Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model 70 .300 win mag and I need some opinions on what to do with it. It is around 40 years old so it has seen some use but everything is in working order and I can still get less than 1.5 moa consistantly. The barrel is really starting to show some wear in the blueing and I'm looking at some otptions on what to do. I would like to refinish the barrel somehow with more of weatherproof finish similar to what is on the Hunter A-bolt(matte black). Or I could break down and take it to a gunsmith and have a new barrel fitted with the exact finish that I choose.

Obviously option 1 is the cheapest but not the easiest and is the way I would like to go but I am open to any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have a model 70 .300 win mag and I need some opinions on what to do with it. It is around 40 years old so it has seen some use but everything is in working order and I can still get less than 1.5 moa consistantly. The barrel is really starting to show some wear in the blueing and I'm looking at some otptions on what to do. I would like to refinish the barrel somehow with more of weatherproof finish similar to what is on the Hunter A-bolt(matte black). Or I could break down and take it to a gunsmith and have a new barrel fitted with the exact finish that I choose.

Obviously option 1 is the cheapest but not the easiest and is the way I would like to go but I am open to any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks
If you are getting 1.5 moa out of a 40 year old .300 mag I would guess the rifle hasn't been fired that much. These rounds are fairly hard on bores. IMO I think I would have my gunsmith do a thorough check of the bore and chamber and if everything was in tolerance (which it seems to be) do the refinish.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
If you are getting 1.5 moa out of a 40 year old .300 mag I would guess the rifle hasn't been fired that much. These rounds are fairly hard on bores. IMO I think I would have my gunsmith do a thorough check of the bore and chamber and if everything was in tolerance (which it seems to be) do the refinish.
+1. Sounds like a nice rifle. Would be a shame to put a new barrel on it if the original's still shootin well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the F-class is a good idea but that will be a little hard to carry around the woods.

I was thinking that the refinish would be the way to go but what finish would you recomend?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
the F-class is a good idea but that will be a little hard to carry around the woods.

I was thinking that the refinish would be the way to go but what finish would you recomend?
A lot of old-scool guys like Linseed oil but I like a good Marine or outdoor polyurethane. That is what I used on my muzzle loader kit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Go with a thermal cured finish...if you are a handy guy DIY KG Gunkote and Norrell's Moly Resin are very durable. You could go ceracoat as well.

If you don't have a large enough oven to do the barrel action, I'd suggest paying a professional to refinish. It's not cheap, but you get a very durable finish that will last for years.​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts