Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my dad called me today and "commissioned" me to pick out a gun for him. Definitely has to be 9mm, DA/SA w/ manual safety, polymer OR a very light alloy gun... The rest has been left to me. I have a few ideas but figured extra input and voices of reason are always good. O, price range is preferably under 550ish, a little higher is fine for suggestions but not something like a USP that is several hundred over. Gun can be full sized down to a something you can at least can get a full grip on with medium-sized hands.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If DA/SA is a must - get a Sig. If manual safety plus DA/SA then get a S&W. Glock doesn't have an external safety and isn't DA/SA. Springfield makes the great XD which I'll take any day. It can be had with an external safety. Not with DA/SA.

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Don't yell at me. What is DA/SA?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
no worries, Dual action / Single action.
Double action/single action..
DA pull is heavier than the SA pull.

The first trigger pull is double action, pull trigger, hammer drops back, hammer goes forward, and hits firing pin.
After initial shot, single action, hammer is cocked back (from slide racking from first shot), lighter trigger pull, because hammer is already cocked back.

Most DA/SA pistols have a decocker that allows the hammer to go down safely if a SA shot isn't needed and returns the gun to DA.

Found on Sigs, H&K, CZ, Beretta, many other pistols..........

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My suggestion, look at a Stoeger Cougar. Same exact pistol as the Beretta Cougar, but much cheaper. Beretta bought Stoeger so there you go. MSRP runs at $469, but I've seen it in local shops NIB for $350. It has all the features you requested, Beretta quality, and a sweet price!!! Good luck.

Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Hey guys, my dad called me today and "commissioned" me to pick out a gun for him. Definitely has to be 9mm, DA/SA w/ manual safety, polymer OR a very light alloy gun... The rest has been left to me. I have a few ideas but figured extra input and voices of reason are always good. O, price range is preferably under 550ish, a little higher is fine for suggestions but not something like a USP that is several hundred over. Gun can be full sized down to a something you can at least can get a full grip on with medium-sized hands.
Look into Bersa's, I have a 45 Ultra Compact and like it a lot.
I would go with a used Sig P series. For something like $125 Sig will go over it and weed out any serious trouble spots and install Mepro night sights as well.
Here for example is a Sig P225/P6 for $269.00. There is no manual safety but I don't think you need one with this type of gun as the DA pull is long and requires just the right amount of effort:
AIM Sig Sauer P225/P6 9mm Pistol Sig Sauer P225/P6 9mm Pistol

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For something like $125 Sig will go over it and weed out any serious trouble spots and install Mepro night sights as well.
Wow!!!! That's really cool I didn't know they'd do that!!!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
get a CPO (certified pre owned sig) you can get many of the CPO sigs in the $550 range you want from buds. i just checked but for some reason their site must be screwed, it only shows 2 sigs i dont get it ususlly they have about 7 pages of sigs, i should know i oogle then enough :p

put CPO in the search got this

Guns for Sale

hopefully the search parameters show up, not in stock but gives you the idea of what CPO units you can get for your price

something must be wrong i hope they are not going out of business, they usually have TONS of sigs in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Why must it have a manual safety???

Drop that idea and get a Sig P226... There is no better DA/SA 9mm on the market.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
without safety.. definitely a sig either the P6, or the P239 red box (CPO as discussed already).
with a safety.. Baby Eagle 9mm. excellent gun, good balance, a real tack driver, has a decocker/safety as well. but its got one stiff DA pull on it.
Bersa makes a 9mm as well, the Thunder 9 iirc.

cheers

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Beretta 92FS Police Special package (the pistol + 3 mags for around 480 bucks) is what I would whole heartedly recommend.

If his hands are too small to handle the 92, CDNN sells 5906s for under 300 bucks in very good to excellent condition, I'd recommend that as your #2 option. Those guns are criminally underrated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Spot on. Check out Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. he has a lot of new and used guns in this price range. He also has more than a few SIG 229R DAK's for a very reasonable price.
+1

I've bought a couple of guns from Mark (owner of Summit) and have high regard for him. Most of what he's got now are .40 but he's got a lot of stuff that's not on his web site so if you want 9mm, call him and he might have something for you. On the web site he's got a Beretta 92FS listed at $369 that might be something the OP is looking for.

I bought one of the 229R DAK in .40SW recently. Very, very nice and pretty near impossible to beat the price at $485 (w/ Trijicons no less). It's not CPO but arrived looking like it had hardly been used. I've never really cared for DA/SA Sigs--DA pull always seemed too heavy for me--but have always admired the craftsmanship, reliability and accuracy. DAK trigger is Sig's answer to striker fired pistols like Glock & SA; it feels less heavy than a standard DA/SA trigger and I like it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
+1

I bought one of the 229R DAK in .40SW recently. Very, very nice and pretty near impossible to beat the price at $485 (w/ Trijicons no less). It's not CPO but arrived looking like it had hardly been used. I've never really cared for DA/SA Sigs--DA pull always seemed too heavy for me--but have always admired the craftsmanship, reliability and accuracy. DAK trigger is Sig's answer to striker fired pistols like Glock & SA; it feels less heavy than a standard DA/SA trigger and I like it.
I also recuntly purchased a 229 DAK but mine is the SAS version and after a mental adjustment to the trigger I love it. I've carried a 92D centurian as a duty pistol for the last 5 years so there was a slight honeymoon period where I was re adjusting my operator headspace.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
+1 on the CPO Sigs.
I bought a P239 CPO and it looks brand new..
Paid $470 + tax for it.
But I did sell it and ordered a P239 SAS because I like my P229 DAK trigger so much.

+1 on the DAK trigger.
I bought a P229 SAS Gen II with a DAK and I love it.
I'd rather not say what I spent on it..:oops:
Notice the P239, above, has a decocker lever and the P229 does not.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i used to have a ruger p95 9mm that was da/sa and had a manual safety it was a great gun never had any problems after many thousand round never had one fte/ftf

1 - 20 of 34 Posts