Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm looking at upgrading my rifle before hunting season rolls around, and I started thinking about a few different ways I could go. I currently have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark .300 Win Mag.

I was thinking about possibly going one of two ways:

1) I would simply upgrade to the Weatherby Accumark .30-378
2) I would pair my Schmidt Bender scope with a nice German/European rifle; preferably a .300 Wby. Mag.

I kind of like the idea of option 2, as I would like to get away from the every day Remington, Browning, etc. that everyone has in their gun cabinet (not that there's anything wrong with that, I myself have several). Plus, like I said, I like the idea of pairing a nice European gun with my European optics. I don't have crazy $$ to spend, but I do have a decent budget. To be honest I don't really know a whole lot about European gun manufactures, so I was hoping some of you could enlighten me. I was looking at the Mauser M03 rifles, and like them; plus I can add a fluted barrel, and few other extras. How do the new Mausers stack up against the Weatherby? Should I just forget it and go with the Weatherby (which I am also strongly considering)? What other gun manufactures should I be looking at?

*One important thing to note, I am a left handed shooter, so I would prefer that the gun be left handed as well.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I do not know how much my advice is going to help because I myself am a huge Weatherby fan..I have a German Mk V in .300WBY and a Stainless Mk V in 300 WBY..My German weatherby has a Zeiss 3.5-14.50 mm on it and I would not trade it for any rifle on the open market..I also own a .340 Weatherby in a Mk V sporter..Another keeper..The stainless is the one I use the most and its equiped with a Leupold and I have no complaints..I would stick with Weatherby..S&B scopes are extremely nice as I have one on my Steyr SSG and have never looked back..But for hunting I think there are great optics out there that don't break the bank yet provide very good quality..Leupold for about 800.00 or S&B for about 2000.00 ...I hate the though of beating up my S&B..some food for thought..

Oh and the .30-378 is a great caliber!!

This in my opinion is the perfect setup for the hunts I go on up here..

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I found a good compromise... Think I'm going to get a custom made Weatherby Mark V Euromark (in left hand), and add the ultra package to it.

Now the only question is which caliber?? Leaning toward .300 Wby Mag. But the .30-378 is still in the back of my mind. To tell the truth, I'm a little scared of the recoil @ around 50 lbs! :D Plus the additional 2" might be a bit cumbersome in a deer stand, and the like.... don't know though; choices, choices.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
You already have the best rifle in the Weatherby Mark 5. Are you just wanting to get a left hand rifle instead of a right hand one? What are you going to do with the Weatherby you now have?

300 weatherby mag is way over kill for using in a deer stand. Why do you want shuch a powerful cartridge?

What type of game do you hunt and at what range? Bullet selection will be determined by what you use it for. Lighter calibers will reduce flinch and could improve accuracy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You already have the best rifle in the Weatherby Mark 5. Are you just wanting to get a left hand rifle instead of a right hand one? What are you going to do with the Weatherby you now have?

300 weatherby mag is way over kill for using in a deer stand. Why do you want shuch a powerful cartridge?

What type of game do you hunt and at what range? Bullet selection will be determined by what you use it for. Lighter calibers will reduce flinch and could improve accuracy.

I currently have a Weatherby .300 win mag, left hand. I like the Wby. Mag more than the Win Mag, and would have purchased it at the time I bought my current gun, except that at the time I bought it, Weatherby was offering no left hand version in any model; I bought it very slightly used off of Gunbroker. I hunt on a flat prairie, so my shots can vary from 100 yrds to as far as you can see. That being said, I would take a shot at a deer that is around 300 yds +, but I would defiantly take a shot at a hog or coyote at 400, 500, +
Also, I am planning on doing some elk hunting in the future, so I want a gun that I can also take.
I'm leaning towards the wood finishes now as well... as I get a little older, I am liking the nice wood that I think would compliment my high end optics as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts