Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an extensive search and couldnt find a specific enough answer, so...

What does "lightly oil" mean. I am using break free CLP, do you want to be able to see a coat of oil on the parts or feel a coat of oil? Should it be glistening with oil?

Would this technique work: If i just run a patch with CLP on it over everything, let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe it completely off with a rag/patch. Does that leave enough oil remaining on the parts to be called a "light coat of oil" ?

I just want to be sure that i am not over oiling so it never ends up feeling like a piece of KFC chicken. :shock:

thanks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
where did you get your CLP at? i was using this at work tonite to treat corrsion on our planes. Stuff works great for heavy corrsion. my buddy said they used to use it in the army to clean there guns and was wondering tonite if CLP was a military thing or you could buy it at the hardware store under a diffent name.?.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep,

Wipe on, let sit a bit, wipe off. Should be left with an light coat of oil.

If you can see a "drop" or "pool" of oil on something, you've got too much.

You also know when you've got too much when you fire it and it spits on your face... There's just not a lot of metal to metal contact on the gun.

-stunks

P.S. If your fingers are really oily, you can use them to spread oil around then wipe excess

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You can buy it at most gun shops.

A light coat of oil means it shouldnt be running off of the gun. When I oil my guns, I put several drops on the barrel smear it around with my finger and then insert it into the gun. I then place a drop on the barrel locking lugs and then insert the guie rod. Then I hold the slide up and place 1 or 2 drops in the slide rails and let it run down a bit and then slide it on. After its assembled, I put several drops on the finish and rub it in with my fingers and then using a clean rag, wipe off all excess.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
S281:
You answered your own question with the oily patch and wipe down. Too much oil in the innards and you'll get splattered the first round or two you fire. I've been using a silcone treated cloth for several years now on the outside and that works well. I still use oil on the rails.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys.

blefferd said:
where did you get your CLP at? i was using this at work tonite to treat corrsion on our planes. Stuff works great for heavy corrsion. my buddy said they used to use it in the army to clean there guns and was wondering tonite if CLP was a military thing or you could buy it at the hardware store under a diffent name.?.
Blefferd, you can get it anywhere that usually has gun cleaners. I have seen it at cabelas, academy sports, most gun shops. Its not a specifically for the millitary thing. its marketed as break free CLP everywhere. IF you are in the south, academy has it the cheapest for that i have seen for a 4oz bottle. $3.59

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
ya thats what its called at work to Break Free CLP. i guess i just never paid attention when i was buying lubricants for my guns. i usually use Rem Oil.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Enos slide glide on all my bottomfeeders in the moving parts areas. It works well and cleans easily.

I also use it on the innards of my wheelguns. I brush it on and wipe it off of the rebound slide/spring and other metal to metal parts.

Works great.

Dave

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just dunk it in 10w30 and wipe the excess off with one of my wifes dish towels and leave it muzzle down over the kitchen sink until it stops coming out of the barrel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
HighVelocity said:
gsfmiker said:
I just dunk it in 10w30 and wipe the excess off with one of my wifes dish towels and leave it muzzle down over the kitchen sink until it stops coming out of the barrel.
oh man, oh man :|
What, no sense of humor? :lol:
yeah, it was funny. I was just thinking how my girl would probably shoot me with my own gun for doing that to her sink and towels! :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts