Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to take a patrol rifle class for my police department. I will be using my AR, but don't have an optic. I have magpul flip up sights but would like a red dot or something else that will give me quick acquisition on target. Would also like the mount for it. I have a flat top upper. Any help would be appreciated. As far as price I couldn't begin to really set a price. I need something dependable.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have an EOTech and really like it. I would, however, like to try an Aimpoint to see if I like it better. You're starting around $400 on those two, I think I saw a rebate going for one right now.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm kind of leaning towards. I know they are reliable just not sure which or if there is something out there cheaper that is still reliable. I don't want to buy cheap unless it will hold up. I rather buy once cry once if that's what has to be done

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just bought a Vortex SPARC II and put it on my duty rifle (Stag 3T-M). I've only sighted it in and have yet to abuse it much, but the company's reputation for standing behind their unlimited lifetime and completely transferable warranty gives me faith that this little guy is gonna be tough as nails. I wanted to try and stay as light as possible with my rifle, and I think I accomplished that coming it at just under 8.5 lbs unloaded with all my required accessories.

I tried getting a good photo of the dot, but all I have is this iPad and it's impossible to get good focus while still being able to take the picture...lol.

For only $200 on Amazon (which includes three different height mounts which can all be used in conjunction with each other, giving you a bunch of different mounting height options), I figured it was a pretty good deal. So far I love it. The dot is nice and crisp at 2MOA, very little washout, and the brightness is adjustable across a nice range. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and if you are and it breaks you can rest assured you can send it in, get it back fully repaired/replaced, and sell it with only a minor monetary loss and buy yourself an Aimpoint. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get the best you can. This is a work weapon and lives may depend on your red dot holding zero after 6 months of being banged around in a squad car not to mention that you will forget to turn it off....Aimpoints can be left on for 5 years, will hold zero after being run over, and are as tough as they come..You must be 100 percent confident in your gear and 200.00 vortex sparcs and blah blah blah weekend warrior target shooting red dots are not fit for professional service....Eotechs are also acceptable for proffessional service.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
+1 on the aimpoint

Tough and long battery life will make life easier and safer.

I think mepro lite has some nice optics for law enforcement too they have a Truglo TFO type optic that seems pretty cool.

But they arent cheap. They are the inbetween from eotech/aimpoint and trijicon's ACOG

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a Vortex SPARC II and put it on my duty rifle (Stag 3T-M). I've only sighted it in and have yet to abuse it much, but the company's reputation for standing behind their unlimited lifetime and completely transferable warranty gives me faith that this little guy is gonna be tough as nails. I wanted to try and stay as light as possible with my rifle, and I think I accomplished that coming it at just under 8.5 lbs unloaded with all my required accessories.

I tried getting a good photo of the dot, but all I have is this iPad and it's impossible to get good focus while still being able to take the picture...lol.

For only $200 on Amazon (which includes three different height mounts which can all be used in conjunction with each other, giving you a bunch of different mounting height options), I figured it was a pretty good deal. So far I love it. The dot is nice and crisp at 2MOA, very little washout, and the brightness is adjustable across a nice range. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and if you are and it breaks you can rest assured you can send it in, get it back fully repaired/replaced, and sell it with only a minor monetary loss and buy yourself an Aimpoint. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like that. Going to look in to them.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the best you can.this is a work weapon and lives mey depend on your red dot holding zero after 6 months of being banged around in a squad car not to mention that you will forget to turn it off....aimpoints can beleft on for 5 years, will hold zero after being run over and are as tough as they come..you must be 100 percent confident in your gear and 200.00 vortek sparcs and blah blah blah weekend warrior targetshooting red dots are not fit for professional service....eotech are also acceptable for proffessional service.
I agree that you need something dependable but a Bushnell could be acceptable. Yeah you want something that can be trust worthy but if it doesn't get banged around and it holds zero..... anything can work just depends on how you treat it. I would love to by a high end red dot but I couldn't afford it. I'm working on figuring out my budget so we shall see in the near future what I am going to get.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have a TRS on my M&P 15-22 and I can ding a 8 inch plate at 100 yards all day with it. Here's a Primary Arms Micro on my AR, it's about even with the TRS from my experience. Come to think of it I have an extra PA Micro collecting dust now that I have my EOTech.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree that you need something dependable but a Bushnell could be acceptable. Yeah you want something that can be trust worthy but if it doesn't get banged around and it holds zero..... anything can work just depends on how you treat it. I would love to by a high end red dot but I couldn't afford it. I'm working on figuring out my budget so we shall see in the near future what I am going to get.
No its really not "acceptable". Its fine for hobby/recreational shooting but these are not designed for law enforcement/military use. Run your irons for your patrol rifle course, you'll get a lot more out of doing that anyway. Save up until you can afford something better. There are plenty of places that offer law enforcement discounts to officers. I'm sure 100 people will pat you on the back here and tell you that my blah blah blah is just as good as an aimpoint and it that's what your looking for then great. I digress, good luck...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
No its really not "acceptable". Its fine for hobby/recreational shooting but these are not designed for law enforcement/military use. Run your irons for your patrol rifle course, you'll get a lot more out of doing that anyway. Save up until you can afford something better. There are plenty of places that offer law enforcement discounts to officers. I'm sure 100 people will pat you on the back here and tell you that my blah blah blah is just as good as an aimpoint and it that's what your looking for then great. I digress, good luck...
Just because an optic is priced lower than an Aimpoint doesn't mean it's "not fit for professional service." There are plenty of torture test videos that abuse these bargain brand (not to be read "cheap") optics that prove reliability in tougher circumstances than any use his optic is likely to see. If le_butters isn't on a metro SWAT team and beating his rifle off the pavement every other day, the SPARC will do just fine on his long gun, and he'll get all the same features. He's not kicking down doors in Fallujah and rappelling down cliff faces. The most abuse his optic will likely see is sliding around in the squad trunk inside a rifle case, just like mine. Long guns for the patrol officer are there as an added measure of security. It is a go-to weapon if you are outmanned and outgunned.

He's not gonna be dropping it out of a helicopter like the Aimpoint torture tests.

I'm willing to bet that someone has bought into brand marketing a wee bit too heavily..."Acceptable" is in the eye of the buyer. Unlimited Lifetime Warranty and rave reviews across the board made me buy the Vortex. If that hurts your pride because you had to sell your first-born child to afford an Aimpoint, then sorry you had to read this...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just because an optic is priced lower than an Aimpoint doesn't mean it's "not fit for professional service." There are plenty of torture test videos that abuse these bargain brand (not to be read "cheap") optics that prove reliability in tougher circumstances than any use his optic is likely to see. If le_butters isn't on a metro SWAT team and beating his rifle off the pavement every other day, the SPARC will do just fine on his long gun, and he'll get all the same features. He's not kicking down doors in Fallujah and rappelling down cliff faces. The most abuse his optic will likely see is sliding around in the squad trunk inside a rifle case, just like mine. Long guns for the patrol officer are there as an added measure of security. It is a go-to weapon if you are outmanned and outgunned.

He's not gonna be dropping it out of a helicopter like the Aimpoint torture tests.

I'm willing to bet that someone has bought into brand marketing a wee bit too heavily..."Acceptable" is in the eye of the buyer. Unlimited Lifetime Warranty and rave reviews across the board made me buy the Vortex. If that hurts your pride because you had to sell your first-born child to afford an Aimpoint, then sorry you had to read this...
I'm not gonna get into an internet squabble. Butters can strap a paper towel role to the top of his rifle if it makes him happy...He asked for opinions I gave mine which I can back with facts. You gave your opinion based on a" lifetime warranty and rave reviews" and your entitled to it. You exist in a world where "just fine" is acceptable for you, that is your perogative. I prefer any advantage I can get. I'll skimp elsewhere, not with the tools used to protect my life.....

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm not gonna get into an internet squabble. Butters can strap a paper towel role to the top of his rifle if it makes him happy...He asked for opinions I gave mine which I can back with facts. You gave your opinion based on a" lifetime warranty and rave reviews" and your entitled to it. You exist in a world where "just fine" is acceptable for you, that is your perogative. I prefer any advantage I can get. I'll skimp elsewhere, not with the tools used to protect my life.....
You already got yourself into an internet squabble by telling butters that if he chose anything less than top of the line it would not be acceptable.
Facts? Looking forward to hearing them sir.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I may want the most top of the line equipment, reality does not allow that. I would love the aimpoint or eotech, but price doesn't allow me to get them at this juncture. My rifle will be in the front seat next to me so it's not even sliding in the trunk. It's in a padded case not even moving around. I do appreciate the advice apathia but I not a fan of buy the very best because everything else is ****. Some things that claim to be the best is just a name and the product truly lacks quality. When a company gets good feedback from the public and they have a lifetime warranty then you know they back their products.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts