Springfield XD Forum banner

Need some info on my AK

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Spooled 
#1 ·
Hey all, been meaning to ask you guys if you could give me some information and value of my AK-47. I traded some guy a nice bike for it back in the day, he gave me another $300 in cash as well. Anyway, I've had it forever and I didn't think it had much value but a friend of mine said some of the Chinese weapons had good value. Please let me know any information you may have. Much appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What you have is a pre 89 import Polytech....easily 1000-1500+ dollar AK to a collector. These were banned from importation after 89 and more then likely will never be imported ever again. It's the closest thing you'll true Russian AK, it was built on the same line as rifles being put in the hands of Chinese soldiers. I collect Chicom AKs and the pre 89 poly's are my holy grail of AKs. Do yourself a favor and don't go changing a darn thing on that AK, keep it exactly how it is now and it will only increase in value.

You have the best of the best my friend....enjoy it.

#6 ·
1.5mm receiver and yes...I would argue the Chinese made a better AK then the Russians....and would be willing to have a friendly debate over many hours and beverages...I've done it before :)

I wish you lived closer....I'd offer some hard to pass up trades if you were willing to part with your Poly.

#8 ·
Thank you so much for all the info. I've done some research but could never really tell if it was the real deal. Cooks128, you made my day, I am not married to it but, I do love it. Maine is a nice place to visit in the summer;)

I will never touch a thing on it... other than the trigger :) . Oh, speaking of that... I do like to shoot this weapon, I bring it out a hand full of times a year, should I be concerned about putting rounds through it (may be a stupid question)?

One more question... Does anyone have info on tightening the front grip... the two wooden pieces are loose due to wood shrinkage... They tighten up when it's humid, but not solidly.

:0 :) I kind of have that feeling like people get on antiques road show when they find out that they have something amazing.

#10 ·
Thank you so much for all the info. I've done some research but could never really tell if it was the real deal. Cooks128, you made my day, I am not married to it but, I do love it. Maine is a nice place to visit in the summer;)

I will never touch a thing on it... other than the trigger :) . Oh, speaking of that... I do like to shoot this weapon, I bring it out a hand full of times a year, should I be concerned about putting rounds through it (may be a stupid question)?

One more question... Does anyone have info on tightening the front grip... the two wooden pieces are loose due to wood shrinkage... They tighten up when it's humid, but not solidly.

:0 :) I kind of have that feeling like people get on antiques road show when they find out that they have something amazing.
Glad I was able to help...As a matter of fact I love Maine...spent a few weeks around Sunday River ski resort one summer close to 20 years ago. If you ever decide about parting with the Polytech PM me and maybe we can work out a trade via FFL transfers.

It's a fired weapon and continued rounds down range will not effect value as long as your take care of the rifle. Enjoy it and shoot it. As far as the wood goes, it's common for furniture to loosen up....you could always shim it but really I'd recommend just leaving it as.

#12 ·
Thanks again. Maine is one of the best states in the union. Sunday river area is really nice, but its just the tip of the iceburg. If you like to fish and hunt, the state has much more to offer. I've been fly fishing on streams that take your breath away for hours. Plus there are the hidden gems that aren't available until you know someone who can bring you there. I will keep you in mind if I ever want to get rid of the weapon. much apreciation, and much respect.
Cheers,
Conor

#13 ·
Hey XD.45, That is an amazing weapon to offer. Thank you. All this discussion has made me think really hard about why I decided to trade my (at the time) prize possession for this weapon. I remember putting my bike up for sale in Uncle Henry's (a local buy/sell/trade publication) because I was heading to college. I needed the cash and I thought my bike would just be stolen anyways. I was asking around $950 for the bike (I was probably 19 at the time, 32 now). So this guy calls me and asks if I would take his AK-47 and $200 as trade purchase. I was interested and met the guy... mind you, there was no Google or XDTalk at the time to ask questions but, I was interested. I brought the bike and he brought the gun... (man... if I wasn't in Maine, I would never have done this... :) )
Once I saw the weapon, I fell in love with it... Something about the simplicity of the weapon drew me to say yes... I actually talked him up from the gun+$200 to the gun+$300.. I'm sure the bike is now in a junk yard or in someones garage rusting away.

So, the point is, I love the simplicity that this gun has... I couldn't put my finger on it until now, but apparently a lot of people like this as well. I would like to see Pics of the AK you are offering but I don't understand why people are putting so many accessories on these weapons... They are simple, it's like making a Monk look like Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (or what ever the pop culture you were into). Leave the upgrades to the AR's...

Granted it is Memorial day Weekend and I've had a few beverages but I just wanted to reminisce... I like the gun... I don't know what I would trade for but it would probably be.... I don't know...

I digress,

Cheers to those who have lost their lives so that I can live mine the way I want to. I will hold you in my heart with honor and respect. Thank you.

#14 ·
I'll trade ya my Fuller built Rommy G with 6 mags and a 75 round drum for it. This is a big money build with extras.
How much is 'big money' ?? Unless its an SBR, its a $400 weapon.....tops, its still a US receiver'd Romanian AK....nothing remotely special or collectible about it.

#15 ·
Hey XD.45, That is an amazing weapon to offer. Thank you. All this discussion has made me think really hard about why I decided to trade my (at the time) prize possession for this weapon. I remember putting my bike up for sale in Uncle Henry's (a local buy/sell/trade publication) because I was heading to college. I needed the cash and I thought my bike would just be stolen anyways. I was asking around $950 for the bike (I was probably 19 at the time, 32 now). So this guy calls me and asks if I would take his AK-47 and $200 as trade purchase. I was interested and met the guy... mind you, there was no Google or XDTalk at the time to ask questions but, I was interested. I brought the bike and he brought the gun... (man... if I wasn't in Maine, I would never have done this... :) )
Once I saw the weapon, I fell in love with it... Something about the simplicity of the weapon drew me to say yes... I actually talked him up from the gun+$200 to the gun+$300.. I'm sure the bike is now in a junk yard or in someones garage rusting away.

So, the point is, I love the simplicity that this gun has... I couldn't put my finger on it until now, but apparently a lot of people like this as well. I would like to see Pics of the AK you are offering but I don't understand why people are putting so many accessories on these weapons... They are simple, it's like making a Monk look like Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (or what ever the pop culture you were into). Leave the upgrades to the AR's...

Granted it is Memorial day Weekend and I've had a few beverages but I just wanted to reminisce... I like the gun... I don't know what I would trade for but it would probably be.... I don't know...

I digress,

Cheers to those who have lost their lives so that I can live mine the way I want to. I will hold you in my heart with honor and respect. Thank you.
The only reason Id even consider the trade is cause I have a matching Chinese SKS (bayonett style). I paid about $900 for this perfect shaped pretty much new Jim Fuller built AK (Fullerized) and the past owner had more than $500 past that in it before he sold it to me. ($1400 total) let the peanut gallery pick appart the trade.

#16 ·
How much is 'big money' ?? Unless its an SBR, its a $400 weapon.....tops, its still a US receiver'd Romanian AK....nothing remotely special or collectible about it.
You get what you pay for in a Fuller build. Look up the cost einheit. Some say his builds are the best period. And his waiting list proves it! $400 get the Fxxx out of here! You know not what you post. Btw mine is in new condition with many usable upgrades.

#17 ·
You get what you pay for in a Fuller build. Look up the cost einheit. Some say his builds are the best period. And his waiting list proves it! $400 get the Fxxx out of here! You know not what you post. Btw mine is in new condition with many usable upgrades.
Well, actually I do and I can tell you right now that he is pricey. His web page shows that. A starting build for $400.....Hmmm I know a 'smith that gives you the moly resin coating, adds the correct selector marks and detentes, and hides his builder info for $50 less than his basic build. Fuller is a good smith, but he is into modifications/custom work and his prices reflect that. He is no different than Red Jacket and I have yet to see him mentioned in any historical/restoration publications or see any of his work on display. I am not taking anything away from his ability or skills at all. At the end of the day, when the dust has settled, you still have Romanian Garda rifle....unless its plated in gold, its still a $400 weapon-even if Mikhail built it himself. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.......
I have a 1950 Russian AK-47 built on a receiver with all Russian marks. No English anywhere. If it wasn't for the simple fact that I have a receipt and paperwork stating who it ways assembled by, it will pass as a true Russian from that period. The kit alone is worth more than your weapon. And I know this because I have a 1951 kit that I just sold. I eat, sleep, and breath AK...Soviet weapons in general...and am quite positive I know more about their worth than you ever will. I'm not trying to be a prick, but I have sat and watched AKs go the way of ARs and many of you are getting ripped because of false hype. Arsenal has been doing it years, and now Izhmash is too with their Legion (SGL) line of weapons. Many builders are on board with it too because the uninformed fork out the cash. You should really look into the profit margins in this segment...its almost 100% for some builders that give you average quality. If you are happy with it, great, but don't try to impress those with things you not of...

What upgrades did you get?? Did you get that old trick of widening the notch on the leaf sight?? Did you get the small AR front pin?? Recrown the barrel?? Polished feed ramp?? 4lb trigger?? Adjustable gas system?? 22mm fsb with brake?? AiM74 carrier?? Rebounding firing pin?? New 'progressive' recoil springs??

#18 ·
Well, actually I do and I can tell you right now that he is pricey. His web page shows that. A starting build for $400.....Hmmm I know a 'smith that gives you the moly resin coating, adds the correct selector marks and detentes, and hides his builder info for $50 less than his basic build. Fuller is a good smith, but he is into modifications/custom work and his prices reflect that. He is no different than Red Jacket and I have yet to see him mentioned in any historical/restoration publications or see any of his work on display. I am not taking anything away from his ability or skills at all. At the end of the day, when the dust has settled, you still have Romanian Garda rifle....unless its plated in gold, its still a $400 weapon-even if Mikhail built it himself. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.......
I have a 1950 Russian AK-47 built on a receiver with all Russian marks. No English anywhere. If it wasn't for the simple fact that I have a receipt and paperwork stating who it ways assembled by, it will pass as a true Russian from that period. The kit alone is worth more than your weapon. And I know this because I have a 1951 kit that I just sold. I eat, sleep, and breath AK...Soviet weapons in general...and am quite positive I know more about their worth than you ever will. I'm not trying to be a prick, but I have sat and watched AKs go the way of ARs and many of you are getting ripped because of false hype. Arsenal has been doing it years, and now Izhmash is too with their Legion (SGL) line of weapons. Many builders are on board with it too because the uninformed fork out the cash. You should really look into the profit margins in this segment...its almost 100% for some builders that give you average quality. If you are happy with it, great, but don't try to impress those with things you not of...

What upgrades did you get?? Did you get that old trick of widening the notch on the leaf sight?? Did you get the small AR front pin?? Recrown the barrel?? Polished feed ramp?? 4lb trigger?? Adjustable gas system?? 22mm fsb with brake?? AiM74 carrier?? Rebounding firing pin?? New 'progressive' recoil springs??
Your $400 assesment is just that. I go to gun shows and see what a $400 AK looks like and it's junk compared to mine! Canted sights, rust, missing peices, and poor overall shape! Mine is like new and was redone like new. Polished feed ramps, SLR-106 folding stock and Houge pistol grip, G2 trigger kit, Wolverine fortress flash hider, Fuller rear site, Ultimak gas tube with picannty rail, the weapon has all new parkerized finish inside and out that is just the stuff off the top of my head. I think your $400 is insane due to the fact junk is $400.00. Id say mine is a $650 to $850 gun to the rite guy who can appreciate a like new AK with all the extras. You really seem to know your stuff on AK's but you seem to be shut off on the mid to lower teir AK's and bunch them in a catagory you feal is beneth you. This is fine. I hope your not dissing our AK's cause you are a upper teir historical collector and ours are beneith you. Oh and this is a matching #'s kit (not that, that is a huge deal)

#20 ·
Your $400 assesment is just that. I go to gun shows and see what a $400 AK looks like and it's junk compared to mine! Canted sights, rust, missing peices, and poor overall shape! Mine is like new and was redone like new. Polished feed ramps, SLR-106 folding stock and Houge pistol grip, G2 trigger kit, Wolverine fortress flash hider, Fuller rear site, Ultimak gas tube with picannty rail, the weapon has all new parkerized finish inside and out that is just the stuff off the top of my head. I think your $400 is insane due to the fact junk is $400.00. Id say mine is a $650 to $850 gun to the rite guy who can appreciate a like new AK with all the extras. You really seem to know your stuff on AK's but you seem to be shut off on the mid to lower teir AK's and bunch them in a catagory you feal is beneth you. This is fine. I hope your not dissing our AK's cause you are a upper teir historical collector and ours are beneith you. Oh and this is a matching #'s kit (not that, that is a huge deal)
They are not beneath me, I don't care how you dress it up-it is what it is. You gotta $400 build with $400 worth of retail parts...$50 polish of the ramp (there is only one), $20 trigger kit, $15 grip, $65 gas tube, $95 fore grip, $35 worth of machining on a rear sight, a $50 flash hider that has teeth, but is the same design as the $10 Romanian RPK model, $85 AKSU folding trunnion and lock with a $75 poly folding stock (these are prices for Russian made parts distributed from England)...and it may be a tad cheaper, I haven't checked prices in the last month-this is not a retail price but prices I pay for the same things. Yeah, I got it like that...And matching numbers don't mean anything, i have seen AKs with same serial numbers before because replacement parts (if new, some reground) will be restamped if push comes to shove. Just like any surplus rifle, they pull all their parts off and reassemble them with any parts that make the best weapon. Has little effect on value unless its a rare kit.

Ain't nothing lower than a Romanian in the world of AKs. Thin barrels, harsh machining, out of spec parts, weak rivets....The Garda is a 'parade' weapon. The only semi-auto AK ever produced for the military. It shows more attention to detail with machining. At the end of the day, when hundreds of rounds have been fired, the grouping from a Romanian will be far less than anything else. Not by fractions of inches, but by how many inches. I'm not diss'n anything, I have 9 Garda AKs, hell I have 21 Romanian kits from Pm.63s, 65, 86, 90, AiM74s...med to average quality machining and fit. Bulgaria helped them solve the 5,45 barrel issue to stop it from 'walking' when it got hot. 5,45 WaSRs have Bulgarian barrels.... Ever wonder why their handguns and SKSs are so expensive?? Ever wonder why their AKs are so cheap?? Romania has never been a quality AK producer, close enough has always been good enough.

#26 ·
Thanks for sharing the video. It is good to see someone else give their feedback on the gun. His is in better shape then mine. But he is right about the fit and finish of the gun. It's nice. I want to know where to get the Chinese drum magazine he is talking about. I have Two 30 rnd magazines but I want a drum mag asap. Any info would be nice.

Would it be worth taking my Poly Tech to a gun smith to see if he could "Clean it up" a bit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.