Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering giving my xd40 a new look. Has anyone used the dura cote stuff? Easy to use? What all do I need to get from them to get a professional looking job? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you plan on doing it yourself you may want to invest in a nice airbrush to give it a consistent even finish, practice spraying some scrap metal to get a feel on how the airbrush will lay down the coat. you will also have to prep the parts perfectly, meaning slide must be completly strip and every nook, crack or crevise degreased. 90% of the quality of your finish will lay in how you prep it.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Personally, I would not mess with it. Why,
because it is more trouble than it is worth
when Ajames will do for a song.

Ed

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ed Ely said:
Personally, I would not mess with it. Why,
because it is more trouble than it is worth
when Ajames will do for a song.

Ed
That is what I did. I used an airbrush for 9 years when I did taxidermy and I would not do it. By the time you buy all the stuff, you could have an expert do a few guns. But, if you are just wanting to do it and learn, then practice a lot with cheaper paints to get used to the airbrush, then practice with the DuraCoat. Air brushes can be a pain in the ass, but they are a must for applications like these.

Good Luck on your decisions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just can't stand the idea of running around 'naked' while the work is done. I have looked at his site and he is very reasonable and his turn-around looks very good. I think I'll go that route. I think I'll have him install some sights while he has it. Thanks all for the input...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey All,
Well, I took the plunge and bought a setup to spray durakote. It probably cost me about $100 to spray durakote on a set of scope rings and refinish an old bayonet (and I have a few project guns/knives to get to when time permits). This investment does not include a compressor to power the airbush. Now, I was able to achieve consistent results, but I think I would have been better off going through someone else to do it because of the cost. Unless that is I can come into a bunch of guns needing a little attention...

JSR

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey All,
Well, I took the plunge and bought a setup to spray durakote. It probably cost me about $100 to spray durakote on a set of scope rings and refinish an old bayonet (and I have a few project guns/knives to get to when time permits). This investment does not include a compressor to power the airbush. Now, I was able to achieve consistent results, but I think I would have been better off going through someone else to do it because of the cost. Unless that is I can come into a bunch of guns needing a little attention...

JSR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts