Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on putting together a general BOB to sell on my website. I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys of some essentials that you would include in this bag. If you guys wouldn't mind, can you list the top 10-15 things that you would include in a bug out bag or a get home bag? Can you also list the type of climate in your area so it might tell me a bit more about why you chose those items?
(Please do not include firearms or ammo)
I would appreciate it greatly -

Thank You
Eric

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Eric, I've put together an EDC kit and have been selling it on eBay and a couple other forums. One thing I've found, unless you find the right target market, most people want to assemble their own. I'd suggest keeping that in mind as you assemble this product.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I'm sure you know it, is the Rule of Threes. Three minutes without air; three hours without shelter; three days without water; three weeks without food; three months without hope. I use that as my guiding principle when I put together a BoB.

So, in keeping with that line of thought, here is what I would suggest as minimum contents for a true 72-hour BoB:

1. N95 Mask(s)
2. Space Blanket
3. Emergency Bivvy
4. Water Purification Tablets or Portable Water Filter
5. Water Container, e.g. bladder, Nalgene bottle, etc.
6. High-protein/High-calorie Snack Bars
7. Freeze-dried Meal
8. Compass & Map
9. Warm/Spare Clothing & Good Shoes/Boots
10. First Aid Kit
11. Waterproof Matches & Tinder
12. Multi-tool
13. Signal Whistle & Mirror
14. Flashlight or Headlamp
15. Deck of Cards

·
Registered
837 Posts
Fifteen generic things I can think of real quick are:

Flashlight
Knife or multi-tool
Duct tape
emergency whistle
first aid kit
Space Blanket
Paracord
Matches or Fire starter
Some kind of tinder
Water purification tablets
Contractor bags
Ziplock bag
Metal cup
Headlamp
Pen and paper

These are just generic things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure how specific or expensive you want to get.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One thing you could consider is adding a few tools to the get home bag. There are a few places you could get them cheap. It might add weight, but could be useful in a city or on the road. Maybe a small pry bar, box cutter, spring loaded punch to break a window (some poor young girl drown in Jersey when her car flooded this weekend), things like that. Wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
I for one am a big control freak and our "3 day bag" is actually two (2) very big and heavy duffles that will and do take two adults to drag them along. The dinky wheels on the bottom really help.

Have you considered a bigger, more comprehensive bag...like for the entire family of 4 for perhaps 7 days instead of the smaller 3 day bags designed only for one person?

Also....how about marketing a mega bag that can be 1) put in the car 2) wheeled behind a bycyle or motorcycle or 3) with a long handle sossss one person can tow it while walking?

I will NOT include the subject of procruing alternate transportation, be what it may....or ways of getting inside or underground in a hurry if you don't have permission. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I for one am a big control freak and our "3 day bag" is actually two (2) very big and heavy duffles that will and do take two adults to drag them along. The dinky wheels on the bottom really help.

Have you considered a bigger, more comprehensive bag...like for the entire family of 4 for perhaps 7 days instead of the smaller 3 day bags designed only for one person?

Also....how about marketing a mega bag that can be 1) put in the car 2) wheeled behind a bycyle or motorcycle or 3) with a long handle sossss one person can tow it while walking?

I will NOT include the subject of procruing alternate transportation, be what it may....or ways of getting inside or underground in a hurry if you don't have permission. HB of CJ (old coot)
That is something I have not thought about however think it might be worth looking into. The only draw back I can see is that it would be quite expensive. 1 week for a family of 4. your probably looking in the neighborhood of a few hundred dollars. (I don't use cheap crap, I figure if you pay for it once - that should be the only time you have to pay for it)

·
Registered
61 Posts
In addition to a pre-made bag, what about offering a list of items that people can pick and choose what they want? Have options for different size/model bags and then options for a variety of items they can buy to come with the bag. Basically, they choose what they want in their bag and then you build it and send them the completed/packed BOB.

·
Registered
776 Posts
A small inexpensive hand held radio that repeatedly scans all 14 channels. I have one from Motorola. Some of these have a range of over 8 miles in flat country.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some additional considerations:

allergy medicine (even if you dont have allergies)
2-3 ounces of high proof alcohol (like 160 proof vodka)
3-4 hankerchiefs
small portable am/fm shortwave radio
tarp
poncho/poncho tarp

where in pennsylvania are you btw? If you were near philly/s.e. pa I would have a very different bag than if I was east of Erie.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think you may want to look in to an al a cart type of set up.

People like to build their own GHB or BOB because their individual needs will be dependent on geographic location. The seasons should also be taken into account for the items needed and the size requirement for that bag.

For example, a water purification system would be great in an abundant water area but be a waste of money in other parts of the country where a water bladder/ bottle would be a requirement.

I have been on your site several times and you do cater to the more serious individual and in my opinion, that a good thing. I think if you offered several types and sizes of bags (empty) with several different verities (price and extent of the gear included) of prepackaged kits (medical, water, food, excreta) you would be able to appeal to the more serious individuals that you already cater to. That way people would still be able to get a custom bag with quality items that actually fills the individual needs of that person.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you may want to look in to an al a cart type of set up.

People like to build their own GHB or BOB because their individual needs will be dependent on geographic location. The seasons should also be taken into account for the items needed and the size requirement for that bag.

For example, a water purification system would be great in an abundant water area but be a waste of money in other parts of the country where a water bladder/ bottle would be a requirement.

I have been on your site several times and you do cater to the more serious individual and in my opinion, that a good thing. I think if you offered several types and sizes of bags (empty) with several different verities (price and extent of the gear included) of prepackaged kits (medical, water, food, excreta) you would be able to appeal to the more serious individuals that you already cater to. That way people would still be able to get a custom bag with quality items that actually fills the individual needs of that person.
Excellent idea thank you

·
Registered
776 Posts
battery charger...I use an old set of solar lights to charge my AA batteries. The newer solar lights have an off/on switch that allows you to charge batteries without the light coming on after dark.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Our boggie bag is soss large because it does contain some luxury/barter items like booze, smokes, candy, dice, cards, chewing gum, etc., etc..

Since both of us (she and me) are kinda old coots, (don't tell HER that!) we have lots of required Rx stuff and other stuff like better sleeping bags,

...air mattresses, a better tent and the regional stuff like "keep dry" rain protection and warm clothing in the winter and lots and lots of water

...in the dry season. Bug protection is also high on the list. Also included are the relunctant weapons, ammo and defense stuff plus the big, first aid

...kit. We have way too much stuff just for 2 people for 3 days, but by going slightly hungry the time can be stretched out to 7 days. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Eric,
I held off for a few days to see what others might suggest, and unfortunately I don't have much to add.

IMO, a BOB is so personal to the requirements of the individual, and their geographic location + time of year, that it's hard to make any generic suggestions.

Example:
In an Arizona summer, I'd throw most of the stuff out, and replace it with bottled water.

In the winter, the water would come out, and other stuff would go in.
The À la carte method, suggested above, seems to make sense.

·
Registered
776 Posts
One more item that is a must have, TECNU Oak-n-Ivy. Anyone that has ever had a good dose of poison ivy will understand. This stuff is great for preventing the poison ivy oils to enter the skin and helps to prevent the spread. Sold in most drug stores

1 - 18 of 18 Posts