Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work gave me some .45ACP reloads to try out in my FNP-45. He's been reloading for about 30yrs, mainly always .45ACP, 44magnum, .454 cassul,etc etc. I know him fairly well so it's not like I don't trust him. However when given reloads, I like to know what the OAL should be, in addition to other mentioned specs. He told me they came out of a speer reloading manual. He's kind of the person who doesn't like being doubted, so I figured I'd ask online to double check these reloads before I fire them in my gun.

Data he gave me
Load 1:
200gr SWC. 5gr Bullseye-- 800FPS~

Load 2:

260gr Jacketed Soft Point (Speer). 6.9gr Herco-- 847FPS~

I'm mainly concerned about the 260gr load.He said it was in the speer manual.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Load 1:
200gr SWC. 5gr Bullseye-- 800FPS~

Load 2:

260gr Jacketed Soft Point (Speer). 6.9gr Herco-- 847FPS~

both seem to be hot loads 1.0gr over max lenght on the 200 minoal 1.190 on the 260 minoal is 1.210

as my book say 4.0 and 5.9 as the not too exceed mark "modern reloading 2nd edition"

and a side note I was not able to find Speer in 260 for 45acp only 45 colt you may want to double check there site but I wasn't able to find it on there.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he said it came from #13 manual, for the 260gr loading. I've seen it mentioned a few times on various forums when I looked it up. 1.190 is what I have averaging (+-. 005) on the 200gr. The Same goes for the 260gr at 1.210, except for one that I measured out at 1.190. I don't think I'll shoot that one.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I think he said it came from #13 manual, for the 260gr loading. I've seen it mentioned a few times on various forums when I looked it up. 1.190 is what I have averaging (+-. 005) on the 200gr. The Same goes for the 260gr at 1.210, except for one that I measured out at 1.190. I don't think I'll shoot that one.
First: I NEVER SHOOT OTHERS RELOADS, NEVER!
Yes, there is data in the #11 Speer manual for a 260gr bullet, & shows 6.9gr of Herco is max w/ no OAL (they didn't pot them back then). The OAL given are quite short, this raises pressures, sometimes a lot. Shoot at your own risk, but you know my stand of others reloads.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel about the same way. Like I said I don't doubt the guys ability or not that I don't trust him, I'm just leary of shooting something from a small time reloader

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it...it's a heavy bullet and Herco is listed as being used primarily for magnum loads and high velocity. Lymans (I don't have a Speer manual) doesn't have any data on Herco for 45 ACP so I wouldn't go there...I'm new to reloading so I'm not an expert, but it sounds too hot.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 260gr is what he shoots of out his 1911. He mainly has the 260gr bullets from his .454. I'll be setting them back. If the 200gr seem too much, I'll just pull them down, and say I shot them :)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it...it's a heavy bullet and Herco is listed as being used primarily for magnum loads and high velocity. Lymans (I don't have a Speer manual) doesn't have any data on Herco for 45 ACP so I wouldn't go there...I'm new to reloading so I'm not an expert, but it sounds too hot.
Not really. The point of a slower powder is lower pressures, regardless of caliber. GOing to a hevier than normal bullet wt, a slower powder gives you a margin of safety. Many reloaders have used slower powders than Herco in the 45acp, it's just I never trust any reloader to have put the rounds together as well as I can. Especially if he is stating the load is pushing max or over, you just have no idea. I don't shoot other reloads, unless the guy wants to sign off on my gun & doctors bill if they cause me damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Buffman - As for your friend's .45 reloads, just file this under 'For what it's worth'. I think you have realized by now that the time for that little white lie has come. I would just tell him thanks and then pull them apart. I realize that this doesn't mean squat, so don't get me wrong, but I made my first reloads in about 1947 and one wouldn't believe all of the imprudent reloading things that I have done - I don't know how many times that I have reached around a tree to fire a round (years ago). But I can say this, I had only one firearm to blow all to heck. In 1947 there just wasn't a whole lot of reloading info available - I had to write my own 'note book'. In my opinion, the fellow that said, "Never fire someone elses reloads," should be chiseled in your 'Stone note book'. Sure it may be nice to shoot your buddies reloads in his firearm at the range but it would come to my mind how easy it is to get 10 grains of Bullseye in a case instead of 5. I can only assume that you and your friend are relatively new to reloading - but that is okay...just get in there and shoot-m-up. Shooting builds charactor, but wow...there are so many ways to do it unsafely. I have a Colt 1911 but I don't think that I have had to fire it around a tree.
One thing I can't figure out is that I see that you may have posted 1,273 posts in this forum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I already learned a hard lesson in shooting someones reloads lol a cracked frame was the leson and thank gawd I had eye protection on or else I may of been typing in Brale or brail not sure if either are coreect I would do like mentioned above and pull them apart but per my book both are over loaded by 1 grain. again I don't have the Speer manual but I trust more of what these writters put in the books than someone I may or may not know alot of and trust my life with them it was a Mistake on my part trusting a reload from someone else and a Mistake that will never happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I shot both of them. Except for the one 260gr that was .01" shorter. I threw the 200gr SWCs in there, and squeezed the trigger. The recoil was slow, and felt almost less than 9mm. I've shot some pretty hot stuff before, and these were far from it. I threw the 260gr's in there and recoil was barely more than than standard 230gr FMJs. No Huge muzzle flash, etc.

I believe just like some of the tall stories this guy tells, he may have talked up these loads, to something way more than they actually were.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well I shot both of them. Except for the one 260gr that was .01" shorter. I threw the 200gr SWCs in there, and squeezed the trigger. The recoil was slow, and felt almost less than 9mm. I've shot some pretty hot stuff before, and these were far from it. I threw the 260gr's in there and recoil was barely more than than standard 230gr FMJs. No Huge muzzle flash, etc.

I believe just like some of the tall stories this guy tells, he may have talked up these loads, to something way more than they actually were.
I don;t care if they are supposed to be bunnyfart loads, you have no idea how they were assembled, what actual powder went into them etc. I know more than one guy tht has blown up a gun using the wrong data for a given powder. It's why I won't shoot other reloads, especially in my guns. WIth eye protection & a gloved hand & their gun, sure, but that's about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts