistols has failed/not taken off. I was a bit surprised to see this because in my opinion the XD has done very well. I would bet if someone could compare sales figures of Glock's when they first came out against the release of the XD I would bet the XD has out sold the Glock. Many posters are bashing the XD and saying they are not accurate and have mechanical issues. I for one have never experienced any of this nor seen anyone who has. I would expect this on a Glock site but not a m4 site.

I know the OP was refering mostly to LEO circles and I do not know how many LEO's carry an XD but we all know it is a lot less then Glock however Glock has been around for 20 years or so. Also if we are at all honest since the LEO community is mostly 40 cal the XD has not been the most competitve in that caliber do to magazine capacity. I feel the M is going to change all of that. I also feel that Glock has been left in the past by many brands that are offering a lot more user friendly features that matter to a one size fits all pistol.

What do you guys think? I know we are all XD fans here but would you consider the XD as a failure?

Dave

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well, I'd carry an XD as my main weapon if they'd let me. I do, however, carry my XD9 SC as my backup weapon. I think it's safe to say they're well made.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a dangerous limb here. As far as law-enforcement and military goes, yea, the xd kinda has been a bust. In the civilian market, I wouldn't be surprised if the xd is the #1 selling pistol out there today. But as far as I know, no major law enforcment agencies have adopted it. While there are plenty of medium to small agencies that have approved it for carry, as far as I know none have made it standard issue.

The capacity of the xd40 service might have something to do with it. I don't know.

Alot of that has to do, I think, with the fact that glock is willing to sell their pistols for dirt cheap to agencies. And those agencies that can spend extra cash on duty pistols tend to splurge on h&ks or sigs. I've got a friend in law enforcement, and he told me that their agency got their glocks for under $250 per unit! IMHO, glock is willing to sell for dirt cheap, maybe even lose money, in order to get the "free advertising" of being carried by half the cops in the country.

Ultimately I would say that it probably hasn't been so much the failure of SA and the xd, so much as the success of glock.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
^^^ What RYSTINE said!!! And to add my own opinion....I'm totally convinced that had the XD come on the Market before or around the same time that Glock did, the XD would have out done the Glock!!! The two XD's that I've owned have been flawless in about 2k rounds...so that's a big NO from me, the XD is most definitely not a failure!!!! Of course this is just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
It's almost like the people who think Mobil 1 is the only synthetic oil to use because it's used in so many factory fills. People drinking the kool-aid don't understand the business behind it. By all means M1 is good oil, but the ones who drink the KA think it's the GOD of oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After my first gun (Taurus Mil Pro) i was concerned about safety because of the 3 jams per clip it provided. Then i purchased my XD9SC and i couldnt feel safer and i'm sure i could drag the gun behind a truck for a 1/4 mile pick it up and fire it (have not tested that theory) excellent gun with decent grouping would like to check out the EMP and see if i can make tighter groups...

XD9SC 3.5K not one jam

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It's not so much the publicity glock is after as it is the service contract for the agencies that adopt the glock for dirt cheap unit price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The xd is also considered a single action and supposedly that's why we aren't seeing the larger police dept's using them( at least that's what i'm being told).

·
Registered
306 Posts
they are threatened.. and are actually questioning their Glocks..

envy is a rough thing.. :lol:

Harris County Sheriffs Department (Texas) have XDs, AFAIK..

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the "I hate" threads. I have owned Glocks for years and have never had an issue. With that said I have just bought my XD .45 tactical and am in love with it. So far no issues with it either. And to be honest I don't expect any.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
The other thing that Glock does is come in and offer to buy the previous weapons for.....$250 each.

So they are selling Glock pistols for $250 and buying the old pistols for $250. Net cost to the city? $0

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's almost like the people who think Mobil 1 is the only synthetic oil to use because it's used in so many factory fills. People drinking the kool-aid don't understand the business behind it. By all means M1 is good oil, but the ones who drink the KA think it's the GOD of oil.
Off topic, I know. BUT:

There don't seem to be many true fully synthetic motor oils down at the parts store these days. . . what are my other choices?

·
Registered
53 Posts
IF by "failure" you mean extremely reliable and accurate, comfortable and ergonomic, packed full of features, and a snap to clean... then yeah, the XD is a total and utter failure.
No, but seriously, it is a great gun. I think another poster hit it on the head, not enough LE exposure. I think if SA were to promote it a little more, maybe take a few hits on a few thousand units just to get the pistol into the hands of the cops, it would do wonders.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
After my first gun (Taurus Mil Pro) i was concerned about safety because of the 3 jams per clip it provided.
Interesting...a 145? I had the same problem after break-in, and own an XD .45C now instead.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Can't help thinking that the lack of LEO issued XD's is largely a political one. The XD is a SAO pistol and if you read Massad Ayoob's writings on such subjects, you'll see that LEA's have been shying away from anything other than DA/DAO (or with the Glock "safe action") for quite a few years now.

The XD continues to impress those that use them regularly and continues to upset those that lack confidence in their own weapons and wish they owned XD's.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I saved a local article where all the glocks, were replaced with xd's and there are about 3 pictures of officers at the range with them. I will scan it and post it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Off topic, I know. BUT:

There don't seem to be many true fully synthetic motor oils down at the parts store these days. . . what are my other choices?

Well a true synthetic motor oil would be one with a GROUP IV, V, or VI (newest group) basestock. Grp II is a conventional oil. Group III is considered synthetic but is derived from conventional oil, but it's about a far from a conventional oil as it can be.

No one oil is going to perform the same in every engine. Unless you're doing extended drain intervals, or severe service, any API SM rated oil will suite your needs fine for standard drains. People seem to get caught up on the fact on this TRUE synthetic BS that a GRP III isn't synthetic. An Add pack is just as important as the Basestock.
Mobil 1
Castrol Syntec,
Pennzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower

Just to name a few are all good synthetic oils. Most of M1s offerings are GRP IV, with the debatable exception of 5w30 and 10w30..

There's also Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple. For the money Royal Purple is a decent oil, but not worth the cost IMO.

I run my wife's 01 cavalier to 6K OCIs with Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 (Conventional Oil). Used Oil Analysis gives proof the oil is doing it's job very well with low wear numbers and I will continue that OCI. I can get that oil with filter on sale for $9 for 5 quarts and a filter (4 quart sump).

I don't want to ramble on about oil in this thread, but check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
467 Posts
I took my concealed carry class through the local sheriff's office. At the range, when the deputies were inspecting our weapons, the dep said, "nice weapon". I said, yeah, I'm happy with it. He replied, "you should be, it's a heck of a handgun!" So we know that some LEO's are impressed.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts