Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a deer rifle for my brother as a gift.
I have about $300 to spend. Maybe a bit more for the right gun.
I am willing to buy used. But used guns must for sale in lower Michigan or norther Ohio.

I am not sure what to get him.
I know he dos not want a gun that will kick really hard. And that It needs to have a scope on it and be ready to go. I know he will not target shoot with it much other then to sight it in and make sure he can hit what he wants.

I know that he dose not car if it had a wood stock or composite, and that he wants a bolt action gun that holds 4 rounds or so.

Can you guys recommend a gun for me that will do the job and not brake the bank?

I don't know that much about rifles. i'm more of a pistol guy and am not a gun hunter right now. Thou I may get back in to it at some point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,741 Posts

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Any deer rifle capable of taking a deer will have decent recoil..you want to shoot a large enough round to make the best possible 1 shot stop rather than wound and have the animal run off and then die somewhere in deep brush while hiding.

P.S. Just in case you didn't know..and believe it or not some people getting into deer hunting (and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I'm looking at the Remington 770 I think.
I found a place local that has one for $257.86 with scope in stock.
That leaves me some room to buy him some ammo to go with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He did ask for a bolt action gun thou. Do they even make a 30-30 in bolt action?
I have not seen one yet and have been researching guns all day.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
He did ask for a bolt action gun thou. Do they even make a 30-30 in bolt action?
I have not seen one yet and have been researching guns all day.
Not that I am aware of. The 30-30 is a rounded point round intended for a tubular mag. A pointy tip bullet is preferred for long shots. they won't work in a tube, but work fine with a bolt action.

You are talking about OH and MI and not knowing much about hunting or guns. Does your Brother even hunt were a rifle is legal?

I would avoid the 770 myself.

I'll put in another vote for the .243. 308 and 270win are also good and very common rounds.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I am aware of. The 30-30 is a rounded point round intended for a tubular mag. A pointy tip bullet is preferred for long shots. they won't work in a tube, but work fine with a bolt action.

You are talking about OH and MI and not knowing much about hunting or guns. Does your Brother even hunt were a rifle is legal?

I would avoid the 770 myself.

I'll put in another vote for the .243. 308 and 270win are also good and very common rounds.
Yes rifle hunting is legal where we live in west Michigan.

I'm leaning towred the 270 right now I think. If it was for me I would get a 308, but He said he did not want something that kicked really hard. Not sure how hard a 308 kicks thou.

Everything I have read on the 770 so far has been positive. Your the first one to say they would stay away from it.
Care to explain why for a noob?:confused:

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
Everything I have read on the 770 so far has been positive. Your the first one to say they would stay away from it.
Care to explain why for a noob?:confused:
What I've read of it says that it might be a fine if low quality gun, but the number of barrel split reports I've read of seams a bit high for my tastes.

I would personally look for a used gun myself. If you go new, I've heard Savage and Weatherby make entry level guns held in higher esteem than the 770

If I were looking for a new hunting rifle, I'd probably go with a single shot break open. like a Rossi or H&R and get a couple different barrels for it. probably a muzzle loader and a center-fire rifle.

You might want to look here for a hunting rifle in MI;
Firearms For Sale - MGO Community Forum
be warned though, some are so far from being deals, its a running joke on the forum.

The more I think about it, your brother might not realize there is a difference between a lever gun and a bolt action. If he wants a 30-30, give him a 336

I have never shot a 30-30, but I imagine it would be lighter recoiling than a 243, 270 or 308 that I have all shot, and not noticed a real significant recoil difference between any of them.

on last thing; are you and your brother an OH residents or a MI residents?
If you are one, and he is the other, you'd have to get a home state FFL involved at the receiving end. that also goes for buying a gun from a private party across state lines.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Stop! Where in Lower Michigan will he be hunting? If it is south of the Cadillac area, then you need to get him a shotgun. Rifles, specifically high-powered rifles are not allowed in lower michigan. He can use a rifled shot gun, or black powder. Mossburg makes a good combo, but I don't now the price.
I think pistols and cowboy style rifles (rifles chambered for pistol rounds like .44) are also allowed.

If you are hunting in an area where a rifle is legal, then I would recommend a .270. Yes it does kick, but it is a good caliber. I would check into savage arms, or try to find a used Remmington 700.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I've read of it says that it might be a fine if low quality gun, but the number of barrel split reports I've read of seams a bit high for my tastes.

I would personally look for a used gun myself. If you go new, I've heard Savage and Weatherby make entry level guns held in higher esteem than the 770

If I were looking for a new hunting rifle, I'd probably go with a single shot break open. like a Rossi or H&R and get a couple different barrels for it. probably a muzzle loader and a center-fire rifle.

You might want to look here for a hunting rifle in MI;
Firearms For Sale - MGO Community Forum
be warned though, some are so far from being deals, its a running joke on the forum.

The more I think about it, your brother might not realize there is a difference between a lever gun and a bolt action. If he wants a 30-30, give him a 336

I have never shot a 30-30, but I imagine it would be lighter recoiling than a 243, 270 or 308 that I have all shot, and not noticed a real significant recoil difference between any of them.

on last thing; are you and your brother an OH residents or a MI residents?
If you are one, and he is the other, you'd have to get a home state FFL involved at the receiving end. that also goes for buying a gun from a private party across state lines.
Already been threw all 33 pages of the MGO for sale forum. LOL And yes there are some people in there that thins they are selling gold!

And we both live in Michigan.

Stop! Where in Lower Michigan will he be hunting? If it is south of the Cadillac area, then you need to get him a shotgun. Rifles, specifically high-powered rifles are not allowed in lower michigan. He can use a rifled shot gun, or black powder. Mossburg makes a good combo, but I don't now the price.
I think pistols and cowboy style rifles (rifles chambered for pistol rounds like .44) are also allowed.

If you are hunting in an area where a rifle is legal, then I would recommend a .270. Yes it does kick, but it is a good caliber. I would check into savage arms, or try to find a used Remmington 700.
Rifle is legal where he lives. Not legal where I live.
I have done more research and like the Savage Edge XP in .270.
Found it for $314.00 new.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If your brother wants a 30-30 in a bolt gun, they can be had but are hard to find. If he is set on that caliber go check out pawn shops. Here in Ga. around this time of year they are everywhere for sale for around $250. My suggestion, as others have said too, would be to get a Marlin 336, it is accurate durable and rattles less than a Winchester.

Lots of folks here use the Remington 770, I've never laid my hands on one but I hear it's ugly but decent. I can attest to the quality of a Savage rifle, they are awesome! As far as single shots go, there are quality rifles made but are out of your price range. Before anyone gets offended by that let me say that I own two H&R handi rifles and love them, but they took a good bit of tinkering with to make them good shooters.

As far as caliber, that's up to what he's willing to shoot. .243, 7mm-08, 30-30, .270 .30-06 are all great calibers and some kick more than others. A Sims recoil pad will help tame a lot of that recoil. My 14 year old son is currently shooting a Model 70 in .30-06 with a pad and loves it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
2nd vote to avoid the Rem. 770, best gun for your price is Savage-Stevens model 200, recommend the .270 or .308 cal., stock is not great, but the gun is shooter and very easy to upgrade.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I have an older Winchester model 70 in .270. It is in my opinion the perfect deer rifle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to get him a lever action 30-30. But I think he wants a bolt action gun.
If I go bolt it will be a .270 or a .308.

I'm Having a Hard time finding a gun that fits his needs/wants and my price range.

Thou it is looking like the Savage is the top of the list right now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I ended up getting him a Marlin 336w 30-30 with case, scope, carry strap, and some ammo.
Its used but looks brand new! Only had 30 rounds put threw it.

I think he is going to love it!

He has been asking for a hunting rifle for 3 years now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts