Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but have lurked around a bit. I was hoping you guys can help me with upgrading my XD40 without telling me to go buy a Glock or Smith/Wesson.

I just completed the Rockcastle/AR15.com 3 Gun, and it was very fun; my XD40 (4" service) ran smoothly for the most part. However, I did notice some deficiencies w/ the XD40.

Problem 1 was the trigger, there is just too much creep, and the pull weight feels too stiff for competition use. Everytime I got into a rush, I would end up jerking the trigger and cause a flier.

I am thinking of getting these 2 parts from Brownells to fix up my trigger issue:

Powder River Precision Trigger kit
& Springer Precision Reduced Travel Sear

I'm hoping that these two parts will solve my trigger woes:
Does anyone have experience with these, and are they helpful?
Is the Springer Preicision trigger kit better than the Powder River Precision kit?
How tough is it to install these parts? (I've built ARs, but never pistols)

Problem 2 was ammo capacity, holding only 12 rounds per mag was a problem. I'm thinking of getting Arredondo mag extensions for my standard mags; do they work well? Or is there something better that might reliably get me to 16+ round capacity?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I don't think you can mix and match parts from PRP and Springer Precision. Probably just need to pick one and go with it. There are tons of threads on here about which is best and still boils down to pick one and try it. I've had great luck with the PRP Ultimate Kit in my XDm40 but think that the Springer would have made me happy as well.

I use the Canyon Creek 140mm mag extension and have had great luck with them as well; 21+1 works great in USPSA Limited. I believe PistolGear has some extensions as well. Good luck in tricking it out.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Just do not go out and buy a Glock............:)

Some practice with your XD would not hurt. AMMO!

I am sure you can improve the trigger, it will never be a 1911 though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't have experience with Springer, but I hear they do good work.
I *do* have the PRP parts in my XDm (all except for the sear, which PRP advised against due to how much it would lighten the trigger pull on a carry piece), and it is AMAZING.
+1 to not mix-matching the two kits, maybe ask around on the board if anyone is in your area with the kits on their pieces. I'm sure one of us good folk would meet you at a range in exchange for a box of shells :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome Nighthawk... I responded to your post over on arfcom... I think you'll find folks a little more willing to give you better answers than "dump that XD and get a Glock" here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help guys.

I ended up getting the Springer kit. Hope it'll make the trigger a bit less jerk-prone.

Any advice on the fitting process? [or links if this has been discussed to death, my search skills here still a bit lacking...]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts