Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range yesterday and had a problem w/ my slide not opening up when the mag was empty. I know there are threads on here dealing w/ that, but don't have a clue what to search to find them. I don't want to waste anyone's time with typing out information that is already here, so can someone direct me in the right direction to search? Thanks!

·
21,879 Posts
You had your finger on the slide release.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not saying that having a finger on the slide release isn't a possiblity because I'm still new to this, so anything is possible! However, could it be anything else? I've put 1200+ rounds through this gun (XDm 9mm) without this ever happening before, and I don't think my grip was any different yesterday than the last 4 or 5 times I've been to the range.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Next time you go to the range, fire the last shot of the magazine left handed to make sure no fingers are around the slide release. See if it still happens

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm not saying that having a finger on the slide release isn't a possiblity because I'm still new to this, so anything is possible! However, could it be anything else? I've put 1200+ rounds through this gun (XDm 9mm) without this ever happening before, and I don't think my grip was any different yesterday than the last 4 or 5 times I've been to the range.

Take it apart. Is anything broken? No? Then it's your finger or thumb riding the top of the slide release. 99.9999999999999999999999999% sure. The only possibility that leaps to mind is the bent wire spring that holds the slide release lever up (and keeps the take down lever in place) could be broken. You would feel a lack of spring pressure.

If you don't know what or how to "take it apart", field strip the gun. Rotate and pull the take down lever until it comes out. Drive out the 2 pins that are holding the trigger assembly in place. Lift the trigger assembly up and out. Slight rotation clockwise while lifting will help. The trigger bar will come out with it. NOTE how it is in there so you can put it back the same way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Most likely your grip thumb on the slide release, as others have said. Happens to me all the time, and I'm not too concerned about it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the input. I think before I start taking it apart, I'll try the suggestion to shoot the last round with my weak hand and see what happens. More than likely, the problem is me and that should show it. If not, I'll start looking at the gun itself and figure it out from there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the range last night, and as you all suspected, the problem was me. I made a point of covering my strong hand thumb w/ my weak hand thumb, and out of 200 rounds, not one problem. Thanks for the help, guys! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Glad to hear you got it solved!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Yep, that made up statistic of 99.9999999999999999999999999% is still accurate!

Look on the bright side, you've identified a problem and can now put in corrective actions. Having your thumbs in the correct places all the time will also help tighten your groups too.

keep shooting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts