Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have researched these guns and looked all over these forums.

ive decided that i love this gun and i am going to buy one. this will be my first gun. I am debating between the subcompact and the service model. i was leaning toward the service model .40, in all black. but i saw the sc in green/black, and it looks so dang good. i dont care for the green in 4in, but the sc looks hot. i just cant decide which one to get... just venting my frustration but if you have any advice, being that it is my first purchase iw ould appreciate it.

i figured i would get the 4in, and if i liked it a lot which i'm sure i will. i would get my conceal permit and get the subcompact..

what do you all think.

thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took the opposite route of your thinking. I bought the SC for my first gun, and I'm getting a V10 for my second.

I think if your going to be mostly using at the range as opposed to carry, go w/ the service.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you are not going to use the gun for CCW I would go with the service.
It was my first handgun 2 years ago, now I just cant stop buying them.
I have the service, the sub and I just ordered the Tac. I need a 12 step group to help kick the habbit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i'm just like you. i already see myself buying whichever one i dont buy first. i was just curious as to what you all think.

i guess maybe i should get a concealed weapons permit first before i get the SC. its just that its so friggin BA looking in the grn/blk ....

what a situation i've got myself in.. i should have never looked at the subcompact at that gunshow....

i guess it could be worse. i could have decided on a glock. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I must be the only one on this board that is out of sync. I think the green is butt ugly, yet if I'm correct, I'm the only one that has ever said that here. I have seen the gun at the gun store, so I know what it looks like up close and it just doesn't do it for me. But then, I also don't like the cameo and others have just raved about it.

I like the black, if it came in parkarized I'd like that also. Hard Chrome doesn't do anything for me, but I do like stainless as the 60 and 66 I list below are that. But green; UGH!

My $.1/2.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I bought the service first, and later traded it for a subcompact. I want a gun to carry. The 4" was too big because the grip stuck out too much for me to conceal.

It all depends what your purpose of having the gun. If you want to target gun, get the 4". If you want a conceal, get the 3". Color is just you're personal preference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
retired, i dont care for the green in any other model other than the SC.
i dont know what it is, i just like it a lot for the sub. I'm going all black for the service model.

i figure i'll get the service model, since this will be used primarily at the range

plus i have yet to acquire a conceal liscence... that will be my next thing i suppose..

thanks for everyones time

Oh. and also, can anyone tell me where they found the cheapest ammo ($$wise, not quality wise)

thanks

lynx

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first XD (by far not my first pistol) was a 4" 357 Sig Service Model that I bought when they first came out. I liked it so much, I bought my wife a black 9mm Sub Compact, that she really likes and shoots well. It's also her everyday carry gun. I then bought myself an XD 9mm black SC, and then a guy owed me some money that he didn't have, so I took a new Olive Drab 9mm SC from him in payment.

I didn't like the OD at first, but it kind of grows on you. Now it's my everyday carry gun, and I added night sights to it, along with a couple of Don Hume holsters. I do sometimes carry the 4" 357 Sig Service Model, depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing. I'm 6'1" and 205 pounds, so I don't have much trouble hiding either one of them in an inside the waistband holster, or even the Don Hume H726 belt holster, with a vest over it.

If you're going to use this as a range gun, then my suggestion is to get the 4" Service Model. It points well and is easy to shoot well. The SC is also easy to shoot, but the extra inch of barrel gives you a longer sight radius and a little faster recovery.

My favorite of the whole bunch is the 357 Sig Service Model. That is one sweet shooting gun and speaks with a little authority when fired. The only problem for you would be that I assume you don't load your ammunition, and 357 Sig as a little spendy to buy across the counter. I reload almost everything I shoot and usually keep about 10,000 rounds of 357 Sig loaded up. When loading, it only cost a couple of pennies more to load than 9mm.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dead on. i dont load for myself, i wouldnt know where to start.. maybe someday.

but i appreciate the help. the green grew on me too, but only in the SC version of the gun, and it continues to do so. . . i'm almost positive that i'll get the service model first. prolly start off in .40s&w---

about your reloads, do you have a problem with them, or is the dependablity a function of quality. i presume that you take care in loading your own, but i didnt know if you still had any failures..

thanks for all the help.

looking forward to contributing in the forum

lynx

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lynx,

I'm an old fart, who has been loading for 44 years, and at last count, had loaded well over 500,000 rounds of various calibers. I take great pride in my reloads, as I do in anything I do, including my shooting.

There are some people who shouldn't reload, and there are some who should. The one's who shouldn't are the same one's who bleed everytime they pick up a screwdriver, or any other tool.

When reloading ammunition, there can be no distractions, such as television, ernest conversation, etc. And absolutely no alcoholic consumption during, or prior to, working at the loading bench. It's something you want to totally concentrate on what you're doing in each step of the process.

With that said, it's a very enjoyable hobby. I prefer not to watch the current drivel on television, so I reload ammunition. Lot's of ammunition, in 26 different calibers, at last count. There is great satisfaction in turning out a product that I can be proud of.

As to your question of malfunctions, no, I don't get any malfunctions, once I've worked up the load I'm going to use in each firearm. Each load is tailored for the firearm it's going to be shot in. That's part of the enjoyment of reloading, tailoring your loads.

Some will tell you that reloading is cheaper, which in simple terms of round to round comparison with factory ammunition, it is. But, and that's a big but, you find that you're always looking for good deals on components and for more brass to reload, so you really end of spending more money than you intended, but for the dollars spent, you will have a mountain of quality ammunition you reloaded, instead of a mole hill of factory fodder that is generic to all guns of that caliber.

On occasion, I find that I enjoy the reloading even more than the shooting, but then that's just me. If you ever consider taking up reloading, the NRA has a basic Reloading course that is pretty good. You can also have a veteran reloader mentor you, if that reloader is a dependable sort of person that you feel you can trust. A friend's drinking buddy wouldn't be on that list. At least not for me. There are also many good reloading manuals, and almost all of them have instruction in the front of the book which will get you started. I would suggest getting several and reading them thoroughly before buying any equipment.

This has gotten longer than I intended, so I'll cut it off now.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Buy the service. The Subcompact is almost the same size as the service, just the grip was cut down a bit and the barrel is shorter on the SC. I think that the service will carry and conceal at least as easily and has the added advantage of being able to use Don's Rod (next best thing to sliced bread). You get more accuracy, higher capacity and a nice full size grip at a lower cost (SC costs more in my area). I have shot all the variants of the XD except the custom high end line guns. In the end I own a XD-9 Service and a XD-9 Tactical. Smaller is not really better. Enough said.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
poortrader said:
It all depends what your purpose of having the gun. If you want to target gun, get the 4". If you want a conceal, get the 3". Color is just you're personal preference.
Actually, if you want a target gun, get the Tactical model. The 5" barrel and longer sight radius gives much better accuracy. I know I love my Tactical.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
ReloaderFred said:
Lynx,

I'm an old fart, who has been loading for 44 years, and at last count, had loaded well over 500,000 rounds of various calibers. I take great pride in my reloads, as I do in anything I do, including my shooting.

There are some people who shouldn't reload, and there are some who should. The one's who shouldn't are the same one's who bleed everytime they pick up a screwdriver, or any other tool.

When reloading ammunition, there can be no distractions, such as television, ernest conversation, etc. And absolutely no alcoholic consumption during, or prior to, working at the loading bench. It's something you want to totally concentrate on what you're doing in each step of the process.

With that said, it's a very enjoyable hobby. I prefer not to watch the current drivel on television, so I reload ammunition. Lot's of ammunition, in 26 different calibers, at last count. There is great satisfaction in turning out a product that I can be proud of.

As to your question of malfunctions, no, I don't get any malfunctions, once I've worked up the load I'm going to use in each firearm. Each load is tailored for the firearm it's going to be shot in. That's part of the enjoyment of reloading, tailoring your loads.

Some will tell you that reloading is cheaper, which in simple terms of round to round comparison with factory ammunition, it is. But, and that's a big but, you find that you're always looking for good deals on components and for more brass to reload, so you really end of spending more money than you intended, but for the dollars spent, you will have a mountain of quality ammunition you reloaded, instead of a mole hill of factory fodder that is generic to all guns of that caliber.

On occasion, I find that I enjoy the reloading even more than the shooting, but then that's just me. If you ever consider taking up reloading, the NRA has a basic Reloading course that is pretty good. You can also have a veteran reloader mentor you, if that reloader is a dependable sort of person that you feel you can trust. A friend's drinking buddy wouldn't be on that list. At least not for me. There are also many good reloading manuals, and almost all of them have instruction in the front of the book which will get you started. I would suggest getting several and reading them thoroughly before buying any equipment.

This has gotten longer than I intended, so I'll cut it off now.

Hope this helps.

Fred
+1 on the no distractions and other safety tips on reloading. I was taught reloading by a former Air Force ordnance officer with 45 years of experience and he could not stress that part enough. Stay safe and pay attention to what you are doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dons rod? i'm sure i could search and find it.. but i'm on my way out the door for a wedding. but i thank you all. this seems to be a very friendly board and disagreements are handled with minimal flaming..i appreciate that especially b/c people tend to forget that they too started out as a newb in something... its refreshing to see that people here realize that.

anyway, i believe i'll get the service model for now. hopefully i dont get too addicted and spend all my money.

and as far as reloading goes, i had a friend who loaded his stuff and spent some time around the equipment but that will be much further down the road until/if i get into that. Luckily, i am a handy guy so i can safely say that i dont impale myself with screwdrivers.

thanks a lot. good insight from people who have been around these guns

lynx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and what do you think btw the 9 and 40, is it just a matter of pref?

i noticed manygunner has 2 9's... just curious as to opinions on the pros and cons.

i figured the 40 was a best of both worlds for stopping power and range, but i doubt that anyone who had a couple 9mm in them would be going anywhere either.

lynx

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I bought the .40 service first in OD. After I found a good deal on a 9mm service in all black....my .40 stays locked up most of the time now.
I like the all black since it's more"tactical" looking.....and now carry the 9mm more often.
I am able to afford more ammuntion, thus can practice alot more. I shoot my 9 at least twice as much....and have been able to get very nice groups.
I can get good groups outta my .40 too, but have to save up for buyin the ammo.
I'm noticin the more I practice with my 9.....I'm gettin better with my .40
Not sure why just happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i take it the 9mm ammo is a good deal cheaper. i tried to research the price differential a little bit on a few sites...

what is a good range load for the 9 and 40..?

that is something to think about if the 9 is way cheaper ammunition.

hmm

lynx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Definitely get the service model. and instead of then getting the subcompact spend that money on quality leather and lots of ammo and train, train, train.

Subcompact guns have a place but it's not as a primary defensive handgun. they are better suited as a last ditch back up weapon. the service model will be easier to shoot accurately and quickly. in a lethal encounter which weapon do you want to be relying on? the one you can shoot most accurately or the one that is a little more difficult? the first thing that will happen to you if you are under attack is adreniline flooding your system preparing your body to "fight or Flight" the consequence of this is your larger muscles become "supercharged" the catch is this causes you smaller muscles which allow fine motor control to be overwhelmed which makes you clumsy. not the time to be dealing with the more difficult grip of a subcompact.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good point. i will be getting the service model. . . then later on down the road if the means and desire present themselves i will grab a SC as well.

as far as the caliber. . . is the 9mm ammo a great deal cheaper? keep in mind that i will not be shooting this as much as most people in here, i will shoot prolly a 3-6 times a month. so will the cost burden be very high with the .40??

thanks for the help

lynx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts