Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have wanted an AR for a long LONG time. My wife doesn't like guns and I just convinced her to let me get a handgun a few months ago (got the XDm .40). I am afraid of a very real possibility of a new AWB that could wind up being permanent from what I have read. I just started surfing the AR section trying to find some info on what I may get, I will probably build one to save some money. Now for the dilema which I need your input on. Wife basically said no, I have been trying to break her but I cant try too hard obviosly because I know she will get annoyed. I know there is no way I could hide it from her, I live in a 720 sq foot condo, she doesn't work and I would have to assemble it at some point and she is a light sleeper. We have 2 cars and I have thought about keeping it in my car because she never drives it but firearms aren't allowed at work even in the car and I don't want to risk my job. Sigh, so do I just keep trying to work on her, what did you guys do to convince your wifes if they weren't ok with it? Should I just go ahead and get one and hope she doesn't freak out too badly (I highly doubt she would leave me but she would be VERY upset). Also, if a new AWB is put in place do you think they would make us turn in our AR's or do you think they would grandfather anyone in that has one already?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Does she have reason for not wanting you to get one beyond not liking guns?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't see the "need" for me to have an AR, I jokingly told her it was in case the zombies came but she just glared at me. I know we call them evil black guns but she really thinks they are evil

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
ITS an investment!!! Well worth buying one NOW. probably double in price in 200 days! Get it done..

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
No one here would ever say "Don't buy a gun" lol

If you don't have a rifle I would suggest getting one. If she won't let you have a black AR maybe get a wooden AK? Its half the price and reliable as all get out.

I would suggest getting at least ONE semi rifle. Like they say... your handgun is what you use to fight your way back to your rifle...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
ok, here's the deal. My girlfriend has a hard time understanding the need as well (I told her I needed to buy a car, get an AK, then I'd get her an engagement ring... well, I got the car, spent way more on the AK than I was expecting, and now I'm starting an AR build... no ring yet). How have I managed this?

Sit her down and watch Red Dawn. You don't really have to do this, but thoroughly explain that it is an incredibly important and valuable defense weapon that will serve the two of you for the rest of your lives, and it may be your last chance to acquire it. And throw in the whole "it's an investment" thing as well. Between these, it should at least get you in the clear to "only spend $150 for a stripped lower." Then of course spend another $700-$1200 completing it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thats great until you tell her you have to spend a couple thousand on ammo to make it worth having! If you don't have the means to make it go boom then what keeps the bad guys from taking it? Unfortunately bad guys doesn't quite mean the same as it used too!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Buy an AR and tons of mags and ammo....then you can store it at my house so she won't get mad!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
You're from Lynnwood. So you are surrounded by Liberals. Your wife may or may not listen to what these Libs think about guns.

You could always try a carpet-bomb approach. Discuss the differences conservatives and liberals have with gun ownership. Discuss the very real possibility of an AWB in the near future that would make it too expensive or impossible for you to buy an AR. Then fine tune and talk about home defense and stuff.

Worked with my wife, of course we don't live in Lynnwood (we're down south) so my wife might not be as "educated" as yours. Not trying to be condescending, just calling it how i see it.

If money issue that's different. Whole new ball game, but same rules apply. :cool:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
My girl was never anti-gun but she was never pro-gun, either. I've taught her all about them. Got her involved by showing her stuff, asking for her opinions on what looks better, etc. Than, I told her how it'd be cool for both of us to have our own guns and to be able to go to the range together to spend time. I can bet that it'll work. My girl loves it now. She's got her "own" Walther P22 in so many words and she wants to even get a suppressor for it. :lol:

The real question is why is she so against guns? Have you tried to teach her about them? Have you taught her about safety? Have you got her to go shooting? Do all of the above and buy her own gun and make it a "bonding time" for the two of you to go to the range. If it's also a hobby of hers, she'll have a damn hard time denying you to be able to buy something. I'm really going to have to say the above are certainly good reasons but they won't seem like it to her. I'm almost positive of it. I say try my suggestion and if all else fails than you can throw that in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My girl was never anti-gun but she was never pro-gun, either. I've taught her all about them. Got her involved by showing her stuff, asking for her opinions on what looks better, etc. Than, I told her how it'd be cool for both of us to have our own guns and to be able to go to the range together to spend time. I can bet that it'll work. My girl loves it now. She's got her "own" Walther P22 in so many words and she wants to even get a suppressor for it. :lol:

The real question is why is she so against guns? Have you tried to teach her about them? Have you taught her about safety? Have you got her to go shooting? Do all of the above and buy her own gun and make it a "bonding time" for the two of you to go to the range. If it's also a hobby of hers, she'll have a damn hard time denying you to be able to buy something. I'm really going to have to say the above are certainly good reasons but they won't seem like it to her. I'm almost positive of it. I say try my suggestion and if all else fails than you can throw that in.

And if all that effort of BS and hoopla don't work tell her shut the f*%k up and do what you want boy damn!

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Maybe a compromise is in order.

There are many rifles that don't look nearly as intimidating as the AR but can be used quite effectively and quickly in a self defense situation.

You can pass them off as deer hunting rifles if this assuages her fear.

I would Consider :

AK
SKS
Mini-14
M1A
Marlin Lever Action .30-30
Thompson "Tommy Gun"

I know this doesnt help you in your quest for an AR, and doesn't put your fears to rest about an AWB, but it might help a little bit.

The other thing I can say is make a list of points why you think it's reasonable for you to own one. Include VERY specific situations where the gun may save your life, her life, or the life of your present or future children someday. Explain that you feel it's not just your right, but your duty to be properly armed in case of an emergency. Bring up recent social unrest events, like Katrina, and point out how those who were unarmed were at the mercy of criminals.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but she's a woman. Women tend to think emotionally rather than rationally about many subjects until you can sit them down and reason through them.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
And if all that effort of BS and hoopla don't work tell her shut the f*%k up and do what you want boy damn!
Agreed but it's not really a lot of effort since you ought to be doing it anyways. Besides, it makes life a LOT nicer on you when she is spending $400 on gun stuff for you for presents. ;)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Tell her if she doesn't like it that's fine, you'll trade her and a goat for one and ACTUALLY DO IT!

Trust me, it sounds like you'd be better off with the gun.

·
Registered
193 Posts

^ Step 1

^ Step 2

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Have her read the following website: written by a woman for other woman...

Cornered Cat

My wife grew up around guns and has no problem with me having them {except for the cost:mrgreen:} but she enjoyed reading this anyway.

Another possibility would be to start buying parts as you are working on her. With the exception of the stock and a few other pieces, it can be hard for a non gun person to tell what they are.

Woof
Bowser

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I will start buying some parts that she wouldn't know what they are for while trying to work on her some more, if all else fails I will just get one and ask for forgiveness later :D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My wife didn't like guns at first but when she got used to my .22 rifle being around I took her to a local gunshop with a range in the back. She shot a little Ruger .22 and loved it. This was a few years ago. Since buying my XD she does think I am obsessed, :rolleyes:. She is right. But if push came to shove perhaps we could agree on a dollar for dollar gun to shoe ratio!;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
(I told her I needed to buy a car, get an AK, then I'd get her an engagement ring... well, I got the car, spent way more on the AK than I was expecting, and now I'm starting an AR build... no ring yet). How have I managed this?
Amazing. I have done basically the same thing! Not really on purpose of course! 2 stripped lowers later (which of course need to be built before I can afford a ring :twisted:), a S&W snubbie, an XD 9, and a 1911....and of course I gotta feed all those guns and still I for some reason can't afford a ring!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts